Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i didn’t realize Virgin’s or Amazon‘s financial success depended on successful commercialization of space flight

learn something new everyday
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm 1) there are parts of the economy that would benefit more from those investments

2) investing in our environment and/or conservation of the natural world has benefits far beyond economic ones, but those investments also benefit the economy in a much more lasting way
<sarcasm> I will assume then that every penny you spend is yo maximize it's impact on society as a whole. </sarcasm>
GTFO with that nonsense.

It cracks me up that people think that no one has a right to tell them what to do with their money but they sure find it easy to tell others what to do with their money.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

as they get richer, the toys get fancier.

minus the bleeding hearts who pretend to care about everything, who cares.
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:27 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:21 pm 1) there are parts of the economy that would benefit more from those investments

2) investing in our environment and/or conservation of the natural world has benefits far beyond economic ones, but those investments also benefit the economy in a much more lasting way
<sarcasm> I will assume then that every penny you spend is yo maximize it's impact on society as a whole. </sarcasm>
GTFO with that nonsense.

It cracks me up that people think that no one has a right to tell them what to do with their money but they sure find it easy to tell others what to do with their money.
i sure as hell try and be thoughtful about how i spend/invest my money, the businesses i support and the footprint i leave
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:30 pm as they get richer, the toys get fancier.

minus the bleeding hearts who pretend to care about everything, who cares.
you obviously do, despite your professions to the contrary
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

People lose their minds when it comes to really wealthy people.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:54 pm People lose their minds when it comes to really wealthy people.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:04 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:54 pm People lose their minds when it comes to really wealthy people.
I mean, yeah, this is true.

But also, look at the juxtaposition/timing of events.

We're coming out of a global pandemic, the environmental issues we're seeing (it was 130 degreed in death valley yesterday), there was a recent expose about the super rich not paying income tax that went viral, financial inequality keeps getting worse and worse, and is under more and more scrutiny. And, it's not 1, but 3 multi-billionaires, in a literal race to do space tourism. They don't have the far reaching long term goals of NASA. They're goal is space tourism which is just more rich people doing more expensive tours.

I'm not loosing sleep over it, but you'd be crazy not to think there'd be blow-back on this.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:24 pm

We're coming out of a global pandemic, the environmental issues we're seeing (it was 130 degreed in death valley yesterday), there was a recent expose about the super rich not paying income tax that went viral, financial inequality keeps getting worse and worse, and is under more and more scrutiny. And, it's not 1, but 3 multi-billionaires, in a literal race to do space tourism. They don't have the far reaching long term goals of NASA. They're goal is space tourism which is just more rich people doing more expensive tours.

I'm not loosing sleep over it, but you'd be crazy not to think there'd be blow-back on this.
Agreed.
Deleted User 89

i honestly care less about Musk and his effort to get to Mars than i do these two clowns, for exactly the reason phd mentioned...there is something greater at stake than a joyride into space for the uber wealthy

attaining the scientific ability to successfully man a mission to Mars has much more merit, imo
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think they can do whatever they want with their money but still get called out for it.
As mentioned, this isn't something for the good of mankind.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Rich people doing frivolous things always sets someone in a group of normal people into a tizzy. It will always be that way so this is exactly what I thought would happen.

I personally think it's neat that this is a real thing that can be done. To see it dovetail alongside polling that people are as optimistic about our future as they have been in more than a decade is encouraging and shows that people are wanting to do bold things again after having been cooped up for a year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanpo ... oll-shows/

If we stopped bitching and whining about whether rich people (who probably donate more to charity in a few years than I could possibly give in my lifetime) and enjoyed the fact that we are living in the dawn of commercial space exploration, we could be more excited for what this may mean to the lives of our children and grandchildren.

Rich people throwing stupid amounts of money at things for their own ego, enjoyment or bragging rights has led to many great advances in our lifetimes. Just let them; it may lead to something really good down the line.
Deleted User 89

“Rich people throwing stupid amounts of money at things for their own ego, enjoyment or bragging rights has led to many great advances in our lifetimes.”

such as?
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

A quick and simple Google search shows that Branson and Bezos both give literally billons of dollars of their money for the environment and/or conservation.
Therefore, I'll cut them some slack when they spend some their money on hobbies and quests that interest them - and others.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

ironic
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s this do for Amazon’s rep as an employer? It was already not great.

Imagine working a $29k a year job that somehow makes packing boxes stressful, and finding out your boss spent $28 million on an amusement ride.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh, and how many taxpayers will get to go on these space vacations?
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 pm What’s this do for Amazon’s rep as an employer? It was already not great.

Imagine working a $29k a year job that somehow makes packing boxes stressful, and finding out your boss spent $28 million on an amusement ride.
Jeff Bezos isn't the "boss" at Amazon.
Amazon employs over 1 million people world wide. My guess is many if not most employed by Amazon are well aware their "Executive Chairman" is an extremely wealthy man and very few of them give a flying (pun intended) fuck that Bezos spends a very small fraction of his 100 billion plus net worth on "an amusement ride".
But hey, what the fuck do I know?

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:24 pm I'm not loosing sleep over it, but you'd be crazy not to think there'd be blow-back on this.
Not sure deviants and malcontents blubbering on the interwebs counts as blow-back.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:44 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:24 pm I'm not loosing sleep over it, but you'd be crazy not to think there'd be blow-back on this.
Not sure deviants and malcontents blubbering on the interwebs counts as blow-back.
Plenty of national media backlash.

But I know, the folks don't read the Atlantic or the Guardian.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.