The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:21 pm Id likw to get an old used sawmill. I think thats be awesome. Or, at minimum, an alaska mill to make some of the more rough cut stuff.
back in ‘99, my pops and i put up a barn on their property in Kansas. awesome experience...field stones from the property for the foundation, and all the lumber from a local (jefferson co., about 10mi N of Lawrence) old-school mill run by an old grizzled man by the name of Bill Fanin. no idea if it’s still operational (i think he died of rocky mtn spotted fever some years back), but it was such a cool place

everything but the roof trusses was rough-sawn from that mill...6x8 oak for the sill, 6x6 oak for the structural trusses, and 2x12 cottonwood (i think) for the upstairs flooring...all the major structural joints done with hand-cut mortis and tennon. unforgettable experience, and crazy to think that barn is already 20+ years old
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Dang,I'd love to drive by and see that structure! I'll be building an out building at Dabinawa later this fall.
Deleted User 89

Doyle, where you at?

West African Banded Cobra, escaped from idiot’s house, now apparently on the loose in a DFW suburb
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:40 am Doyle, where you at?

West African Banded Cobra, escaped from idiot’s house, now apparently on the loose in a DFW suburb
He's probably out looking for his escaped snake.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

in case anyone was wondering what a Laser Ablation Multi-Collector Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer is, there is a cool story about its use to reconstruct the life of a mammoth here:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... D24E026F2C
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ICP-MS is extremely sensitive, way better than radioisotope dating. A colleague who was an MS expert at a former company did his PhD work on establishing ages of corals using C-12/C-14 ratio by MS. Now he has a company which among other work distinguishes natural vs synthetic chemicals using carbon isotope abundance by MS. Because growing plants and animals continuously incorporate carbon from CO2 the C-14 is close to the natural abundance. For synthetic compounds the starting materials come from petrochemicals and their isotope makeup is markedly different.
Deleted User 89

it’s not as much fun when you use the acronym, zsn
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I thought it was more fun with acronyms 😂😂

The spectroscopy people are the worst when it comes to acronyms. I am willing to bet that they can string together multiple sentences using only acronyms (MALDI-TOF anyone?). We almost think that the NMR people come up with an acronym for pulse sequences and then the description to fit it. They have things like APT, INADEQUATE, COSY, SECSY and NOESY
Deleted User 89

i’ve had a crash course in all of that technology with this current job

all we use is RP-HPLC, but academic endeavors are using all of the technologies you cited so i’ve had to familiarize myself just understand the literature
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:03 am I thought it was more fun with acronyms 😂😂

The spectroscopy people are the worst when it comes to acronyms. I am willing to bet that they can string together multiple sentences using only acronyms (MALDI-TOF anyone?). We almost think that the NMR people come up with an acronym for pulse sequences and then the description to fit it. They have things like APT, INADEQUATE, COSY, SECSY and NOESY
I am in IT at a Bank. My old boss put together an acronym spreadsheet for all of the acronyms we run into in our job.

It currently has 1,994 entries.
Deleted User 89

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:03 pm
All for it. Bring'em back and let them roam
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

parts of Europe seem to be embracing the re-wilding philosophy

too bad more here in the US won’t
Deleted User 89

it’s often cold as fuck, but if you’re in the area and don’t mind some tourist crowds, Custer State Park has an annual bison roundup at the end of september that can be a good time if you’ve never seen such a thing
Deleted User 89

murder hornets!!

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/27/10316535 ... state-nest

A Nest Of Nearly 1,500 Asian Giant 'Murder Hornets' Has Been Eradicated
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Camping/glamping tomorrow.
Excited.
No murder Hornets plz.
shindig

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:20 pm Camping/glamping tomorrow.
Excited.
No murder Hornets plz.
Went down to Bull Shoals for a 3 day buddies trip (Thursday evening-Sunday). He's got a nice house down there. Did a 12 mile canoe float trip Friday on the White river. Within 15 minutes, my buddy dumped the canoe reaching for a beer. My iPhone was in a waterproof case (yes, it's a 2016 SE). But the waterproof case functioned like shit. Phone has been dead since then. Went to T-mobile this morning to get a new one and switch from Sprint. Get everything set up and couldn't for the life of me remember my 6-10 digit PIN. Still have a dead phone. So frustrating, but hey, the trip was fun.
Deleted User 89

love the White River
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Inside Colorado’s attempt to police the growing number of homeless camps in national forests

https://coloradosun.com/2021/08/23/home ... al-forest/