What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:18 am Ha.

Yeah, beav scored some tickets, and so I don’t wanna say no to a free show at red rocks.

But at the same time, the only “jam” band I’m particularly fond of is Phish, and string cheese always struck me as a generic knockoff of Phish.

And considering how much Beav hates Phish, I kinda get the feeling he won’t wanna stay til the encore.

But free show woo! If nothing else, the wook watching will be worth it.

And go figure, as soon as beav invited me, this chick is like hey will you take me camping Saturday night? So I kinda hope we don’t get back at like 2am and I have time to get camp shit ready.
Can alway just say no. I know you uave a hard time with turning away free things but sometimes a night spent at crooked creek is better alone anyway.
Yeah, just minutes after I confirmed with beav, this chick hit me up. Imma just try to power through. In the long run, you remember concerts and camping a lot more than you remember getting a full nights rest.

jk LOL will the rest of the world please leave me alone please so I can just go back to bed please
shindig

Post by shindig »

Finally broke down and bought some apple AirPods. Can't believe I waited so long...lol. Since I picked up jogging again, these make it so much easier and the sound is phenomenal compared to my old plug in ear buds that constantly fell out of my ears when jogging or accidentally hitting the cord with my hand. I bought the basic ones, not the Pro.
shindig

Post by shindig »

shindig wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:17 am Finally broke down and bought some apple AirPods. Can't believe I waited so long...lol. Since I picked up jogging again, these make it so much easier and the sound is phenomenal compared to my old plug in ear buds that constantly fell out of my ears when jogging or accidentally hitting the cord with my hand. I bought the basic ones, not the Pro.
$130 for ear buds and they fall out of my ear...lol. Ordered a set of ear hooks in white. Big fail by Apple.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:41 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:18 am Ha.

Yeah, beav scored some tickets, and so I don’t wanna say no to a free show at red rocks.

But at the same time, the only “jam” band I’m particularly fond of is Phish, and string cheese always struck me as a generic knockoff of Phish.

And considering how much Beav hates Phish, I kinda get the feeling he won’t wanna stay til the encore.

But free show woo! If nothing else, the wook watching will be worth it.

And go figure, as soon as beav invited me, this chick is like hey will you take me camping Saturday night? So I kinda hope we don’t get back at like 2am and I have time to get camp shit ready.
Can alway just say no. I know you uave a hard time with turning away free things but sometimes a night spent at crooked creek is better alone anyway.
Yeah, just minutes after I confirmed with beav, this chick hit me up. Imma just try to power through. In the long run, you remember concerts and camping a lot more than you remember getting a full nights rest.

jk LOL will the rest of the world please leave me alone please so I can just go back to bed please
So? Verdict?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

They were fun!

One of the best jam bands I’ve seen.

IMHO they don’t have the virtuosic musicality or subtle brilliance of Phish, but I mean who does.

IMHO Phish excels at improv and playing off one another as a musical unit, cuz they come more from some jazz/prog rock kinda place, whereas most other jam bands come from a “try to be like Phish (and/or the dead) kinda place. If that makes sense. I dunno.

But string cheese was really good. Funky jam rock, then get a little bluegrassy here and there with a fiddle and a two step beat, then get a little trancey with some electronic bass line, and stuff.

The keys guy lagged the beat just a touch on one solo, but otherwise they were dialed in. They covered a Talking Heads tune and that was fun. And I even recognized one of their songs! It’s the one that goes like, “naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa na na na,” you know! Gutter which one is that?

And perhaps even better than the band was the crowd. Everybody way into it, dancing hard, letting their freak flags fly. Fun costumes. Lots of tits but hardly any bras.

I might even say I’d be down to see them again, and maybe even pay for it. If I did, I’d try to get the next day off, so I could get all gushered with the wooks and not have to worry about getting to work the next day. 7am was hard enough today as it is.

But perhaps even more than string cheese, now I’m trying to convince beav we should quit our jobs and go on phish tour in 2 weeks.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s the one that goes like, “naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa na na na,” you know! Gutter which one is that?

Also nothing pisses off a jam band fan more than the studio recording lulz
Deleted User 887

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:42 pm They were fun!

One of the best jam bands I’ve seen.

IMHO they don’t have the virtuosic musicality or subtle brilliance of Phish, but I mean who does.

IMHO Phish excels at improv and playing off one another as a musical unit, cuz they come more from some jazz/prog rock kinda place, whereas most other jam bands come from a “try to be like Phish (and/or the dead) kinda place. If that makes sense. I dunno.

But string cheese was really good. Funky jam rock, then get a little bluegrassy here and there with a fiddle and a two step beat, then get a little trancey with some electronic bass line, and stuff.

The keys guy lagged the beat just a touch on one solo, but otherwise they were dialed in. They covered a Talking Heads tune and that was fun. And I even recognized one of their songs! It’s the one that goes like, “naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa na na na,” you know! Gutter which one is that?

And perhaps even better than the band was the crowd. Everybody way into it, dancing hard, letting their freak flags fly. Fun costumes. Lots of tits but hardly any bras.

I might even say I’d be down to see them again, and maybe even pay for it. If I did, I’d try to get the next day off, so I could get all gushered with the wooks and not have to worry about getting to work the next day. 7am was hard enough today as it is.

But perhaps even more than string cheese, now I’m trying to convince beav we should quit our jobs and go on phish tour in 2 weeks.
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the music!
I'm not a String Cheesedick (is that what they call SCI fans?) so I don't know what song you are referring to but my guess is if I heard it I might recognize it.
I do know that a guy I have known for about 40 years has sat in (played) with them. There is your 6 degrees of Gutter. His name is Arthur Lee and is now known as Arthur Lee Land. The running joke today is that he looks like my sister. :o

https://www.arthurleeland.com

I'm in the crowd for this one.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Is this the same Arthur Lee?

Deleted User 887

defixione wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:06 am Is this the same Arthur Lee?

No, and possibly/probably the reason why the guy I know decided to add the "Land" to his name.
I've never bothered to ask him.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

OK, listen up.
Those of you who truly enjoy an amazing musician who puts on one hell of a live show need to go see this guy when he comes to your town. I have seen him live 4 times, and his shows are always a blast!

9/1 Bottleneck Lawrence (Looking at you Defix)
9/3 Joe's On Weed St-Chicao (c'mon Gutter)
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Give me 2 of whatever that guy is on!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:48 pm Give me 2 of whatever that guy is on!
So, you didn't listen/see.
Seems appropriate.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:27 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:48 pm Give me 2 of whatever that guy is on!
So, you didn't listen/see.
Seems appropriate.
I did. He's awesome.

He does look like he's on some shit though.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Of course he is. You should be too.

Dude is amazing as an entertainer.
Deleted User 887

Overlander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm OK, listen up.
Those of you who truly enjoy an amazing musician who puts on one hell of a live show need to go see this guy when he comes to your town. I have seen him live 4 times, and his shows are always a blast!

Damn! I just may attend. Bonus would be pissing on the ice in the urinals at Joes.
Only two negatives for me are that there is a weed shop across the street (I shouldn't smoke weed and/or take edibles) and Joe's has an OTB in it (I also probably shouldn't be betting on horses).
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Overlander wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm OK, listen up.

Will there be a 7:00 show?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just happened to come on...

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This one goes out to JKL
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

John Mayer literally made an album called “Sob Rock” lol

Next album might as well be “wiener music”
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

The metal world lost an absolute musical legend yesterday. Way too young.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/former ... dead-at-46
Ain't no seats