Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by TDub »

And do the democrats?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well said, illy!

For real though, and I’m not saying there aren’t, but - are there examples of Biden pulling fascist shit like firing officials who won’t not investigate him?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... ment-calls
Well, the Dems brought this nonsense on themselves. Republicans are now going to scream for impeachment or removal from office if anything goes wrong anywhere. Calling for impeachment because some US soldiers were killed overseas in an attack is so stupid. The blatant pandering is just so gross.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

How did the Dems bring this upon themselves?

Trump was impeached for things that involved criminal intent.

They want to impeach Biden for screwing up.
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:15 pm https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... ment-calls
Well, the Dems brought this nonsense on themselves. Republicans are now going to scream for impeachment or removal from office if anything goes wrong anywhere. Calling for impeachment because some US soldiers were killed overseas in an attack is so stupid. The blatant pandering is just so gross.
I mean it’s only 12 deaths. I was told with 330 million Americans, I shouldn’t start caring until it’s at least 6-figures dead. And even then we all die.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:36 pm How did the Dems bring this upon themselves?

Trump was impeached for things that involved criminal intent.

They want to impeach Biden for screwing up.
I didn't say that it was legitimate; just that their actions resulted in this set of GOP honks inevitably blabbering about impeachment, the 25th Amendment, incompetence, criminal, etc.... at every opportunity, whether it is absurd or not.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont think its worthy of impeachment or even in the ballpark...but it certainly is worthy of criticism. It was either a poor plan or a poorly executed plan.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’d be curious to see how things would go if someone blew the whistle on Biden asking the Ukrainian dood for a favor.

Or for that matter, if Biden incited a riot to attack senators and hang veep.

…on second thought, if Biden had veep hanged he’d prob win over an awful lotta Republican votes…
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

imagine blaming dubya for 9/11 and calling for his impeachment
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:11 pm imagine blaming dubya for 9/11 and calling for his impeachment
Not really the same.....at all

Also, there are lots of people that blame W for 9/11. Or, more specifically W, Cheney and Rumsfield.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:17 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:11 pm imagine blaming dubya for 9/11 and calling for his impeachment

Also, there are lots of people that blame W for 9/11. Or, more specifically W, Cheney and Rumsfield.
close enough for “lots” of people to have the same thought
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Just because people have the same end result in mind doesnt make the situations comparable in practice. More than one way to get to 100.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That is an interesting thought.

In the wake of 911, W enjoyed some of the most robust support a potus had ever seen.

But that seems a different era.

But what if Biden was in charge? Or Trump? Or - gasp - Kenyan Mooslim?!

It’s not hard to imagine some critical mass of the country calling for impeachment
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:24 pm That is an interesting thought.

In the wake of 911, W enjoyed some of the most robust support a potus had ever seen.

But that seems a different era.

But what if Biden was in charge? Or Trump? Or - gasp - Kenyan Mooslim?!

It’s not hard to imagine some critical mass of the country calling for impeachment
Disagree.

Times/people/attitudes were different then.

Also, W handled what I remember from 9/11 pretty well.
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:23 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Just because people have the same end result in mind doesnt make the situations comparable in practice. More than one way to get to 100.
i wasn’t trying to say the two were the same...just illustrating how silly drawing those conclusions is

Biden made mistakes. he listened to the wrong intelligence, which led to regrettable decisions

hindsight is always 20/20

hopefully we all learn from this, from Biden to the intelligence community (both Afghani and our own), to even you and i. sadly, i don’t think “we” will...’murican exceptionalism and all that
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If times/people/attitudes were different then, as I too suggested when I mention it was a different era, then what are you (eta Illy) disagreeing with?

W’s big scandal was, what again? He came across as some ditzy cowboy? And yeah, he seemed to handle it well enough, and was popular cuz of it. At least in the more immediate aftermath.

Worth noting, W didn’t have Facebook to worry about, and especially didn’t have the ugly extreme of the viral fake news algorithms yet.

But what if 911 happened right at the peak of Birthergate? or during some Trump knee jerk executive order or Q dog whistle presser? Or Biden wondering where he is today?
Deleted User 89

dubya handled it well?

how long did sit there with that goober look on his face? another 8 or 9 minutes, apparently...and this was after learning about the 2nd plane. he learned about the first plane while en route to the school

there was plenty for him to be roasted about (which he was)

given that what followed was the seemingly never ending war on terror (with what accomplishments?), i’m curious as to what is being seen as handling it well
Deleted User 89

point being, again, that hindsight is always 20/20...it’s easy to play arm-chair quarterback from behind computer screen
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I thought W had that look on his face cuz he was having a hard time reading all the lines to Green Eggs And Ham?