5 pretty quick and easy questions for the second day of September

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 887

5 pretty quick and easy questions for the second day of September

Post by Deleted User 887 »

1. Do you plan to go anywhere special during the Labor Day weekend and if so, please share where - if you choose to.

2. You are in Lawrence Kansas for a weekend. You can choose only one of the following activities to do and that's the only activity you can do while you're in Lawrence other than to eat, drink, shop, sleep.
Which do you choose?
a. Take a tour of David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium
b. Attend a KU Women's Volleyball game/match
c. Swim in Clinton Lake
d. Spend 90 minutes in the University of Kansas Natural History Museum
e. Sit in the Jayhawker Towers Apartments parking lot on a lawn chair for 60 minutes
f. Take a 45 minute tour of Haskell Indian Nations University
g. Spend 90 minutes in the Prairie Park Nature Center

3. What is the title of a good book you have read other than The Bible?

4. I don't want you to elaborate unless you choose to but have you ever been a victim of what you and/or the police considered to be a violent crime?

5. If you had to change your name to a day of the week (for example - Tuesday), a month of the year (for example - May) or a country (for example - Sweden), what would you change your name to?
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: 5 pretty quick and easy questions for the second day of September

Post by jhawks99 »

1) No plans to go anywhere
2) D
3) The Bad News Cafe by Hunter S Fatback. (He's a good friend of mine. Everyone should buy a copy from Amazon.)
4) No
5) Greater Mongolia
Broham
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

1. Pursell Farms in Alabama for a wedding....and maybe sneak a round of golf in at Pursell Farms GC, which is a top 3ish course in Alabama.
2. D haven't been there since I was way younger.
3. Floor Burns.
4. No.
5. Afghanistan 😉
Deleted User 887

1. Nope. Next week Glencoe and Highland Park Illinois and then Los Angeles California.
2. e. Seriously. I have done b, c, d and g. a and f don't interest me.
3. Too many to choose from but I'll go with a recent one at the risk of ridicule. A Promised Land.
4. Yes
5. Jordan
shindig

Post by shindig »

1. No plans, but do have a 4 day weekend. Probably just a cookout with the family.
2. D
3. John Grisham, A Time for Mercy
4. No
5. Greece
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

1. No. I gotta reframe and reroof my back deck overhang and prep for a new concrete patio and deck.

2. Natural history museum

3. Lonesome Dove

4. No

5. Morocco
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1. Colorado for Oktoberfest

2. d. Spend 90 minutes in the University of Kansas Natural History Museum

3. I don't recall book names very well.

4. Yes, assaulted outside a Detroit Tigers game as a teen and robbed at gunpoint in the bus station in downtown St. Louis when I was 20.

5. Turkey
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Actually. I did have an uzi shoved in my mouth. But that was by the military in Colombia....i dont know if that counts for this exercise
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

1 - No, always just stay in the neighborhood. God- (well, work-) willing, I do not intend to be in driving shape.

2 - a

3 - A Short History of Nearly Everything

4 - My now-wife and I were mugged on the way back to my apartment (from P&L) after the Royals won the 2015 World Series.

5 - Jordan, I suppose. Or (BWW) Chad.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am Actually. I did have an uzi shoved in my mouth. But that was by the military in Colombia....i dont know if that counts for this exercise
Eh, wut? Were you in the military or just found yourself in Colombia at the wrong end of an Uzi?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

1. Might go to a Samantha Fish show in steamboat. Or just camp. Or just notta damn thing.
2. Prob Clinton lake. Though I’ve never been to Haskell and that would be interesting
3. “Zen mind, beginner’s mind” by that Suzuki cat. It’ll change your whole perspective on shit, particularly for westerners who grew up on the Bible
4. I was the victim of an attempted strongarm robbery in South Park off Mass st one night, think I’ve shared the story several times…(speaking of Haskell…)
5. Niger
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:22 am
TDub wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 am Actually. I did have an uzi shoved in my mouth. But that was by the military in Colombia....i dont know if that counts for this exercise
Eh, wut? Were you in the military or just found yourself in Colombia at the wrong end of an Uzi?
This was 94. Colombia/America relations weren't great and the American embassy told us not to go but my sister was living there with a family we had previously hosted.

The natives we're fighting the government and blocking roads etc. On the road to the mountain village we were going to was a blockade. We got stopped by the military and they thought we were supplying the natives as Americans were sympathetic to the native cause. We got dragged from the cars at gun point and interrogated thoroughly...all while one of them stuck the barrel of his uzi in our faces and mouths. Luckily family that we were staying with was able to diffuse the situation and get us out of there.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Holy shit
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:55 am
This was 94. Colombia/America relations weren't great and the American embassy told us not to go but my sister was living there with a family we had previously hosted.

The natives we're fighting the government and blocking roads etc. On the road to the mountain village we were going to was a blockade. We got stopped by the military and they thought we were supplying the natives as Americans were sympathetic to the native cause. We got dragged from the cars at gun point and interrogated thoroughly...all while one of them stuck the barrel of his uzi in our faces and mouths. Luckily family that we were staying with was able to diffuse the situation and get us out of there.
Yowsa, that's crazy. I have a former coworker who is from Colombia. He still returns there regularly to visit family and he has shared some similar stories about having to head to other towns where they encountered "checkpoints" that inevitably turned into shakedowns or interrogations. Glad it ended well for you, that's crazy.
Deleted User 887

That's insane! Did you at least get some good cocaine while you were there?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:32 am

That's insane! Did you at least get some good cocaine while you were there?
No ha. I was like 13.

I do remember, however, quite enjoying the prevalent thongs on the beaches. As a kid from Kansas with no internet in existence that was...eye opening....and wonderful.

Columbia's a beautiful country....but dangerous and a whole lot of different thsn Kansas.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Scary stuff, Tdub. Glad you're still around.

We had some big clients in Bogota during the 90s. The owners would have to take different cars to work every day with different drivers and different routes. They still got kidnapped occasionally. They company paid the ransom and they were out the same day. They considered it a cost of doing business.

The company I work for now has a vendor in Bogota, this does not seem to go on anymore.
Broham