COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 887

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 887 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:21 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:17 am

Well if enforcement is anything like their mask rules inside the parks then I doubt it will matter much.

Some businesses make rules for safety. Others make rules for optics.

I am not sure which Disney will be, but they have mask rules and they weren't really being enforced when i was there in June.
When in June were you there?
Middle of June.

Some restaurants inside the parks were closed. But we still had a wonderful time. Especially at Animal Kingdom.
I asked because it seems they made changes/adjustments to their "rules"/"requirements" in mid June.
Regardless, I figure Disneyland and Disneyworld would be anal in regards to the following of rules/requirements. I guess not.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:32 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:40 am 333,985,000

15000 sounds bad if you wanna focus in that.
But that mean there's almost 334 million that aren't hospitalized with covid. Sad but still small potatoes
Again, if you're the one in the thread arguing that 15,000 largely-preventable deaths are fine and a rounding error, some introspection is in order.
The number was hospitalizations not deaths. But yeah. They've had plenty of chances to get vaccinated if they wanted to go that route. Illness and death is just a normal part of the human experience. Covid falls into that at this point. Its been 2 years. Accept things and move forward. Like I said these numbers sound big but its a really really small portion of our population. Our population is just too big in general and too big for most people to rationalize
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:23 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:10 am Will be fun to watch DeSantis run into his doghouse when Disney calls for a vaccine requirement at its parks.
Well if enforcement is anything like their mask rules inside the parks then I doubt it will matter much.

I am not sure which Disney will be, but they have mask rules and they weren't really being enforced when i was there in June.
Vax requirement quite a bit different in practice.
Not if checking is similar to what Gutter experienced at Lollapolooza. They're paper cards or printouts in thousands of different formats. There is no way to quickly verify if they are real.

Most Disney stuff is outside or partially outside. I get it for cruises, but i doubt they really want to chase off people dropping money for the parks. Could be wrong. I honestly think Disney is fairly low risk (other than a few select indoor rides, but even those are huge spaces with good ventilation) with common sense precautions.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

a friend went to a big concert at a big venue with a big act the other night. rules were you had to show proof of vaxx or proof of a negative test in the last 72 hours. he says they were not checking at the gate.

it's mostly just lip service. i am fine with that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:23 am

Vax requirement quite a bit different in practice.
Not if checking is similar to what Gutter experienced at Lollapolooza. They're paper cards or printouts in thousands of different formats. There is no way to quickly verify if they are real.

Most Disney stuff is outside or partially outside. I get it for cruises, but i doubt they really want to chase off people dropping money for the parks. Could be wrong. I honestly think Disney is fairly low risk (other than a few select indoor rides, but even those are huge spaces with good ventilation) with common sense precautions.
It's way different--deters people from even planning a trip. Especially if they go with the pre-approval, which they undoubtedly will with their cruise ships.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:32 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:40 am 333,985,000

15000 sounds bad if you wanna focus in that.
But that mean there's almost 334 million that aren't hospitalized with covid. Sad but still small potatoes
Again, if you're the one in the thread arguing that 15,000 largely-preventable deaths are fine and a rounding error, some introspection is in order.
The number was hospitalizations not deaths. But yeah. They've had plenty of chances to get vaccinated if they wanted to go that route. Illness and death is just a normal part of the human experience. Covid falls into that at this point. Its been 2 years. Accept things and move forward. Like I said these numbers sound big but its a really really small portion of our population. Our population is just too big in general and too big for most people to rationalize
But you're looking at all of this in a vacuum. In practice, these are 15,000 hospital beds not available for people with other issues. 15,000 instances of finite resources (people, equipment, time, etc.) being needlessly wasted, largely because people threw a toddler rage-fit over getting the damn shots.

You are correct that that's 15,000 instances of (stupid) individual decisionmaking. But it affects lots and lots and lots of other people, like people who need those resources.
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

It’s 25,000 ICU beds. Statistically 15,000 of those will die. But 25,000 is about 40% of all ICU beds in this country. People do need the beds for other things.

Speaking of numbers, 12,000 being added to the death toll in NY after Cuomo covered up those numbers. But I mean 12,000, who cares.

https://apnews.com/article/andrew-cuomo ... _medium=AP
Last edited by Deleted User 902 on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am being told anecdotes, but very reliable ones, from people inside and outside the healthcare industry that patients needing a bed for non-covid stuff being turned away because hospitals in KC and Wichita are too full with covid patients.
Deleted User 863

NotGutterGutter wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:21 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am

When in June were you there?
Middle of June.

Some restaurants inside the parks were closed. But we still had a wonderful time. Especially at Animal Kingdom.
I asked because it seems they made changes/adjustments to their "rules"/"requirements" in mid June.
Regardless, I figure Disneyland and Disneyworld would be anal in regards to the following of rules/requirements. I guess not.
Ya. Must have happened right before we went. It wasn't a total free for all by any means. Entrance to the parks and any indoor places had signs and some workers would remind guests in certain areas of lines for rides. I only went inside maybe 2 areas where i felt like i needed a mask, other than that you're in big spaces or outside. But thankfully my kids aren't bothered by masks and still had a great time.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

No no. Gotta wear masks outdoors now.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:14 am No no. Gotta wear masks outdoors now.
#science?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am good with and even in favor of outdoor mask mandates, but obviously, the mileage is really going to vary where you are. Middle of Tokyo is different than Chillicothe, Missouri.

I was in a place with outdoor mask mandates last month riding a bicycle and a cop parked on the road flashed his lights and yelled at me to put my mask on. Seemed a little silly given hardly anyone else on the road, but I managed to not throw a temper tantrum.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"and even in favor of outdoor mask mandates"

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cosplay?!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:31 amCosplay?!
My cosplay was hasbeen--borrowed the mask.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if i wear my jockstrap outside my britches, when i am outdoors, will that help to stop the spread.

same science as wearing a mask outdoors while riding a bike.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 am if i wear my jockstrap outside my britches, when i am outdoors, will that help to stop the spread.
Hopefully, it should help you from spreading your DNA.
That can't be bad news.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i want to do my portion to keep the hysteria spreading like wildfire.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we are done following the science. have been.

with the current administration we are following the politics.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 am we are done following the science. have been.

with the current administration we are following the politics.
Do you even READ the bullshit that you post?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy