Strikes

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Strikes

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:54 am Why, exactly, is it not a non-partisan issue?
Why is it not? Or why should it not be?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m genuinely asking.

I dunno why more Mericans don’t care about this, don’t shout this shit down as rotten, yet here we are.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

google “leading lobbying industries US 2020”

same reason we don’t have reasonable and meaningful gun legislation

edit: and keep in mind that lobbyists do more than just getting politicians to vote a certain way...they are also often engaged in the public messaging that accompanies certain stances
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’d also guess any campaign with such a pro-consumer anti-bidness platform would be labeled as too radical in all hit a few districts.
Deleted User 89

and unfortunately, i’d guess that pharma is often lumped into “medical” in general, and so there is an inherent level of trust among many that they’re gonna is what’s best/right for the patient
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

…unless they’re trying to provide vaccines during a pandemic.
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:23 pm …unless they’re trying to provide vaccines during a pandemic.
those idiots are just a highly vocal minority
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:18 am given the behavior of purdue pharma and the sacklers (among a multitude of others), i think it would behoove congress to keep a closer eye on the goings on at pharma firms (and this comes from someone that works at one)
I second that, also as someone that works in the pharmaceutical industry.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 89

i thought capitalism without competition was a monopoly
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, most “capitalists” would rather operate in a monopolistic market, wouldn’t they?

For instance, isn’t Facebook in hot water for buying up competition instead of competing with it?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:37 am I mean, most “capitalists” would rather operate in a monopolistic market, wouldn’t they?

For instance, isn’t Facebook in hot water for buying up competition instead of competing with it?
There just aren't that many companies capable of monopolizing their industry. But FB and Amazon certainly have done that (or come very close), and i am sure they love it.

Most companies aren't capable of getting to that size/capacity.
Deleted User 89

both of those company’s came along at the right time too

myspace could have competed with facebook had they done things differently. though, i think facebook had an ace in the hole by starting out solely as a platform for college kids
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, Facebook had a certain exclusive appeal.

I wonder what the factors were that gave it critical mass, and the competitive advantage over MySpace and shit. Maybe the fact that user profiles didn’t automatically start playing Blink 182 songs upon viewing?

It was so much cooler when it was just about trying to slide into the DMs of that chick from English class who you’re also pretty sure lives in Templin Hall too
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Don’t want the totally random thread to be too on point

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

moving right along…

and just to be clear, I’m not fond of bumping this thread either.

https://www.businessinsider.com/kroger- ... ack-2021-7

Kroger closed grocery stores rather than give workers a $4 raise. Now it's padding shareholders' pockets with a $1 billion stock-buyback scheme.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:46 am moving right along…

Kroger closed grocery stores rather than give workers a $4 raise. Now it's padding shareholders' pockets with a $1 billion stock-buyback scheme.
Why would you keep a grocery store open if it's going to lose money?

Kroger gave all store employees bonuses and hourly raises last year because of Covid, more than once. They give a shitload to charity through their zero-hunget-zero-waste initiative. They gave every employee (500,000 of them) $100 for getting vaccinated, along with raffles for $5 million or a year of free groceries.

And stock buybacks aren't a "scheme".
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:27 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:46 am moving right along…

Why would you keep a grocery store open if it's going to lose money?

Kroger gave all store employees bonuses and hourly raises last year because of Covid, more than once. They give a shitload to charity through their zero-hunget-zero-waste initiative. They gave every employee (500,000 of them) $100 for getting vaccinated, along with raffles for $5 million or a year of free groceries.

And stock buybacks aren't a "scheme".
Minor details.
Deleted User 863

If kroger interests you it is currently less than $41 per share. Get in on the scheme. 2% dividend too.