COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

I suppose we need to differentiate between anti-vax generally, and anti-Covid-vax.

I think LEO skews right. And anti-Covid-vax is absolutely a right-wing thing.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

My biggest take away is we desperately need a political reform. We need a third people to get more support. Can't keep electing politicians that are going to use and manipulate real world situations to this degree. Covid become so tied into the elections and over politicized that a lot of Americans are just like what the fuck. Can't take an honest open minded look at the situation
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:30 am Someone tell me again about how choosing to not vaccinate affects only yourself:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/us/covid ... index.html

"What we are seeing is just a tremendous amount of patients coming in. The other day, our emergency room had a 12-hour wait. Almost every hospital in the city is on diversion, meaning they don't have room to take transfer patients," Paryani said. "Patients who need complex care simply can't access it. This kind of strain is something we've never seen before."
Gonna get worse when 30% of the med staff is gone. But zsn didnt want their help anyway so its ok.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:51 am My biggest take away is we desperately need a political reform. We need a third people to get more support. Can't keep electing politicians that are going to use and manipulate real world situations to this degree. Covid become so tied into the elections and over politicized that a lot of Americans are just like what the fuck. Can't take an honest open minded look at the situation
We've needed a 3rd party my whole life. Too much money in the 2 warring (whoring?) factions though
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am I suppose we need to differentiate between anti-vax generally, and anti-Covid-vax.

Yeah there are a lot of Americans that are pro vaccine but anti covid vaccine. Or unsure. Cause of all the politics involved, the nature of covid, and the rushed nature of this vaccine
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am I suppose we need to differentiate between anti-vax generally, I and anti-Covid-vax.

Somewhat related, when did the alt-right just become the right? Like 2017 I guess?

But yeah, I think law enforcement skewing right is more because a lot of law enforcement are are white males from 25-45, and machismo is a feature and not a bug. I don’t think LEO, in of itself is a conservative type job (I mean it’s public service for Pete’s sake), but those who go into the profession tend to have a type
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am I suppose we need to differentiate between anti-vax generally, and anti-Covid-vax.

I wish there was a venn diagram for racist cops and antivax cops. I bet there's a lot of overlap. Both are fueled by ignorance.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:52 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 am I suppose we need to differentiate between anti-vax generally, I and anti-Covid-vax.

Somewhat related, when did the alt-right just become the right? Like 2017 I guess?

But yeah, I think law enforcement skewing right is more because a lot of law enforcement are are white males from 25-45, and machismo is a feature and not a bug. I don’t think LEO, in of itself is a conservative type job (I mean it’s public service for Pete’s sake), but those who go into the profession tend to have a type
White males 25-45 with power/gun fetishes and educations that ended with high school. Yeah, that demo will skew a particular direction.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No 4-year degree required for most on-the-ground LEO's either. That's not to make any kind of statement, it's just the demographic breakdown of the voters.

Anecdote, I know, but my friend is a detective at KCPD. His political stances are moderate, which he describes as very left within KCPD. It was a really tough few weeks for him after being directed to be on the Plaza post George Floyd.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If it’s any indication how cops feel about vaxxing, or how cops vote and how that correlates, consider how cops feel about BLM.

Heck, BLM may not have to be a thing if not for cops
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:26 amAgain, proportionately, black/hispanic people are less vaccinated than other races...do we want even less of those types of officers in their communities? I certainly don't think their communities want less minority officers.

Indirect impacts have to be considered.
I just have a major issue with the whole argument of: "Public and private employers should really think about not mandating vaccines because a bunch of their employees will quit if they do."
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I also think we tend to think of LEO as untrained city cops. When in reality LEO consists of so many more things. DEA FBI ATF. Those guys aren't mostly uneducated. They're well trained. Most with college degrees. I think they're more diverse politically than what we generally think when we're envisioning HS degree JoBob on a power trip as a city cop....even though there are plenty of those too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think the context, though, was the street level guys. And then look at the opposite voting endorsements the police unions have compared to other labor unions.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 am

I also think we tend to think of LEO as untrained city cops. When in reality LEO consists of so many more things. DEA FBI ATF. Those guys aren't mostly uneducated. They're well trained. Most with college degrees. I think they're more diverse politically than what we generally think when we're envisioning HS degree JoBob on a power trip as a city cop....even though there are plenty of those too.
Anecdotal, but I play a lot of golf with a US marshal. Highly educated (well, UK), lives in a very nice house, good husband/dad etc.

Red as red could be, and I gather that's pretty standard in his work circle.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:23 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 am

Anecdotal, but I play a lot of golf with a US marshal. Highly educated (well, UK), lives in a very nice house, good husband/dad etc.

Red as red could be, and I gather that's pretty standard in his work circle.
But is he anti vaxx?

My brother in law is in a big city. So maybe more liberal by nature? I have only met a few of his co workers and i don't have the slightest idea what their political affiliation (which is a good thing imo).
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:22 am I think the context, though, was the street level guys. And then look at the opposite voting endorsements the police unions have compared to other labor unions.
I get it. But i also don't always feel cops are as inherently bad as some do around here. I think the very few bad ones really fuck it up for the good ones.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I haven't asked. I know his chiropractor wife is not vaxxed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:27 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:22 am I think the context, though, was the street level guys. And then look at the opposite voting endorsements the police unions have compared to other labor unions.
I get it. But i also don't always feel cops are as inherently bad as some do around here. I think the very few bad ones really fuck it up for the good ones.
Would you please go find a single instance of anyone here saying cops are inherently bad? Good grief.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:28 am I haven't asked. I know his chiropractor wife is not vaxxed.
Probably a good indicator.

All the chiropractors i know are weird.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:28 am I haven't asked. I know his chiropractor wife is not vaxxed.
Probably a good indicator.

All the chiropractors i know are weird.
Oh for sure. Fake doctors.