Strikes

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Strikes

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think many of Ousdahls issues stem from the fact that he has chosen to live in a place where he can't afford to live up to his level of desired living.

Colorado is beautiful, but expensive. Look for opportunities in areas with lower cost of living.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:17 am
japhy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:36 am

This doesn't seem to apply to the apartment rental world at all. They buy rental properties at market value so they can then turn around and rent units within the property to make money off of people who cannot afford to buy a property themselves. It's not price gouging or creating a supply shortage.
Exactly.

The housing shortage is not a conspiracy to "create" higher prices.

Ousdahl, did you learn nothing while drinking manhattans with Overlander? Next Solstice we will take an afternoon to go fishing on my little creek and I will try to splain it to you.
Yeah, I wish we got to fish, and generally spend more time chatting. Pretty sure you were passed out by the time Plano and I crashed the quinceñera or whatever that was.

Without using words like “conspiracy” though, how can housing not be more expensive to a renter when, in addition to all the costs of owning property, they’ve also got a landlord getting their slice of the pie too?
I will be back out in October. There is a big dinner party at the Drive-In we have been invited to and the chef from Boulder is coming out to cook for everyone again. I will grab a doggie bag and bring some scraps back for you. They are scheduled to show the first movie in 50 years on the big screen that weekend. During the day maybe we can run up past Hell's Gate and look for some browns.

The reason rents are not more expensive is the landlord doesn't have the mortgage debt load that a regular owner does. Mortgage payment is the biggest cost. If that is low you can rent it to someone and make money. But when half the people in the country want to move to where you live, things get crazy.

In mid 2000's houses were bought up in ski towns by locals to rent on the short term market. They put little down so once the occupancy rates dropped during the recession they walked from their loans. Once the values crashed people bought them up with cash from banks left holding the bag. The new owners had no mortgage to cover so they could afford to drop rents. The Colorado market has been weird for the last 20-30 years. There are landlords who will rent for less if they know the tenant will stay longer and is reliable. My daughter got her last apartment in Five Points for less than market because the landlord was a co-worker and he was tired of having the place torn up every time someone moved out. We rented our place in Lakewood for half market rate for the same reason and because our debt payments were so low that we could. The renters took care of renting out our "garden level" of the townhouse for a small cut of the rent. The mortgage was covered and then some and the place appreciated at a once in a lifetime rate. We sold the place in four years for a good profit and the renters saved enough on rent to put together a down payment for a house where they now live.

Seriously, maybe it is time for you to get out of the republican owned ski town.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:41 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:37 am And please do explain the differences between an individual landlord buying up properties to make a profit renting, and a corporation buying up properties to make a profit renting.

There’s a bigger scale.

And, what else?
One is buying up housing to manipulate a market.

The other is renting apartments.
^^^
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’d like for not so many things to be commodified. I’d like for fewer Mericans to have to worry about homelessness. I’d like my landlord’s delinquency about everything from plumbing leaks to a broken furnace to be subjected to consequences as severe as what would happen if I stopped paying rent.

And yeah, maybe a tenant tears up a unit, but that means no deposit back.

It’s not like a landlord has to pay a deposit in case they crap out on taking care of the property while you rent.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:46 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:37 am And please do explain the differences between an individual landlord buying up properties to make a profit renting, and a corporation buying up properties to make a profit renting.

There’s a bigger scale.

And, what else?

^^^
You say that as if renting apartments has no effect on the market
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

No deposit. Lol. Keep the 800 and pay the 25k to fix it.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:50 am
TDub wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:46 am

^^^
You say that as if renting apartments has no effect on the market
When its not mega brokers it has very little effect on a large scale
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Plus. That type of market adjustment is the correct type....not holding billions in real estate and manipulating the market on a grand scale
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And the held believe that the landlord’s chance to make money is more important than other Mericans having a roof over their heads is why Blackrock had a chance to do their thing.

I wonder how this discussion would have went if we started with Blackrock.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Here’s a question that is specific and relevant to my community:

How do you guys feel about out of staters buying up properties here just to rent them out on Airbnb?

Or just to sit on them for 6 months and relist them at a higher price?

With many locals, the discussion starts and ends with them saying something like “this wouldn’t be a problem if we just let the free market do its thing!”

But I’m reality, I’m afraid the free market created that problem.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:49 am I’d like for not so many things to be commodified. I’d like for fewer Mericans to have to worry about homelessness. I’d like my landlord’s delinquency about everything from plumbing leaks to a broken furnace to be subjected to consequences as severe as what would happen if I stopped paying rent.

And yeah, maybe a tenant tears up a unit, but that means no deposit back.

It’s not like a landlord has to pay a deposit in case they crap out on taking care of the property while you rent.
A landlord, like any businessman, can be an asshole.

That there are landlords who are assholes, does not mean landlords are intrinsically evil.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

japhy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:42 am Seriously, maybe it is time for you to get out of the republican owned ski town.
This.

Or keep expecting the world to cater to your wants/desires and thinking you're a victim.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:58 am Here’s a question that is specific and relevant to my community:

How do you guys feel about out of staters buying up properties here just to rent them out on Airbnb?

With many locals, the discussion starts and ends with them saying something like “this wouldn’t be a problem if we just let the free market do its thing!”

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:56 am And the held believe that the landlord’s chance to make money is more important than other Mericans having a roof over their heads is why Blackrock had a chance to do their thing.

Youre a confused mess dude.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:56 am And the held believe that the landlord’s chance to make money is more important than other Mericans having a roof over their heads is why Blackrock had a chance to do their thing.

How many homes do you provide for people?

Fewer than every single landlord.

Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:58 am Here’s a question that is specific and relevant to my community:

That's only a problem for you because YOU don't benefit.

Plano hasn't viewed it as a problem for him when he's flipped vacation homes.

You just need to move. What you're describing isn't common in the vast majority of cities/towns in our country.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, lots of pissed off landlords today.

I won’t bother you about that leaky faucet, I can just live with it, don’t worry.

See you guys on the first.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:02 am

Yeah, I know. Every time I almost have enough saved up to buy my own place, more out of staters rush in to jack market prices up again.

I sincerely asked what your thoughts about that were, but rather than sincerely respond, you posted a rather ironic gif.
Deleted User 863

If you kill tourism in your market then your market doesn't even exist.

Don't live in a tourist trap and expect it to be small town USA.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:06 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:02 am

Yeah, I know. Every time I almost have enough saved up to buy my own place, more out of staters rush in to jack market prices up again.
Sounds like you don't have enough saved up to own the places you want to own.

Rather than take personal responsibility you would rather play the victim and pretend that others are the reason you don't own your dream home.

What you're describing isn't "jacking prices up".