The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

And this is more a commentary on the human experience and bro egos, but it’s wild how you can plan out a nice couple days of camping and fishing, and suddenly everybody has to impose their own plans and make it about themselves.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Ous: I am telling you! It is the way of the John Tesh fanbase you indulge.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Huh?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ous your friend/s are pussies. City boy pussies. They like the idea of the outdoors but only with strings attached. One of the best parts about being out there is rolling with where it goes. Who cares what ya eat or where ya sleep or if theres a fire. I mean, I have preferences on all of thst stuff, but, either way It sure as hell beats sitting in traffic.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes! Tdub POTD. This guy gets it.

If you’re free this weekend, pm me and I’ll tell you what lake to come find me with a canoe full of beers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Camping without a fire is a pretty big downer though...getting back to your human roots, despite the fact you've still got all these amenities, is a big part of the deal and mankind relied very much on fire for so long.

Dinner over the fire.
Drinks around it.
Fun.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, all other things being equal I’d prefer a fire.

But considering like half our county burned down last summer, I’m willing to forego it. I’m curious what it’s like to camp without a fire. I don’t think one can really write it off unless they’ve tried it first, right?

I got some portable rope lights and a lantern, so if any of you guys really wanna stay up all night, you can.

But otherwise, imma otherwise passed out shortly after dark, so that I can be up around sunup and catch the first fish of the day and be like 9 beers down by the time you guys even get out of your tents.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the caterpillars are coming for you, pdub

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... th/619376/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've done it ( no fire camping ) as we were too exhausted from hiking to build one and just cooked on the camp stove and crashed. And have been camping where we didnt pack a tarp and it was raining and wet.

Fire camping is better.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:43 pm Camping without a fire is a pretty big downer though...getting back to your human roots, despite the fact you've still got all these amenities, is a big part of the deal and mankind relied very much on fire for so long.

Dinner over the fire.
Drinks around it.
Fun.
pdub's fire take in this thread is indisputably the correct take.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, Trad, those mother fuckers are serious but I haven't been bothered by them yet ( may not be allergic ).

The BUD has had a couple instances over the years with mild reactions until just weeks ago, where she got it pretty bad ( we think ).

That said from the article:
"Once people get wind of the browntail moth they cancel their plans to come visit Maine"

Good. I'm tired of the tourist swarms.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

No campfire is no big deal.

I have camped many years up in the Holy Cross Wilderness. Mostly above 11,000 feet so no wood for a fire anyway. Mostly you sit and stare at the fire if you have one. Bring a bag of gummies and stare at the sky instead. At that elevation if the space station flies over you can see the gold foil wings with your naked eyes. You will be amazed how many satellites and meteors there are on any given night if you sit still and watch.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ia-photos/
One of the things that’s been gnawing at me as we struggle to convince our fellow citizens to get vaccinated is that it shouldn’t be this hard to do it. The vaccinations are quick, easy, and free. And yet there’s an actual “movement” gathered to resist the whole idea. If we can’t convince our fellow citizens to do this, how in the name of god are we going to convince them to make the sacrifices that the climate crisis inevitably will force upon us? The more I think about the climate crisis in the context of the pandemic, the gloomier I get.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:11 pm https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ia-photos/
One of the things that’s been gnawing at me as we struggle to convince our fellow citizens to get vaccinated is that it shouldn’t be this hard to do it. The vaccinations are quick, easy, and free. And yet there’s an actual “movement” gathered to resist the whole idea. If we can’t convince our fellow citizens to do this, how in the name of god are we going to convince them to make the sacrifices that the climate crisis inevitably will force upon us? The more I think about the climate crisis in the context of the pandemic, the gloomier I get.
^^^^^^^^^
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ousdahl’s outdoor thread bonus questions before the long weekend!

1. Three parter:
a. how many beers will ousdahl drink?
b. how many fish will ousdahl catch?
c. how many brats will ousdahl smash?
2. Two parter:
If you were a tourist enjoying a kayak or a sup on an alpine lake, and a bunch of drunk bros paddle up dressed like pirates and demand you drink with them, a. would you prefer a beer bong or pull of a bottle of rum? b. if they had some kind of 2x12 bored mounted on the front of the canoe like some kinda plank, would you walk it?
3. If a bunch of bros with like 200 beers and some rum are camped on the far side of a lake popular for tourist kayaking, how many of yall chicks are we gonna pick up?
4. If one of the bros in your group goes all BUT MAH RIGHTS and starts a fire despite the ban, how do you react?
5. Coffee - brew it hot on a camp stove, bring some kinda prepackaged cans/bottles, just get Red Bull or Mountain Dew or some other caffeinated product, or figure out some other kinda buzz?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

1. A. Somewhere between 7 and 700
B. Somewhere between 0 and 18. Inversely related to part a.
C. Somewhere between 3 snd 18. Positively related to part a.

2. Im not talking to anyone who calls themselves bros. Regardless of what they have i would be annoyed.

3. See #2.

4. See #2.

5. Make sock coffee. Or coors instead.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So in lieu of “sup bro” I guess I’ll try “ahoy matey” instead.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

1. Three parter:
a. how many beers will ousdahl drink? 42
b. how many fish will ousdahl catch? 1.5
c. how many brats will ousdahl smash? There's a hot dog joke in there somewhere.
2. Two parter:
a. would you prefer a beer bong or pull of a bottle of rum? beer, rum gives me a headache
b. if they had some kind of 2x12 bored mounted on the front of the canoe like some kinda plank, would you walk it? helzyea. Wait, how cold is the water?
3. If a bunch of bros with like 200 beers and some rum are camped on the far side of a lake popular for tourist kayaking, how many of yall chicks are we gonna pick up? 0
4. If one of the bros in your group goes all BUT MAH RIGHTS and starts a fire despite the ban, how do you react? Throw him in.
5. 5. Coffee - brew it hot on a camp stove, bring some kinda prepackaged cans/bottles, just get Red Bull or Mountain Dew or some other caffeinated product, or figure out some other kinda buzz? I'm 99, 99 roasts and grinds his own coffee. He has a camp percolator and a campstove. 99 drinks good coffee on campouts.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I believe the noted bard Brad Paisley has answered 1a and 1b with "all of them."
Deleted User 89

i don’t think the physics will work, re: walking the plank off of a canoe...depending on the length of the plank a buoyancy of the canoe