The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that sucks, Tdub

if it makes you feel better, my brothers and i decided to cancel a fishing trip up to your neck of the woods because of the situation

doesn’t sound like you’re gonna get much reprieve in the immediate future either
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Nope. Were fucked ha. 108 today and i dont remember the last time it rained. The wood issue is going to be a problem tho.....its my only heat source. That'll be a priority when i csn get up there....im gonna have roll around for a couple weeks with a chainsaw and a rifle and worry about sleep later haha
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That sucks TDub. I'm hoping it cools off by then and you can get a lot of work in.
How many cords do you go through in a winter?
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Id say we average about 6 or so cord a year. All depends on how cold and how soon it gets cold. Some years 3 or 4 some years 8. Also, depends on the type of wood, depending on whats available to cut. Lot more BTUs in tamarack than pine e.g
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how the ban will be received.

Seems to me there might be a lot of mich types who would react to not going in the woods even worse than they reacted to not going on a boat ride
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:28 pm Id say we average about 6 or so cord a year. All depends on how cold and how soon it gets cold. Some years 3 or 4 some years 8. Also, depends on the type of wood, depending on whats available to cut. Lot more BTUs in tamarack than pine e.g
That's a lot of freakin wood.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea, it is. Its my only heat source though until i replace my furnace and all of my ductwork.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Speaking of heat source, we were forced to replace our wood-burning fireplace when we did a house remodel about 15 years ago. The back story is that if we didn’t touch the fireplace or the chimney nothing would have happened. However we had to raise the chimney about 4’ so that it’s taller than the roof at some radius. Anyway that meant that the wood-burning insert had to go. But turned out to be a hidden blessing because we ended up getting a pellet stove. Works great. Given the particulates in the air it’s a good thing.

It’s by no means the sole source of heat but it’s a great supplement to our gas furnace. We turn it on in the evening during what passes for winter around here - about 3-4 times a week. It warms the lower floor quite well and has a great ambience. We go through maybe 3-4 bags of pellets a year.
Deleted User 89

zsn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 pm Speaking of heat source, we were forced to replace our wood-burning fireplace when we did a house remodel about 15 years ago. The back story is that if we didn’t touch the fireplace or the chimney nothing would have happened. However we had to raise the chimney about 4’ so that it’s taller than the roof at some radius. Anyway that meant that the wood-burning insert had to go. But turned out to be a hidden blessing because we ended up getting a pellet stove. Works great. Given the particulates in the air it’s a good thing.

It’s by no means the sole source of heat but it’s a great supplement to our gas furnace. We turn it on in the evening during what passes for winter around here - about 3-4 times a week. It warms the lower floor quite well and has a great ambience. We go through maybe 3-4 bags of pellets a year.
years ago my family visited the Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska for Thanksgiving

they were heating everything with pellets...had an impressive educational display about it too
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Pellet stoves work well. I like seeing the fire though, its calming.

I also kinda like cutting, splitting and stacking the wood. Except when you have to do it all in a huge rush.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Our pellet stove has a substantial flame and keeps it quite consistent. One time about 7-8 years ago we received a free #2 Phillip’s bit in one of the bags of pellets, which we found courtesy of a jammed feed auger. What a pain it was to basically take apart the stove to free the auger. I knew that the auger was jammed and not turning and then found the screw bit inside. Now I use a small hand shovel to load the stove from the bag
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:41 pm Pellet stoves work well. I like seeing the fire though, its calming.

I also kinda like cutting, splitting and stacking the wood. Except when you have to do it all in a huge rush.
Just out of curiosity, how do you heat an entire house with a wood burning stove? I know they really heat up the room they are in, but what about bedrooms, bathrooms, interior plumbing (to keep pipes from freezing). Hope it works out for you and you can get the wood you need.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:41 pm Pellet stoves work well. I like seeing the fire though, its calming.

Just out of curiosity, how do you heat an entire house with a wood burning stove? I know they really heat up the room they are in, but what about bedrooms, bathrooms, interior plumbing (to keep pipes from freezing). Hope it works out for you and you can get the wood you need.
Its not a huge house (1600ish sf) the stove is near the center and the heat radiates out from the stove. Theres a blower fan on the stove that i use sometimes that oulls heat from around the stove and forces it out into the house. Works fine, bedrooms are a little colder but i like that for sleeping. We have small desktop type space heaters for the rooms if we have a super cold spell.

Even when its below 0 outside we havent had too much trouble keepibg the house in the mid 60s to low 70s. Of course, thats provided i get up a coupke times at night to stoke the fire. If i let the fire die weve had it dip into the 50s inside.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

^^^^
x1,000 for all points made
Deleted User 89

i don’t mean to be a creeper, TDub, but i’d really like to see your spread

i bet it’d be right up my ally
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm i don’t mean to be a creeper, TDub, but i’d really like to see your spread

I’d be curious too, but I’m also pretty sure it’s just a chicken coop surrounded by empty coors lite cans
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm i don’t mean to be a creeper, TDub, but i’d really like to see your spread

I’d be curious too, but I’m also pretty sure it’s just a chicken coop surrounded by empty coors lite cans
:lol:
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:34 pm

^^^^
Something relaxing and peaceful about spending an hour or two swinging a maul listening to some chris ledoux and hearing the thwack of the wood splitting. Dog chewing on the scraps and sneaking a Copenhagen in that you were supposed to have quit and having a coors or 2.

I mean that as a completely general example, not specific to me at all.........
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its not bad, decent and fairly peaceful, its a transitional place until we get where we want...was supposed to be a 2 year place but......covid....mhousing market explosion etc has pushed that timeline. We're back on the hunt though we'll see whats out there. Found a place with 42 acres already cross-fenced and with 20 acres of timber but the house.....needed a lot of work....a lot. I was all in, I mean, kinda what i do for a living anyway. But the wife didnt want to live in a trailer for a year with 2 kids under 5. So...i lost the 1 to 1 vote....mustve been the penalty kicks that got me.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:39 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:34 pm

^^^^
Something relaxing and peaceful about spending an hour or two swinging a maul listening to some chris ledoux and hearing the thwack of the wood splitting. Dog chewing on the scraps and sneaking a Copenhagen in that you were supposed to have quit and having a coors or 2.

I mean that as a completely general example, not specific to me at all.........
just be glad you don’t have hedge/osage orange...it’s not nearly as romantic an endeavor lol