COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by japhy »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Dude the virus itself doesn't affect that high of a percentage of people. We have statistical data on that. The amount of people hospitalized from covid is really low percentage wise. Always has been. You keep bringing up lockdowns mandates and stuff. Humans chose to do those. We didn't have to. They didn't stop covid. Minimally effective at best. If your argument is that the lockdowns and mandates are what is affecting everyone then you are accidentally admitting we shouldn't be having mandates
How about some math. The low percentage would be about 5% from numbers I found. No big deal.

If we did not try to flatten the curve while a vaccine was developed and we just let the disease run wild that would only mean 5% of 335,000,000 people or 16,750,000 people who need to be in an ICU. And there are another 13% or 43,550,000 that would need hospitalization. Even if only half the US got it in that first year, that puts an additional 30,000,000 people into hospitals.

This country has about 925,000 hospital beds, enough to cover .27% of the population at any time.

And we have about 35,000,000 non-covid admissions in a "normal" year for those hospital beds.

It's a small percentage of a big number. Does that help you put it in perspective?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Require a meningitis vaccine for students to go to school for decades...no one bats an eye.

Tell people they should get a covid vaccine..."but my precious personal preferences!!!!!!! Wahhhhh!! Don't tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!"
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

japhy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Dude the virus itself doesn't affect that high of a percentage of people. We have statistical data on that. The amount of people hospitalized from covid is really low percentage wise. Always has been. You keep bringing up lockdowns mandates and stuff. Humans chose to do those. We didn't have to. They didn't stop covid. Minimally effective at best. If your argument is that the lockdowns and mandates are what is affecting everyone then you are accidentally admitting we shouldn't be having mandates
How about some math. The low percentage would be about 5% from numbers I found. No big deal.

If we did not try to flatten the curve while a vaccine was developed and we just let the disease run wild that would only mean 5% of 335,000,000 people or 16,750,000 people who need to be in an ICU. And there are another 13% or 43,550,000 that would need hospitalization. Even if only half the US got it in that first year, that puts an additional 30,000,000 people into hospitals.

This country has about 925,000 hospital beds, enough to cover .27% of the population at any time.

And we have about 35,000,000 non-covid admissions in a "normal" year for those hospital beds.

It's a small percentage of a big number. Does that help you put it in perspective?
Not everybody is going to get it tho. Ive gotten the flu one time in my entire life. So I get what you're trying to say but doesn't quite apply
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:45 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Those lockdowns were ineffective and not backed by science. And are a separate issue. It was governments around the world panicking at the threat of the unknown. And for some reason copying china's response. Lockdowns were another another mistake by the government. We are still feeling the effects of it.

I think you accidentally supported my point tho. Lockdowns and vaccine mandates affect 100 percent of us. The virus affects maybe 5 percent. It makes no sense to enforce something on 100 percent of a population in regards to something that affects such a small percentage. Regardless of the situation
"The lockdowns were ineffective" because...... You said so? Please define "ineffective".
I say if a lockdown prevented just one person from contracting/spreading the virus, then it was effective. At least it was for that person. Which could have been you and/or someone you care about.

"and not backed by science"?...... I don't need science to tell me that if someone is sick and they stay at home and/or they are not near me - they are not going to get me sick.

Governments around the world may have been panicking at "the threat of the unknown" but the threat of the known was that people around the world were contracting a deadly virus that was fucking a lot of people up - in more ways than just being hospitalized and/or dying.

I am not educated enough on the subject to know everyone (individuals and countries as a whole) who was/were "copying China's response. No doubt mistakes were made. No doubt some good/beneficial decisions were made too.

Mistake or not, lockdowns were what was determined to be a good (if not best) way to stop the spread.
When shit was grim, as much as I detested the lockdown/s, right or wrong, I did and respected what I was told to do and what was deemed to be best for EVERYONE. Even if I disagreed.

Seems you and I can argue/debate semantics but I refuse to believe that the virus has affected less than 10% of the US population.
Like I said, we can debate/argue semantics.
My sister buried my brother in law a couple months ago. Over a 10 year period of time he had suffered from esophageal, prostate, colon, and rectal cancer.
Go ahead and tell my sister that his cancers didn't affect her in any way. I dare you.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:28 pm
japhy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Not everybody is going to get it tho. Ive gotten the flu one time in my entire life. So I get what you're trying to say but doesn't quite apply
What doesn't apply is a comparison to the flu. One billion people a year get the flu. You have probably been exposed to the flu every year for years. Everyone in the world has probably had the flu at some time in their lives, likely multiple times. Antibodies build up in the population.

