Post by Deleted User 89 »

just got notification of a “transmission event” at our Wales office

the use of a desk fan is implicated
Deleted User 89

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 am
Just an empty quote because i want to ask you a question....

Lets hypothetically say we get the USA fully vaccinated population up to around 70% by winter...

do you think we can fully eradicate this virus? If no, do you see any path forward where this virus isn't here to stay?

My thought process is this: they think immunity deminishes over time (understandably). Many got vaccinated early this year. Their immunity may be diminishing by winter time which would be about as soon as we will realistically get to 70%+ vaccination rate among our population (and that's probably wishful thinking)...so what does that mean for the chances of this ever going away?

And...do you think covid is something that will be around for the rest of our lives and we will need yearly vaccinations for to protect ourself and others?

Thanks in advance.
i’ll chime in even though this was directed at phd

the US isn’t alone in dealing with this...it’s global (obviously). we’re dealing with a strain now (delta) that is a different beast than the original virus. so long as the rest of the world lags behind in vaccinations it’s highly likely that more variants will pop up

that’s not to say it doesn’t matter what we here in the US do, just that “eradication” or true herd immunity depends on factors in addition to things we do in the US
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 am
Just an empty quote because i want to ask you a question....

Lets hypothetically say we get the USA fully vaccinated population up to around 70% by winter...

do you think we can fully eradicate this virus? If no, do you see any path forward where this virus isn't here to stay?

My thought process is this: they think immunity deminishes over time (understandably). Many got vaccinated early this year. Their immunity may be diminishing by winter time which would be about as soon as we will realistically get to 70%+ vaccination rate among our population (and that's probably wishful thinking)...so what does that mean for the chances of this ever going away?

And...do you think covid is something that will be around for the rest of our lives and we will need yearly vaccinations for to protect ourself and others?

Thanks in advance.
No, not at 70%.

I think eradication is a pipe dream at this point. There are just too many assholes.

The smallpox vaccine had a 95% effective rate, which is similar to the Covid, at least against the OG strain, so it's probably possible in theory. But smallpox didn't have the asymptomatic cases, and wasn't contagious before symptom development, which means when you do get the numbers down, you can trace and contain it easier.

I think there will be boosters. How often I'm not sure. The higher the vaccine rate the less frequently though, just because of mutations. It's still unclear how long immunity lasts, though I understand that for the first people being vaccinated it's waining in the immunocompromised.

The good news is that with mRNA vaccines they can quickly, easily, safely make boosters specific to any variants that might arise.

Also, immunity isn't an all or none scenario. If there are boosters, and you missed one, you might be more at risk of infection, but you'd still have some level of immunity, meaning you'd be less likely to get severely sick.

But that's yet another reason to get the jab and reset your baseline level of immune protection.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 am
Thanks.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

soon as we get rid of delta, wuhan will whip up another strain and send it on over.

get vaccinated. learn to live with it. get on with your life.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The virus isn't going anywhere people need to accept that. Humans are not immortal or immune to illness. Some will get sick and die. Luckily it's a very very small percentage. Let's move on. Live your life and don't shame people for living there's how they choose
Deleted User 89

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:45 am The virus isn't going anywhere people need to accept that. Humans are not immortal or immune to illness. Some will get sick and die. Luckily it's a very very small percentage. Let's move on. Live your life and don't shame people for living there's how they choose
then take your own advice and quit posting about it

move on
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Do the right thing get vaccinated.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:45 am Let's move on. Live your life and don't shame people for living there's how they choose
fortunately, minus the internet deviants and malcontents, this is exactly what almost everyone has done.

we did what the man asked of us. we got vaxxed. we are moving on.

if you want to stay stuck in the mudd, go for it.
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:42 am soon as we get rid of delta, wuhan will whip up another strain and send it on over.

get vaccinated. learn to live with it. get on with your life.
why do you feel the need to post dumb shit?

NONE of the variants have come from wuhan...ZERO (but i’m sure you know this)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:45 am Let's move on. Live your life and don't shame people for living there's how they choose
fortunately, minus the internet deviants and malcontents, this is exactly what almost everyone has done.

we did what the man asked of us. we got vaxxed. we are moving on.

if you want to stay stuck in the mudd, go for it.
58% of us have.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I just wish the media reported on the amount of people who die daily from various causes anyways. If they did that before covid19 people wouldn't even be phased by the numbers. They're pretty minute. About 155000 people die on average everyday anyways (globaly) so do the math on that death rate over the course of almost 2 years. Covid has barely changed anything
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dude. You're terrible at math.

I'm going to accept your number as fact, so 155,000 people die every day.

At the two peaks, Covid was killing well over 15,000 people every day.

If something increases the number of global deaths by 10% that's a big deal.

Deleted User 89

obviously, neither mich nor randy have moved on...despite their proclamations to the contrary
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am obviously, neither mich nor randy have moved on...despite their proclamations to the contrary
What's killing me is that while Randy insists that Covid is not dangerous and not a big deal and insults anyone who says otherwise as a coward. Then he simultaneously defends people who don't get vaccinated out of fear of safety.

The virus has killed more than 4 million people
The vaccine has been loosely associated with a tiny number of deaths after 3 Billion doses.

Yet you're a pussy if you think Covid matters and a heroic patriot if you are scared of a safe shot.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:25 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am obviously, neither mich nor randy have moved on...despite their proclamations to the contrary
What's killing me is that while Randy insists that Covid is not dangerous and not a big deal and insults anyone who says otherwise as a coward. Then he simultaneously defends people who don't get vaccinated out of fear of safety.

The virus has killed more than 4 million people
The vaccine has been loosely associated with a tiny number of deaths after 3 Billion doses.

Yet you're a pussy if you think Covid matters and a heroic patriot if you are scared of a safe shot.
i’m telling you...gold in mental gymnastics
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's not an exaggeration to say that rural Missourians are going to ruin small businesses across the state and perhaps the country. A lot of small businesses (the ones that survived, anyway), did so by the skin of their teeth. And with significant federal help.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

everyone knows the china fungus is a b!tc#. everyone also knows that it is not as bad as they are saying it is.

the whole world botched it from the beginning. and rather than learn from it, they just continue to compound the stupid.
Deleted User 89

troll
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am It's not an exaggeration to say that rural Missourians are going to ruin small businesses across the state and perhaps the country. A lot of small businesses (the ones that survived, anyway), did so by the skin of their teeth. And with significant federal help.
Have depos down there tomorrow. Where can I get a full hazmat suit?