Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:21 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:19 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:55 pm

I get it. But at least expediting the process needs to happen. Lot of the requirements are on-the-job anyway, right? I think temporary relaxed requirements are already happening here--I know they are elsewhere.
Ok, you get the guy who got a D- in doctorin.
Who's to say we all haven't at one point?
Just yankin your chain, I get it. Hospitals need to staff up. Mrs 99's hospital is closing a floor to consolidate staff. They are especially short on techs.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:55 pm

I get it. But at least expediting the process needs to happen. Lot of the requirements are on-the-job anyway, right? I think temporary relaxed requirements are already happening here--I know they are elsewhere.
Based on the number who won't get a safe life protecting shot, I'd say a lot have.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:06 pm Hey Randy, this is why we try to convince others to get vaccinated. People like you infringe on this guy's right to life you immoral piece of shit.

I am vaccinated. so... whats your point bud? check your emotions or dont post
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Learn math or don't post.

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:13 pm
Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:06 pm Hey Randy, this is why we try to convince others to get vaccinated. People like you infringe on this guy's right to life you immoral piece of shit.

But you're against vaccine requirements because you say it violates people's freedom. What about the freedom of the guy who dies because he can't be seen by the hospital because they're overwhelmed by Covid patients.

Jesus, could you miss the point any worse...
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:32 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:13 pm

But you're against vaccine requirements because you say it violates people's freedom. What about the freedom of the guy who dies because he can't be seen by the hospital because they're overwhelmed by Covid patients.

Jesus, could you miss the point any worse...
No, he couldn't. He's incredibly stupid.

Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

I was a little ticked off that I felt the need to explain logic to a kid (about 18, 19 years old) in the Nike store today. He was basically boasting that he isn't vaccinated and his excuse was that his doctor told him he is very healthy and if he gets Covid he should be ok. I then asked him if he gets Covid and passes it on to my 88 year old mother - will she be ok? He just kind of shrugged his shoulders. I told him forget about my mother but not to forget about those he does care about that he could "infect".
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

in the 18,19 year olds defense, if he gets covid, he will be fine.

above all the elderly and the compromised need to be cautious.

so rather than mandate a healthy 18, 19 year old, why don't the elderly and the compromised take their precautions.

something to think about.

my mother is 91. My nephew is 18. is there a one size fit all cookie cutter approach.

let the hysteria begin.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:45 pmmy mother is 91. My nephew is 18. is there a one size fit all cookie cutter approach.
Yes. Get a vaccine that has been dosed nearly 6 billion times to date.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:37 pm I was a little ticked off that I felt the need to explain logic to a kid (about 18, 19 years old) in the Nike store today. He was basically boasting that he isn't vaccinated and his excuse was that his doctor told him he is very healthy and if he gets Covid he should be ok. I then asked him if he gets Covid and passes it on to my 88 year old mother - will she be ok? He just kind of shrugged his shoulders. I told him forget about my mother but not to forget about those he does care about that he could "infect".
Sometimes I wonder if you're Norman Bates
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:45 pmmy mother is 91. My nephew is 18. is there a one size fit all cookie cutter approach.
I agree, but realistically do any of you really expect almost 100% of our citizens to get a shot every 8 months for the rest of their lives? We're at nearly 75% right now, but nearly 33% of those are nearing time for a booster and it starts all over.

There is no feasible way to force vaccinate the unwilling every 8 months imo.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

try 5 months. the administration is preparing to recommend after 5 months.
Deleted User 863

Some things to consider....

This isn't the worst it has been during the entire pandemic as far as new cases go, but it's close.....and it's happening with close to 75% of our population at least partially vaccinated.

Our hospital system is stressed in many areas....and it's happening with close to 75% of our population at least partially vaccinated.

Bottom line: the vaccine isn't enough on it's own.

We should be in another lockdown right now....but we aren't. Why is that?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Based on the number who won't get a safe life protecting shot, I'd say a lot have.
I have told this anecdote before, but here it is anyway and germane. When I was a TA in Organic Chemistry, while I was a grad student, given that a large majority of my students had aspirations of going on to medical school, I used to semi-jokingly say that we TAs were the last line of defense in ensuring the quality of future medical care in this country.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:45 pm in the 18,19 year olds defense, if he gets covid, he will be fine.

above all the elderly and the compromised need to be cautious.

so rather than mandate a healthy 18, 19 year old, why don't the elderly and the compromised take their precautions.

have lo
my mother is 91. My nephew is 18. is there a one size fit all cookie cutter approach.

let the hysteria begin.
A. YOU assume the kid will be fine - and he very well may be - but........ There have been teenagers who had Covid and were not "fine".

B. Yes, the elderly and the compromised need to be cautious. Or at least should be cautious.
Just as I am cautious - knowing that I am around other people each and every day. Many of who I don't know if they are "compromised".

C. I'm against "mandates". I'm 100% FOR people to care about others and not just themself.

D. I'm not sure about one size fit all approaches but I'm pretty sure the virus doesn't give a shit how old you are.

E. To me, "hysteria" is almost as dangerous as negligence but I get really pissed off when people minimize the virus. That's just plain stupid to me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 pmI'm against "mandates". I'm 100% FOR people to care about others and not just themself.
Mandates are way more realistic.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:25 pm
I agree, but realistically do any of you really expect almost 100% of our citizens to get a shot every 8 months for the rest of their lives? We're at nearly 75% right now, but nearly 33% of those are nearing time for a booster and it starts all over.

Quit assuming that will be the case.

I doubt very seriously that we'd be getting an 8 month booster if the number of infected was lower.

It doesn't start all over. Healthy individuals who are vaccinnated don't lose all the protective benefits after 8 months, but on average it falls below some threshold. You get a booster and you at a higher level of protection. We don't yet know how long the third shot will offer protection for, it might make it a lot longer.

And it's not 75%, it's about 53% that are fully vaxxed right now.

And why shouldn't we expect people to do the right thing and get vaccinated. I expect people not to murder me, or sucker punch me.

Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:07 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Quit assuming that will be the case.

I doubt very seriously that we'd be getting an 8 month booster if the number of infected was lower.

It doesn't start all over. Healthy individuals who are vaccinnated don't lose all the protective benefits after 8 months, but on average it falls below some threshold. You get a booster and you at a higher level of protection. We don't yet know how long the third shot will offer protection for, it might make it a lot longer.
I hope you're right.

I still think we should be in lockdowns right now if we are really trying to make a meaningful impact on the virus circulating. What we are doing isn't working. It's a lot of lip service and finger pointing. Lockdowns work at stopping the spread of the virus. They worked before the vaccine. They'd work even better now.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the more that are vaccinated, the less opportunities there are for novel variants