Until last year no one had been exposed to covid and now the delta variant. It is is much more contagious than the flu.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:07 pm I'm curious how people reading all these dire articles on covid actually relate to the real world. If you get out and about you realize most people are living a normal life and don't really give a shit about covid
This is why hospitals and ICUs are filling up and ventilators are hard to come by.
Broham
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Thats a good argument for allowing healthy young people to build up natural antibodies to covid19 too then. Opposed to all this lockdowns mask mandates and vaccine requirements. And coronavirus has been around
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Lots of healthy people on vents and in ICUs. Please tell me you're not pro-life.
Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:00 pm Thats a good argument for allowing healthy young people to build up natural antibodies to covid19 too then. Opposed to all this lockdowns mask mandates and vaccine requirements. And coronavirus has been around
So dumb.

Vaccines provide better protection than infection and EVERYONE can get them with almost NO risk.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Randy wants people to die cuz freedum.
Broham
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:35 pm Randy wants people to die cuz freedum.
I like how the ERs are overfull and people are dying in accidents in higher numbers. Without sufficient treatment. Freedom.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Sparko wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:20 pm
I like how the ERs are overfull and people are dying in accidents in higher numbers. Without sufficient treatment. Freedom.
Source?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mjl wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:25 pm
Source?
Texas.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If thats true it will get worse after 1/3rd of the health care workers quit at the end of September.

But thats ok, zsn wouldn't let them treat him anyway. Because, as you know, despite years of training and experience....this one decision means you are incapable of providing adequate care; suddenly and immediately unqualified.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Seriously though, the CDC does have an excess death tabulator by week.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Plano ISD held an emergency School Board meeting. They quickly got to the point: Temporary Mask Mandate begins Thursday. Why now? Why not the first day of school? Oh well, at least it’s happening…

I’ll go to sleep tonight praying my 5yo didn’t catch Covid from his classmate… Tomorrow I’ll send him right back into the Covid crossfire and play the game of chess because I desperately want my son to have some kind of normalcy. Of course, I (and others wouldn’t have to do this) if it weren’t for you brain dead pieces of shit who are too scared to get a damn shot.

Fuck all of you “because I don’t want to”, “it’s my freedom”, “own the libs!” morons.

Randy, do you have a fucking kid? Ah forget it. You wouldn’t get it anyway.

Try being a parent to young kids right now…

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:13 pm Plano ISD held an emergency School Board meeting. They quickly got to the point: Temporary Mask Mandate begins Thursday. Why now? Why not the first day of school? Oh well, at least it’s happening…

I’ll go to sleep tonight praying my 5yo didn’t catch Covid from his classmate… Tomorrow I’ll send him right back into the Covid crossfire and play the game of chess because I desperately want my son to have some kind of normalcy. Of course, I (and others wouldn’t have to do this) if it weren’t for you brain dead pieces of shit who are too scared to get a damn shot.

Fuck all of you “because I don’t want to”, “it’s my freedom”, “own the libs!” morons.

I understand that its difficult with kids. I do. But, you are aware that vaccinated people still carry and spread the virus right? Unless you want to close the borders and completely isolate and quarantine with no movement until the entire world is vaccinated and boostered and boostered again then mayyyybbe it would go away except for pockets of outbreak. Its here, its going to stay. The vaccinations appear to be helping the severity but they arent stopping the spread. Israel is, i believe, the most vaccinated country in the world and they are experiencing a huge spike as well. Its fun to belittle and scream at people you disagree with but that doesn't mean the world is back to normal with a shot in the arm. Not by any stretch.
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Nice piece here from Illy’s fave:

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:58 pm
sdoyel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:13 pm Plano ISD held an emergency School Board meeting. They quickly got to the point: Temporary Mask Mandate begins Thursday. Why now? Why not the first day of school? Oh well, at least it’s happening…

I understand that its difficult with kids. I do. But, you are aware that vaccinated people still carry and spread the virus right? Unless you want to close the borders and completely isolate and quarantine with no movement until the entire world is vaccinated and boostered and boostered again then mayyyybbe it would go away except for pockets of outbreak. Its here, its going to stay. The vaccinations appear to be helping the severity but they arent stopping the spread. Israel is, i believe, the most vaccinated country in the world and they are experiencing a huge spike as well. Its fun to belittle and scream at people you disagree with but that doesn't mean the world is back to normal with a shot in the arm. Not by any stretch.
The answer is: You give yourself the best chance to win. Always.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