Strikes

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Strikes

Post by ousdahl »

What are stock buybacks, then?

What’s their purpose and benefit?

And why were they apparently illegal until reaganomics?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm What are stock buybacks, then?

Can't answer that without answering what the purpose of stock is in the first place. If a company has the ability to share profits by issuing stock, they should have the right to de-issue it.

Speaking of the zero-hunger-zero-waste thing...

Kroger is my company's parent company. We hold an annual auction to raise money for those charities. I hadn't cut my hair since the start of the pandemic. My co-workers thought it would be fun for people to auction to choose a new doo for me. I said OK. Perm beat out mohawk and bowl cut. So now my head looks like it has pubes. But we did raise over a grand for charity for it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, who knew mjl’s real name was Trae Young??
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

A stock buyback is when the company buys back their shares on the (open) marketplace with its' cash on hand. Those shares are then absorbed by the company and the total number of shares outstanding are reduced.

This is good for all parties involved. People selling their shares (often at an increasing price). People who own shares. And the company. These are publicly traded companies. I own amazon stock, facebook stock, google, apple, etc. Buybacks aren't always some boogieman.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:48 pm

Can't answer that without answering what the purpose of stock is in the first place. If a company has the ability to share profits by issuing stock, they should have the right to de-issue it.

Speaking of the zero-hunger-zero-waste thing...

Kroger is my company's parent company. We hold an annual auction to raise money for those charities. I hadn't cut my hair since the start of the pandemic. My co-workers thought it would be fun for people to auction to choose a new doo for me. I said OK. Perm beat out mohawk and bowl cut. So now my head looks like it has pubes. But we did raise over a grand for charity for it.
Get some soul glo on that thing and jheri curl that bitch. Let your soul shine thru
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also, we don’t hear about it much in the mainstream media but there’s strikes going on right now.

Frito lay workers in Topeka, coal workers in Alabama, Fred Meyer grocery, Uber and Lyft, etc
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

God bless the strikers. Let's get pensions and health care back.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

Heck, let’s get the middle class back!

How rad would it be if the narrative was less about space tourism, and more about more full time workers maybe even being able to afford their own home again.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 pm more full time workers maybe even being able to afford their own home again.
65.6% of americans own their home fwiw.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and who owns the rest, Black Rock Capital?
Deleted User 863

Someone else owns the rest. That's okay too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

posting here cuz I can’t find the Shirley’s Law thread

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:03 am
Jeff Bezos, Space Marxist?
The Amazon founder revived the theory of surplus value.

https://newrepublic.com/article/163020/ ... ce-marxist
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

what’s wrong with alabama?

coal miners on strike (and their family members) getting hit by cars driven by current mine employees and contractors
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wasn’t that car collision a couple months ago now?

The latest headline I see is that union workers from around the country are going to support the Alabama miners

If only worker’s strikes in this country got as much press as billionaire cock rockets
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:52 pm Wasn’t that car collision a couple months ago now?

The latest headline I see is that union workers from around the country are going to support the Alabama miners

If only worker’s strikes in this country got as much press as billionaire cock rockets
it may have been

the story i was listening to over lunch didn’t provide a date, but apparently it’s happened multiple times
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and speaking of workers in Alabama, guess which online retail giant’s employees might get another vote to unionize!

Apparently the first vote is being criticized for a number of reasons, including a mailbox/ballot drop box and whether it was being monitored or accessed by Amazon.

among other lulz:
The hearing provided additional insight into Amazon's anti-union tactics. One Bessemer worker testified that during mandatory meetings at the warehouse, managers said the facility could shut down if staff voted to unionize. Other workers said they were told that the union would waste their dues on fancy vacations and cars.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh!

so for the first time in Merican history, the average restaurant worker’s wages surpassed $15 an hour….