Strikes

Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: Strikes

Post by MICHHAWK »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:12 pm life isn't fair ousey.
pretty fair from where i am standing.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:18 pm Well of course it isn’t fair.

But to say that with such resignation; such complacency - as if life will never be fair - let’s avoid that, and strive for better than that.

After all, that’s what separates us from the animals.
it won't be.

I'm always gonna be smarter and better looking than you. There's nothing I can do about it. Some people are born with a genetic disorder. Some people have high hips and a long wingspan. Some people are motivated by money. Some people want everything handed to them.

I mean, you want assigned marriages, everyone lives in gov't issued standard homes, everyone gets a standard issue smart phone, car, and laptop...which of course won't improve ever again, cause why be innovative. Everyone has to live in the plains cause it would be unfair for anyone to have mountain or ocean views. We all should live at a similar latitude cause it's unfair to have to shovel snow.

I'm not interested in equality, it is impossible and it sounds awful.

I like equal opportunity, equal protection under the law, but I don't want equal pay for everyone. While I'd like everyone to have housing, I'm ok with it not being equal and in fact having quite a bit of variation.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:25 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:12 pm life isn't fair ousey.
pretty fair from where i am standing.
With your head up your ass?

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:23 pm
Dammit, don't open the bag all the way...I haven't locked down my land yet!
Don't worry, if it comes down to a bidding war between you and Ousdahl I'm sure sQuirt will front you some money to get you in the door.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:26 pm

But to say that with such resignation; such complacency - as if life will never be fair - let’s avoid that, and strive for better than that.

it won't be.

I'm always gonna be smarter and better looking than you. There's nothing I can do about it. Some people are born with a genetic disorder. Some people have high hips and a long wingspan. Some people are motivated by money. Some people want everything handed to them.

I mean, you want assigned marriages, everyone lives in gov't issued standard homes, everyone gets a standard issue smart phone, car, and laptop...which of course won't improve ever again, cause why be innovative. Everyone has to live in the plains cause it would be unfair for anyone to have mountain or ocean views. We all should live at a similar latitude cause it's unfair to have to shovel snow.

I'm not interested in equality, it is impossible and it sounds awful.

I like equal opportunity, equal protection under the law, but I don't want equal pay for everyone. While I'd like everyone to have housing, I'm ok with it not being equal and in fact having quite a bit of variation.
While there’s plenty to discuss, let’s focus on the bold part.

Do you know anyone not motivated by money?

Particularly in Merica
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is such a microcosm for economic equality though.

You got phd saying it’s not fair but tough, mich saying it’s plenty fair as long as he doesn’t look further than 3 inches from his own nose, and Qusdahl suggesting a more equitable approach and being the only one labeled as crazy.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Im not particularly motivated by money.

If i wanted only money i would've stayed in Seattle. Theres quite a few other decisions i could've made and I'd have a helluva lot more money than I do. I need enough money to be sure my family is fed and housed and can afford to live in decent comfort. But there's a lot of things more important to me than money. Im nowhere near the only one who thinks that way.

What i dont do is blame someone who wants to chase money or demonize someone who has more than me. We all make choices.

You dont want equity.....you want things ti be easier for you....even if that makes it tougher for someone else. You spout this shit under the guise of equality for the people but in reality its only ever how it relates directly to you.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

your last point is a fallacy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

take it to the wildlife thread
Deleted User 89

if money was a primary motivation, i definitely would have gone into a different field
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:35 pm This is such a microcosm for economic equality though.

You got phd saying it’s not fair but tough, mich saying it’s plenty fair as long as he doesn’t look further than 3 inches from his own nose, and Qusdahl suggesting a more equitable approach and being the only one labeled as crazy.
I just don't think you see the value in working hard, or overcoming something.

I've had some advantages that made my life easier than it could have been, and I'm grateful for that. But I've also had to work hard to achieve some things and that's very rewarding, moreso than just having someone hand me some of their cash cause they have more than they need or giving me a home cause they had more than one and that's extravagant.

I also like seeing, architectural wonders and cool sports cars I can't afford, and other things that come from personal wealth, even if I don't benefit from them directly in any way.

Sometimes it's nice to spend $200 on dinner, and other times I'd rather have a cheeseburger.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:42 pm if money was a primary motivation, i definitely would have gone into a different field
Me too.

Money is A motivator, probably for everyone. But it's not real high on my list...at all.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sometimes I don’t even know whether you guys are trying to argue with me, or with some preconceived notion of me.
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:55 pm Sometimes I don’t even know whether you guys are trying to argue with me, or with some preconceived notion of me.
i’ve actually commented on this numerous times...but with societal priorities focusing on fame rather than societal impact

it’s absurd to me that social media “influencers” make more than someone like myself or phd, for example
Deleted User 89

dammit, Ousie...you deleted what i was really responding to
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:55 pm Sometimes I don’t even know whether you guys are trying to argue with me, or with some preconceived notion of me.
I think, in this case, you just don't really understand how MOST landlord's operate.

I think you have some preconceived notions of rich people, that are often wrong, and people react to what you post.

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:31 pm
While there’s plenty to discuss, let’s focus on the bold part.

Do you know anyone not motivated by money?

Particularly in Merica
Well, there was the Tan Man about 40 years ago in Lawrence, and then there was Constitution Man who lived under a bridge by the River Market in KC. But otherwise everyone is motivated by money to some extent.

How can anyone not be motivated by money and live a normal comfortable life? If you mean that money is not their primary motivation for doing what they do, then the list gets longer.

Your new mentor and spiritual coach, Max lived for the last decade in the Middle East and Africa, embedded with refugees in camps and in mass migrations trying to connect them with aid organizations from around the world and working to not get killed while doing it. The dude had real skin in the fucking game. He lived his values, my guess is it was not for the money. The last location they wanted to send him to increased his risk of death exponentially. He quit to come back to the US to be around family and friends and look for ways to make a difference here. He thinks there is as much to do here as over there, but the chances of getting blowed up are less here. Sometimes not getting blowed up is more motivating than money or desire to help your fellow human. He even scraped together enough money to buy a small house in a small town.

A small house filled with cute hippie chicks I might add.

You need fewer friends like Beav and your legions of friends on here and more like Max. Max could help you gain some perspective and show you how to make a difference in lives and society in real ways.

And if you make a better life for yourself in the process, that's a good thing as well. As someone who was poor as a kid, I can tell you the only people who are not motivated by money are people who were born very comfortable and people who live perpetually one the edge of poverty. At least that is my experience.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:00 pm dammit, Ousie...you deleted what i was really responding to
Dang, my bad.

The whole part about how I’m afraid fewer and fewer careers will be “economically viable?”

Yeah I didn’t wanna be to smartass with my comment that I hope phd doesn’t have to worry about making rent cuz his job looking into a microscope or whatever is eventually declared not worthy of a living wage, cuz I mean come on it doesn’t deserve it, it’s easy, even a high school kid can look into a microscope!

Or something.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:00 pm dammit, Ousie...you deleted what i was really responding to
Dang, my bad.

The whole part about how I’m afraid fewer and fewer careers will be “economically viable?”

Yeah I didn’t wanna be to smartass with my comment that I hope phd doesn’t have to worry about making rent cuz his job looking into a microscope or whatever is eventually declared not worthy of a living wage, cuz I mean come on it doesn’t deserve it, it’s easy, even a high school kid can look into a microscope!

Or something.
You are just being smug because you know we will always NEED someone to show us where to cast.
Deleted User 89

japhy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:17 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Dang, my bad.

Or something.
You are just being smug because you know we will always NEED someone to show us where to cast.
or to untangle my fly line