21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
hasbeen

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by hasbeen »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:21 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:07 am The only part that worries me is that we all thought last year's team sucked and now we are returning 4 of the 5 starters from that sucky team.
That's fair, but I don't think last year's team sucked because these guys weren't talented. Issue #1 was lack of a point guard. I think a guy like Remy Martin elevates the level of this team. Jalen could also become a star this year.
Still just not sure how much I can buy this.

“Our shooters hesitate to shoot and our big man’s a spaz.”

Must be the point guard’s fault.
It's not all the point guard's fault. But a high level PG gets our timid shooters even better looks and gets our spaz big man easier buckets. Everything flows from a lead guard that can create off the bounce. I don't understand how you can watch modern basketball (and especially Bill Self's teams over the last few years) and conclude anything other than the requirement of a high-level lead guard.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:39 am I still think Braun starts but that's the most likely of guys to be jumped by one of our endless guard options.
On one hand, it’s not a stretch to suggest Self will keep starting a returning starter, especially when the player has that “teacher’s pet” vibe.

But on the other hand, with all the talent Self brought in to address specific issues last year’s team had, and many of them only available for one year as it is, I dunno if he brought them in just to keep the walkons company.

We got options.

jk LOL of course Self is gonna play the teacher’s pet, just so we on the boreds can whine about the suggestion box and wonder whether what we got on the bench would help the team actually score double digit points by halftime.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:24 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:07 am The only part that worries me is that we all thought last year's team sucked and now we are returning 4 of the 5 starters from that sucky team.
The one guy you replace is a non-scoring guard with an elite scoring guard. That team also went about 7 deep, and a lot of time had two guys who weren't a threat to shoot. There was absolutely zero bench scoring. Now you have two proven scorers coming off the bench and a big who wouldn't get pushed around in a pickup game at the local Y. Although, Mitch probably will still be the first big off the bench early, but I'm excited about the different dynamic Cam brings. Has their been a pick and pop type of 5 since Markieff?

The starters weren't the reason the team was "sucky", they "sucked" because when things went south, who could you put in to try and switch things up? That's not the case this year. They also had some pretty nice wins during the year, to go with a 2nd place finish in the Big 12, for such a "sucky" team.
Agreed. And yes, it sure is nice when the "sucky" version of your team finishes 2nd in the Big 12, gets a top tier seed and has some really good wins.

But it still makes me nervous until I see them play next season. I hope Braun, Agbaji and Wilson are putting up a ton of shots all summer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Think of how good Wilson was for stretches.

I bet he looks more like that his sophomore season.

I dont think we finish this next season out of the top 10.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, Wilson showed flashes like he actually wants to be the guy.

Best rebounder by a margin too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:20 am
That's fair, but I don't think last year's team sucked because these guys weren't talented. Issue #1 was lack of a point guard. I think a guy like Remy Martin elevates the level of this team. Jalen could also become a star this year.
Yes, it's this. Remy is the key. Without him, this team is good but nowhere near great.
Bill's been around long enough that there have been several ways, but in the offense as we run it now, an alpha lead guard is a must. And Remy should be just that.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i don’t recall many saying last year’s squad “sucked”...just that it was full of role-players. it had a bunch of Robins and no Batman

hopefully Remy brings the alpha that the team needs
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I still think someone on last years squad has the ability to "become Batman".
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ability, yes

problem is almost always between the ears
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:40 am
hasbeen wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:20 am

Yes, it's this. Remy is the key. Without him, this team is good but nowhere near great.
Bill's been around long enough that there have been several ways, but in the offense as we run it now, an alpha lead guard is a must. And Remy should be just that.
I think without an elite PG, the only way for F4 success is through a Morris/Morris/Robinson frontcourt.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I'll also reiterate that I think the best version of this team is where Braun comes off the bunch.

- lobser
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Why is Braun better off the bench? Like strategy wise what makes that more effective for the team? Or is it solely because people don't like him?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cuz he’s a limited athlete who matches up better with other team’s second units.

on any other KU Self roster besides last year, Braun would be coming off the bench.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

*Whispers*

If Dave avoids that bad stretch that he had early in the year, he'll be the best player on the team and a 1st team All American.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Maybe he would feel confident enough to shoot if he was playing against opposing bench players more. Who knows.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think better perimeter play will certainly benefit Dave too.

Maybe with guards actually looking to score and/or create, maybe we can run some offense besides forcing it to Dave double teamed in the post.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:12 am *Whispers*

If Dave avoids that bad stretch that he had early in the year, he'll be the best player on the team and a 1st team All American.
I expect that DMac will make it on an All American team this season. Maybe not 1st team but one of them.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:08 am Why is Braun better off the bench? Like strategy wise what makes that more effective for the team? Or is it solely because people don't like him?
I like him quite a bit, but I personally prefer 2 guards that handle the ball well. That leaves a wing spot for Braun or Ochai and OA is better.

I think he plays similar minutes to last year, but coming off the bench may loosen him up a bit so he doesn't hesitate on catch and shoot 3s.

- lobser
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 am Cuz he’s a limited athlete who matches up better with other team’s second units.

on any other KU Self roster besides last year, Braun would be coming off the bench.
How quickly we forget how many games Tyrel Reed, Brady Morningstar, and Conner Teahan started...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m looking forward to what Cam can bring as a backup 5 too.

if he can be a stronger Mitch, that alone stands to be an upgrade.

If he can be a stronger Mitch who also spreads the floor on offense shooting 40%+ from deep, right on