Strikes

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: Strikes

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i used to enjoy moving when i was younger, and accomplished it with a couple of pickup loads and day’s worth of manual labor

now older, moving isn’t cross-city but cross-country and requires a moving truck and nearly a week’s worth of labor

i guess that means i’ve accumulated too much shit
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:00 pm aaaand here comes tdub to tell me my experiences are invalid again.
What experiences? Youre place in a resort town with an overgrown rodent?

Or are you a former CEO of a real estate development and property management company who ran the national shareholder meetings?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Or are we counting instagram and reddit meme reading as experience now
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

My last moving experience was cross country. The day the movers came to load the truck, my neighbor committed suicide by shooting himself in the head (he was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic so decided that was it). My wife and I and the movers were all there when the wife found the husband, we got to hear her scream and then we called 911. They had a newborn baby. Police came, the movers took well into the night because they had to always stop when the police were taking photos, etc.

Next morning we left, SUV with my wife, two labs, and the very back full of suitcases. Drove 3 days, got to an empty house. The movers couldn't get there for almost a week, slept on an air mattress, it leaked. The movers only broke one piece of furniture, but it was a really nice desk that my in-laws bought for my wife for law school.

Thank god we had movers because it was 106 degrees the day they delivered our stuff.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:55 pm I dunno about you guys, but I think moving is a giant pain in the ass.

You’re making it sound as simple as choosing a different burger joint.
And it's a significant cost to switch tenants too. It's way cheaper to fix something for you than to get a new tenant
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m still not convinced finding a new tenant is as difficult as the shit phd described.

I just hope the tenant doesn’t feed the landlord some bullshit about arbitrarily withholding the deposit…oh wait, might have that backwards
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:13 pm I’m still not convinced finding a new tenant is as difficult as the shit phd described.

I just hope the tenant doesn’t feed the landlord some bullshit about arbitrarily withholding the deposit…oh wait, might have that backwards
well, I chose to leave. And the suicide was probably coincidental.

But on the subject of deposits. conceptually they make sense, yeah, a shitty landlord can be shitty about it. I've had one bad experience with a deposit, the rest have been fair, and a couple times I got the full deposit back when I know there were some things they could have dinged us for.

but again, that's just some people are assholes and others aren't.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, I mean you couldn't handle someone wanting to check into a hotel 2 hours early.

Imagine if you were working in a building and someone wanted to rent the place that came available on the 3rd of next month but they couldn't move in until the 18th, but they want you to hold it for them but not pay rent. Also, you allow pets, but they have a potbellied pig. AND, they are insisting that you not only change the locks, but they need to be a certain brand, AND they want new windows that are tinted and have alarms on them.

It works both ways.

Deleted User 89

i’ve always gotten full deposit back, but the wife and i go out of our way to leave the property cleaner than when we found it...and we’re responsible tenants, even with dogs and other critters
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:37 pm i’ve always gotten full deposit back, but the wife and i go out of our way to leave the property cleaner than when we found it...and we’re responsible tenants, even with dogs and other critters
Well, I always leave it cleaner than on moving in found it, except for when I moved into a new building. I had a dog scratch a door up and a dog tear up some carpet. We lost part of our deposit for those. But one time there was some damage to a handle on a door, that I thought they'd get us for, but it was apparently normal wear and tear. One place the movers themselves damaged the carpet on the last day, we got full deposit back because they were going to replace it anyway. The other times we got it all back and expected to.

The place I had a bad experience with was a whole series of bullshit. It woulda made Ousdahl's head spin. They wanted to replace all the carpets because dog's had lived there....even though there was no damage or stains from them....this was also a place that charged a pet deposit and pet rent. It was complete bullshit from a shitty company. So I know it can happen...but it's the only one I had.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve always gotten a full deposit back, except for one instance.

I always leave places cleaner than I found it, and even told that landlord. I even said, hey if there’s anything in particular you want me to do to get my deposit back just lemme know. “Oh you no, nothin special, just take care and clean it.” I cleaned this joint spotless. No pets either.

Nonetheless, the guy charges me several hours of cleaning at a hefty rate. I spend a week calling and emailing and texting, asking for an itemized list of what he spent hours cleaning.

He kept dodging the request, feeding some bullshit line, or just not responding at all, until finally, he sent me a pic of some scribbled notes on a piece of notebook paper.

It was incompressible, illegible, no indication of what took what time or cost, but he said he considered the issue resolved so leave him alone.

When I said I couldn’t read his chicken scratch and please explain, he offered whoppers such as “some dust on a ceiling fan” and “something splashed on the kitchen wall.” But hardly anything worth several hours of time to clean.

It was “only” a couple hundred bucks, so though I got boned I didn’t bother taking to court.

Mind, this is the same landlord whose place was furnished with a busted shower head when I moved in. I promptly made him aware, and he said he’d address “soon,” no don’t just go to the hardware store and send the receipt with a deduction from next month’s rent, if I do he won’t reimburse, he had plenty of other shower heads in a box in his basement.

He kept replying to messages with “soon,” and scheduling phone meetings about why he hasn’t fixed it yet. One meeting was for tonight at 7, gimme a call. I call, leave a voicemail, and get a message back 3 days later thst sorry he must have fallen asleep early. For the phone meeting he requested. About a shower head.

Finally, 3 months later, he stops by unannounced, with a dusty box full of old shower heads in no better condition than the busted one.

He says, “but I dunno what the big deal is, that shower head in there works fine.”

I know, cuz I got tired of waiting on your deadbeat landlord bullshit, and of taking showers under an erratic trickle, so I just went to the hardware store and spent $20 bucks out of pocket for a goddamn shower head.
Deleted User 89

tl;dr

;)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Landlord boned me on the shower head, boned me even more on the deposit, and long story short I got a Wendy’s burger instead
Deleted User 89

i hoped he lubed up
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Plenty of lube on a Wendy's burger.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wendy don’t cut corners
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:13 pm I’m still not convinced finding a new tenant is as difficult as the shit phd described.

DoNT tEll us oUr exPeriENces aREnt VaLiD
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:57 pm I’ve always gotten a full deposit back, except for one instance.
Then why focus on the one negative experience and project that onto all landlords

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Landlords don't win small claims cases when it comes to deposits unless they are super meticulous about documenting the condition of everything with the tenant when they move in. You should have sued.

Also, if your landlord doesn't give you interest on your deposit or proof that it's in an interest-bearing account, you can sue them for the full amount of the deposit, even if they just shorted you a buck. I am not sure if that's just Illinois law or if it applies in Colorado as well.

I stopped taking deposits because of that. Charged a small move-in fee to cover possible damages instead.

Seriously Ous, read your rights.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is it really worth suing for like $200?

And a shower head.

I was mostly just glad to wash my hands of it.

(And move into a new place with these chicks, and two dogs…ohh have I mentioned them?!)

And…mah rights? Go figure it’s you guys schooling me about laws regulating the free market.