2022 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022 CBB Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:27 am I guess I didn’t realize there were that many pro prospects in suburban Wichita

But yea, who knows with a D2 player
Not sure if you are being serious, but if so, read up on Sunrise. Wichita just happens to be where the school is located.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 am But Jalen at the 5 was intriguing just cuz how often can a 5 man pull their guy out to the perimeter and take them off the dribble
Jalen at the 5 was terrifying cause he's really not even a 4. A decent coach with a decent big man would exploit the hell outta that. Jalen did a good job trying to keep his guy off the block, and doing everything he can initially, but if his man got the ball on the block it was over.

Also, in 2021 a 5 man who can pull their guy out to the perimeter and take them off the dribble in not uncommon.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 amAlso, in 2021 a 5 man who can pull their guy out to the perimeter and take them off the dribble in not uncommon.
Other than KU apparently, not a lot of teams are playing a bunch of bumbling, slow bigs anymore.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess I didn’t realize it was such a basketball factory.

But still, he’s a 4 star top 50 big. That reads more as somebody will be good in 2-3 years, more so than some immediate impact freshman.

But I like the optimism, and hope he exceeds my expectations
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:02 am I think with JCL, the name Isaiah Moss immediately comes to mind. The difference will probably be that Moss only had to beat out a freshman Braun for minutes.
I was just about to post the exact same thing
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Bumbling slow" bigs that finish as All Americans.
Ho-hum.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 am But Jalen at the 5 was intriguing just cuz how often can a 5 man pull their guy out to the perimeter and take them off the dribble
Jalen at the 5 was terrifying cause he's really not even a 4. A decent coach with a decent big man would exploit the hell outta that. Jalen did a good job trying to keep his guy off the block, and doing everything he can initially, but if his man got the ball on the block it was over.

Also, in 2021 a 5 man who can pull their guy out to the perimeter and take them off the dribble in not uncommon.
All this applies to Mitch too, except that Mitch can’t take anyone off the dribble either
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:35 am I guess I didn’t realize it was such a basketball factory.

But still, he’s a 4 star top 50 big. That reads more as somebody will be good in 2-3 years, more so than some immediate impact freshman.

But I like the optimism, and hope he exceeds my expectations
It's only going to get better. About 8 schools including Sunrise, Oak Hill, IMG, etc. created a league like the Champions League in Europe and will play a bunch of games against each other. NBA grease will be all over it.

On Clemence, I think the thing to point out is we are talking about competing with Mitch and D2 for minutes. Not a blue chip contribution by any means. Ranked around where Braun and Jalen Wilson were as HS seniors.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And my biggest beef with DMac is not the bumbling slow thing, as much as it is he’s 260+ but still wants to play finesse ball.

Dude, get position, and bully your way to an easy bucket. Move toward the basket, not away from it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sigh.
He doesn't have to play exactly that way -- ( though if he's fed to the post, then I totally agree ).
He has a different offensive skillset than Dok.

Think Simien.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:29 am
There's basically nothing about last season's offense that I want to relive, and Jalen hit the freshman wall faster than anyone not named Russell Robinson.

But, while it's easy to drag the players, it was just a really poor roster construction and they never got anything consistently going. I wonder how much of it was putting too many eggs in the Cade Cunningham basket and striking out.
Is it still considered a freshman wall when you've been on campus for almost 2 full years?
Deleted User 863

Agree all the way around.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:43 am Sigh.
He doesn't have to play exactly that way -- ( though if he's fed to the post, then I totally agree ).

Think Simien.
yes
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Is it still considered a freshman wall when you've been on campus for almost 2 full years?"

Yes.
You are not playing in high end D1 basketball games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:29 am
There's basically nothing about last season's offense that I want to relive, and Jalen hit the freshman wall faster than anyone not named Russell Robinson.

But, while it's easy to drag the players, it was just a really poor roster construction and they never got anything consistently going. I wonder how much of it was putting too many eggs in the Cade Cunningham basket and striking out.
Is it still considered a freshman wall when you've been on campus for almost 2 full years?
I don't care what you call it.

But, sure. The thing historically about the freshman wall is that freshmen tend to trail off with the grueling D-1 schedule/games/pace/physicality/etc. So it was still Jalen's first experience with that.
Deleted User 863

If everyone could do what Dok did then Dok wouldn't have been such a special and unique player. DMac isn't capable of playing like Dok for numerous reasons. Dok set all time records. Not just Kansas records. NCAA records.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Think Simien.
Yeah, he does have a skill set closer to Wayne than Dok.

But yeah, maybe it’s the post feeds. He rarely gets the position to catch and make a quick move for a bucket; to “score before he gets the ball.”

Instead, he wants to catch it in the post, collect, square up, give the D time to position or maybe even double team, then make some fadeaway finesse move instead of just go up strong

And damn am I looking forward to an offense built on more than those sorts of post feeds
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:44 am

Agree all the way around.
Have we ever had a 5 man who can take a guy off the dribble?

And a proper 5 man, not just Jalen pinch hitting
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You can always tell when DMac is going to score vs. when he isn't. It's all pre-catch. Needs to get more consistent there.

He's about the least of our worries along with Remy, and Och mostly. We know what we're going to get from him. Just hope he's less of a head case this year having a full year starting under his belt.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Morris twins.