21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Deleted User 863 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:59 am there were stretches that he was the best player on the floor, and it was more than a couple of times.
I must have missed those times because i never felt anything remotely similar to that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remy and Joe aren’t freshmen.

Kyle and Bobby are.

We’re not playing 5 small guards. Heck, the third small guard may not get more than Rio “BofH” Adams minutes.

soup.gif
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:14 am Yeah, Dajuan is good, and it may be big that he’s the only non-scorer out there this year, rather than playing alongside other guards who can’t shoot either
It never helps to pair a non shooting guard with a back to the basket big. Makes it too easy to sag and clog up space. Hopefully Harris keeps developing his shooting if Self ends up playing him.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:59 am
I can easily see a lineup of Dajuan, Remy, CB, Ochai and McCormack out there quite often. Dajuan doesn't need to score, it's not his top preference, he can focus on being a distributor for the other 4 out there.
I can absolutely see him playing a Fr. Garrett type of role. It's no secret he won't be out there to score, but if he can be a defensive pest and facilitate to an alpha guard in Remy and various shooters, there will be a spot for him in the rotation.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i saw flashes from DH

he’s sneaky athletic, and showed an ability to get around his defender on multiple occasions

his jumper is broke, for sure, but it really seems like other than youth and inexperience, that that is the only glaring weakness in his game

plus he’s got time in the system on his side
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s weird to say a dood who shot like 65% from deep isn’t a good shooter.

But that’s skewed by a small sample size, and the fact he only took wide open shots cuz the defense didn’t even bother to guard him on the 3 point line
Deleted User 89

that’s a shockingly high percentage based on his mechanics

9/14 (per espn) lol
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Why do so many people think is shot is so broken? There's a difference between a broken shot and playing within yourself. He didn't shoot a ton, so obviously a small sample size, but when he did it went in at a very high clip.
Deleted User 89

a lot of guys with broke jumpers can shoot a decent percentage

the one the always comes to mind is Shawn Marion

when i say broke, i’m using an eye test...i knew nothing of DH’s percentages until Ousie mentioned it and prompted me to look
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:17 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:59 am there were stretches that he was the best player on the floor, and it was more than a couple of times.
I must have missed those times because i never felt anything remotely similar to that.
You just look at stats then. He did so many things that don't show up in box scores that are important for really good teams. If he can continue to be a pesky defender, take the shots that are open and be a really good handler of the basketball, that is quite valuable. If he can maintain the nearly 3 A/TO ratio, he'll play quite a few minutes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:02 am
You just look at stats then. He did so many things that don't show up in box scores that are important for really good teams. If he can continue to be a pesky defender, take the shots that are open and be a really good handler of the basketball, that is quite valuable. If he can maintain the nearly 3 A/TO ratio, he'll play quite a few minutes.
I wasn't stat sheet watching him. I watched the games.

I didn't think he was all that pesky of a defender (maybe by last years standards). He did get some good steals per game (stat sheet watching now), but at times i thought he had trouble guarding other teams bigger guards when we'd switch because of how small/skinny he is. Maybe he will put on some muscle over the summer. He is super young iirc.

I also didn't necessarily think his assists were the result of him being CP3 creating for others or setting up DMac for lobs. To me it often times just felt like a result of being the main ball handler and passing to open guys for 3s. But I'd need advanced stats to see how many of his assists were simply catch and shoot 3pt shots.

I like Harris, don't love him, but just don't think he has the talent level required to lead a team to a final 4. I think he can be a role player on a good team. I do not think he can be captain of the ship like a frank devonte tyshawn sherron etc. He just isn't that good to me (at least not yet, but probably not ever).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Dajuan is a serviceable player. I feel like there is a lot of extra love for him for some reason....maybe its like the underdog story or something. Hes fine, i like him, i hope he gets buried on the bench this year or our expectations are too high.
Just Ledoux it
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:02 am
Really hilarious to talk about a 3 A/TO ratio on such low volume. The guy barely averaged 2 assists per game.

Also, "he does things that don't show up on a stat sheet" is an old rhetorical device that I've used myself, but not to do crazy things like claim Harris is anything other than an OK college basketball player. He will play next season and likely progress as college kids typically do, but if he's a top 5 or 6 minutes guys then we aren't as good as we all expect to be now.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:23 am Dajuan is a serviceable player. I feel like there is a lot of extra love for him for some reason....maybe its like the underdog story or something. Hes fine, i like him, i hope he gets buried on the bench this year or our expectations are too high.
And maybe i am just a hater.

Some guys love TGF and DH. I don't...and others don't like CB, but i love his game and think he's going to develop into a guy who has a chance to make the NBA at some point....so it all comes down to preference i guess.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

If he can bulk up a bit, what's stopping him from having a RussRob type of career? The IQ is there. Doesn't force anything. Plays defense. 3 A/TO and how many assists were taken away by the team only being mediocre, at best, from 3 last year? Struggles when having to switch onto bigger guys? Who doesn't? That's why teams look for mismatches. Seems like people want to hate him because he's not a guy to go out at get 20 points.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:33 am
Really hilarious to talk about a 3 A/TO ratio on such low volume. The guy barely averaged 2 assists per game.
You're looking at the wrong side of the ratio.
Deleted User 863

Same thing with turnovers. He didn't play much. 16mpg.

His per 40s for A/TO was 5.4/2
Deleted User 89

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 am If he can bulk up a bit, what's stopping him from having a RussRob type of career? The IQ is there. Doesn't force anything. Plays defense. 3 A/TO and how many assists were taken away by the team only being mediocre, at best, from 3 last year? Struggles when having to switch onto bigger guys? Who doesn't? That's why teams look for mismatches. Seems like people want to hate him because he's not a guy to go out at get 20 points.
so much truth
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:45 am Same thing with turnovers. He didn't play much. 16mpg.

His per 40s for A/TO was 5.4/2
which is pretty fucking good for a frosh
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 am If he can bulk up a bit, what's stopping him from having a RussRob type of career? The IQ is there. Doesn't force anything. Plays defense. 3 A/TO and how many assists were taken away by the team only being mediocre, at best, from 3 last year? Struggles when having to switch onto bigger guys? Who doesn't? That's why teams look for mismatches. Seems like people want to hate him because he's not a guy to go out at get 20 points.
No one hates him because they don't want him to be the starting PG at the University of Kansas. Unless you're related to him, this protect-at-all costs stuff is super weird.

How many of those 2 assists per game came off him breaking the defense down and creating for someone else? How many came on basic passes within the offense? I'd bet more came from the latter, which is fine, but any guard playing meaningful minutes on a top 3 team needs to be better than "pesky" at some things and god awful at other things.

I don't care how many points he scores a game but it is difficult to play him if the defense doesn't fear his ability to score. But what is most important is that when the offense breaks down, he's able to beat his man off the bounce and get a lob for Dave or a 3 for OA in the corner. If he can go do those things, he should and will see the floor. I know he didn't have that ability last season and don't expect him to this season, but I hope I'm wrong.

I hope this Harris criticism isn't too traumatizing for you. You're in my thoughts.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser