COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 863

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Fwiw, and anecdotal obviously, but my wife has 2 pregnant friends...neither of their doctors would tell them they "should" definitely get the vaccine while pregnant. They said they can if they feel comfortable and that if they don't they "should" get it after the baby is born. Both did say they hadn't seen anything that made them think they definitely "shouldn't" get it while pregnant. I guess they just didn't feel comfortable absolutely recommending something yet? 1 has since had the baby and gotten vaccinated. The other is still pregnant.

I am not sure if that is widespread or just a coincidence. One lives in IL and one in Texas so wasn't the same doctor.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Not saying you're wrong. But the trials havent concluded. There are a surprising number of vaccines and medicines that are not recommended while pregnant. I would be hesitant to take a vaccine that is still in trials for pregnant women without full inderstanding of potential impacts.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 am Not saying you're wrong. But the trials havent concluded. There are a surprising number of vaccines and medicines that are not recommended while pregnant. I would be hesitant to take a vaccine that is still in trials for pregnant women without full inderstanding of potential impacts.
Ya. My wife and I aren't pregnant or planning to be, but she said if she was pregnant she thinks she might feel safer just opting for isolating from everyone rather than getting vaccinated while pregnant....but again, just hypothetical discussion so who knows.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 am Not saying you're wrong. But the trials havent concluded. There are a surprising number of vaccines and medicines that are not recommended while pregnant. I would be hesitant to take a vaccine that is still in trials for pregnant women without full inderstanding of potential impacts.
vs the alternative? Dying of a highly infectious disease while pregnant?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:31 am vs the alternative? Dying of a highly infectious disease while pregnant?
are you a pediatrician or a gynecologist or an obstetrician?
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Obstetrician i think is what youre looking for maybe
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

The best way to avoid covid is to isolate from the outside world. Extreme isolation.

I wish the world would do 3 or 4 weeks of complete and extreme lockdowns. Then we might finally stand a chance against the virus. The half assed lockdowns don't work. It sould suck. But it would work if enough people complied. Right now the virus is circulating in such high volumes it is just nearly impossible to slow down trying to live life regularly regardless of vaccination status.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:31 am
Alternative of making smart low risk choices and staying out of crowded public places while pregnant? Japan just recalled 1.63 million doses of moderna due to possible contamination and presence of an unknown foreign solid. These are still new vaccines...we have no idea how they might impact the mothers nor the unborn. There is already a crazy amount of change going on in a pregnant woman without adding to the mix.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 am
Alternative of making smart low risk choices and staying out of crowded public places while pregnant? Japan just recalled 1.63 million doses of moderna due to possible contamination and presence of an unknown foreign solid. These are still new vaccines...we have no idea how they might impact the mothers nor the unborn. There is already a crazy amount of change going on in a pregnant woman without adding to the mix.
They're now not any "newer" than your annual flu shot.
Deleted User 863

I avoided covid for almost a year simply by common sense precautions.

I think getting vaccinated has made people too relaxed. I certainly have been. Crowded restaurants and bars. Things I absolutely never would have done last year before getting vaccinated.

The real move we should be doing is vaccinating and isolating/social distancing. But we have sort of stopped. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated.

We aren't going to slow or stop this without changing our behaviors. We can blame and point fingers, but the truth is not very many of us are willing to make major sacrifices to our ways of life to get this thing circulating at low levels.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

When my wife and I were doing IVF to have our first child, do you realize how many shots/vaccines we were both required to take (or already have) before starting the process?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:48 am I avoided covid for almost a year simply by common sense precautions.

I think getting vaccinated has made people too relaxed. I certainly have been. Crowded restaurants and bars. Things I absolutely never would have done last year before getting vaccinated.

The real move we should be doing is vaccinating and isolating/social distancing. But we have sort of stopped. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated.

We aren't going to slow or stop this without changing our behaviors. We can blame and point fingers, but the truth is not very many of us are willing to make major sacrifices to our ways of life to get this thing circulating at low levels.
But here's the thing: on a population scale, if everyone would just get the fucking shot, we could do all of those things, guilt-free.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:48 am I avoided covid for almost a year simply by common sense precautions.

Opening up should have been the carrot dangled to get everyone vaxxed. Instead, the vax was released so everyone opened up.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:31 am vs the alternative? Dying of a highly infectious disease while pregnant?
wouldn't the above qualify as the definition of misinformation?

dr. hysteria is telling the pregnant gals to "either take the vaxx, or you and your unborn child will die"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 am

But here's the thing: on a population scale, if everyone would just get the fucking shot, we could do all of those things, guilt-free.
This is false.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:47 am
TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:43 am

They're now not any "newer" than your annual flu shot.
mRNA vaccines are different (and newer) than the annual flu shot.

Although i was just reading about mRNA flu shot vaccines and how those are showing promising results.

Yes the risks from vaccines are VERY low (and far outweighed by the risks of actually getting covid), but let's stop pretending there is no chance for negative long term effects from the vaccines (especially in pregnant women and children). It is reasonable for people to be cautious.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 am
wouldn't the above qualify as the definition of misinformation?

dr. hysteria is telling the pregnant gals to "either take the vaxx, or you and your unborn child will die"
Yes
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 am

This is false.
Explain.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:51 am

Opening up should have been the carrot dangled to get everyone vaxxed. Instead, the vax was released so everyone opened up.
That was the carrot. Then it was booster shot....in perpetuity
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 am

This is false.
Yup.

Since vaccinated people can still contract and spread the virus it has to be attacked from multiple ways. Isolating and socially distancing are effective ways to enhance the protection provided by the vaccine.

But even the vaccinated are fed up with making sacrifices. That sucks. But it's reality.