COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ousdahl »

Whatever it is, I figure a little horse dewormer should clear it right up.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and speaking of removing all doubt

So I phoned an old friend (who’s suddenly now an anti-vaxxer), and told him imma be traveling to go visit my dad who’s having heart surgery.

His response: “lemme guess, it’s cuz your dad got the vax, didn’t he?”
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:49 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm*bites tongue*
You should see a doctor about that. Or fuck it, just google it.
why google it when uninformed opinions are so much easier and edgy
Deleted User 89

heard an interesting take on possible motivation of anti-vaxers...

there is a growing sense of helplessness among many. particularly in 2020, but even more so now, many feel like there is less and less that they have control over...making the decision about a vaccine and/or masks, particularly when there is a feeling individualism and nonconformity associated with the decision, gives some the needed feeling of control...even if only subconsciously
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:49 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm*bites tongue*
You should see a doctor about that. Or fuck it, just google it.
Don't kink shame.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KU Med is mandating vax for all employees and students.

Only thing holding KU back from system wide mandate is an anticipated costly legal battle with the state. This could be just the safest play, or the first domino to fall.
Deleted User 902

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:28 pm KU Med is mandating vax for all employees and students.

Only thing holding KU back from system wide mandate is an anticipated costly legal battle with the state. This could be just the safest play, or the first domino to fall.
Doesn't Kansas have a Dem governor? Who would be bringing suit from the state against the University?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:28 pm KU Med is mandating vax for all employees and students.

Doesn't Kansas have a Dem governor? Who would be bringing suit from the state against the University?
Bad typing--the state laws are likely what KU would be fighting against. Those would have been put in place by about the reddest state legislature in the land despite the dem gov. Suit could possibly come from the AG or by representative student plaintiffs (like randylahey).
Deleted User 902

Actually, it's more my bad. I just looked, and didn't realize Kansas AG is an elected position. I assumed it was appointed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:37 pm Actually, it's more my bad. I just looked, and didn't realize Kansas AG is an elected position. I assumed it was appointed.
And he's a 2020 election truther, so . . .
Deleted User 902

God dammit Kansas. WTF are we doing here?
Deleted User 89

a number of universities in Utah are mandating now that Pfizer has full approval

our law only prohibited mandates for emergency use authorization vaccines
Deleted User 902

Deleted User 89

not a good look (and is, in a sense, shooting ourselves in the foot)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... h-n1278211

15 million Covid vaccine doses thrown away in the U.S. since March, new data shows

shouldn’t come as a surprise though, given how wasteful our society is in general
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think being wasteful is the issue.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:46 pm Image
lol, my drug dealer guy used to hang at the hawk and see Coke to frat boys.

One night he had some k. And told them so. He said, ok frat boys don’t go off the rails snorting line after line of this like it’s coke. Cuz it’s not, it’s a downer, and it’ll knock you on your ass. Ok bro yeah whatever.

A couple drinks later he goes back into the bathroom to take a leak, and the frat boys are all passed out on the floor.
Deleted User 902

At least they just passed out and didn't start just freaking out screaming. And I still never saw coke in Lawrence. Saw it in high school and grad school, but seemed to never be around at KU.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I saw coke within a couple of days of moving into Oliver, before classes even started. My 18 year old jaw about hit the floor. And then just a couple of times after that. Actually, it was in pwhitt's brother's house, lol, (but not his brother).
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm I don't think being wasteful is the issue.
definitely not directly. the waste happened largely because the resource wasn’t/isn’t valued appropriately by those for whom it was intended

but isn’t that the root issue with most all wastefulness?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:00 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm I don't think being wasteful is the issue.
definitely not directly. the waste happened largely because the resource wasn’t/isn’t valued appropriately by those for whom it was intended

but isn’t that the root issue with most all wastefulness?
I think the numbers are quite different if people were actually lining up to get it.

I can't fault the handling, and of course accidents happen. But still, the number is pretty small all things considered. (IT'S LESS THAN 1% AND YOU ARE FOCUSING ON THE NEGATIVE! am i doing this right?)