21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Deleted User 863 »

It's that some think he shouldn't start or will be passed up by guys probably not as good as him.

It happens every off season. The infatuation with the unknown.

Imo, Braun and Yesufu really aren't battling each other for minutes. At least not directly. One is a wing and one is a small guard. Both will play a lot, assuming Yesufu beats out Dajuan (which is who he is actually battling for minutes).
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Yesufu was great against tournament teams that were keyed on stopping him. I don't think he's the same type of unknown as a freshman.

It's not a knock on Braun. Everything Self said about him I'm sure is true, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a lineup with two super quick guards wouldn't be better. They'll both play a lot of minutes either way, regardless of who starts.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it matters more who finishes, imo
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:05 pm Yesufu was great against tournament teams that were keyed on stopping him. I don't think he's the same type of unknown as a freshman.

It's not a knock on Braun. Everything Self said about him I'm sure is true, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a lineup with two super quick guards wouldn't be better. They'll both play a lot of minutes either way, regardless of who starts.
If those 2 super quick (and small) guards can't defend multiple positions effectively then it's a non issue on a Bill Self coached team. CB is bigger and is a good rebounder. He also has defensive experience is Self's system.

And fwiw we will see plenty of Yesufu and Remy on the court together. Again, assuming Yesufu can beat out Dajuan.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am I don't think anyone outside of ous and mjl thought CB wouldn't be in line to start. Which . . .

But, hopefully, we just have a healthy rotation of heavy: Remy, CB, Yesufu, Och with Harris/Lands splitting the spell minutes. And then DMac, Wilson, Mitch/Clemence.

7 guys are going to get the minutes and then depending on whether you need shooting or ball movement, you choose Lands or Harris. The frosh need to all consider RS's. Cuffe is hurt, anyway.
I would like to see Yesufu over Braun and think there's a decent chance that will happen before the end of the season.

Which is a reasonable take.

As opposed to reading Self's words there as a guarantee that Braun will start (implied by Illy's comment), while also implying that others have definitively said they think Braun will not start, which is not a good take
Just giving you shit. The reality is that the Remy, Yesufu, CB, and Och are going to play a lot of minutes at different positions. We need them all to be good, and I bet they will be.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:40 pm
Mjl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:05 pm Yesufu was great against tournament teams that were keyed on stopping him. I don't think he's the same type of unknown as a freshman.

If those 2 super quick (and small) guards can't defend multiple positions effectively then it's a non issue on a Bill Self coached team. CB is bigger and is a good rebounder. He also has defensive experience is Self's system.

And fwiw we will see plenty of Yesufu and Remy on the court together. Again, assuming Yesufu can beat out Dajuan.
They want Yesufu and Remy to be able to play both 1 and 2. CB both 2 and 3 and even 4. Och just mainly a 3. We're going to see a quick guard lineup and also a lineup with CB and Och, which I bet will be the better shooting lineup.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Carrying on: I also think CB will look good next to two smaller guards playing the 3. Och isn't going to play 40 minutes.

Really, CB would be a very good 4, point-forward at a mid-major. A Doug McDermott role.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This time it’s not me, but the Athletic, suggesting Braun’s spot is in jeopardy.

Cuz we can’t have both of these things:

1. Braun/Och/Jalen all playing yuge minutes

2. The “two guard” lineups the article mentions being so critical to Self’s offense

And especially since Self seemed to recognize it, and go out and get a bunch of small on-the-ball guard types to play just that role. (For real, have we ever had an incoming class be so guard heavy?)

It’s all coach talk though either way. Self’s comments gushing about Braun, and for that matter Jalen too, are the exact same shit he was saying this time last year about Enaroona.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pm It’s all coach talk though either way. Self’s comments gushing about Braun, and for that matter Jalen too, are the exact same shit he was saying this time last year about Enaroona.
Eh not really imo. Totally different situations.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pmCuz we can’t have both of these things:

2. The “two guard” lineups the article mentions being so critical to Self’s offense
That's certainly possible. We'll play multiple sets.

I do think the "10-15 percent" two bigs is bullshit, though. He's been overestimating that percentage for several years now. And we all know that he's not going to suddenly trust Mitch to play 15% of the game next to Dave.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Who’s ready for senior night?!

Remy
Och
Mitch
Cam
Dave

lol maybe but it’ll prob actually be JCL at the wing.

Speaking of, that dood’s getting slept on.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:15 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pmCuz we can’t have both of these things:

That's certainly possible. We'll play multiple sets.

I do think the "10-15 percent" two bigs is bullshit, though. He's been overestimating that percentage for several years now. And we all know that he's not going to suddenly trust Mitch to play 15% of the game next to Dave.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think it's always nice idea in his mind until he tries it and sees what happens when they try to defend the pick and roll.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:28 pm Who’s ready for senior night?!

Remy
Och
Mitch
Cam
Dave

I know our 2008 roster was huge, but I think this is Bill's biggest team here. 18 players on the roster including 7 seniors.

We need a JV team to get guys like Cuffe some game action.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Makes for better practices.

We are winning it all this year.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Which is better?

Team 1:
Harris
Remy
Braun
Wilson
Cam

Bench of KJ and Mitch

Team 2:
Yesufu
Cuffe
JCL
Ochai
DMac

Bench of Pettiford and Clemence. Maybe start Clemence over Cuffe.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Our guard depth is really really good this year.

Remy and Och seem like locks to play big big minutes
Braun is gonna play a lot. probably the favorite to start at the 2, depending on how self rotates I'd bet the few minutes Och is out, Braun is in at the 3

Coleman-lands is a legit seasoned player. He is going to make his case for playing time and really push people. who knows. people are sleeping on him though

Yesefu- was absolutely dominant in the NCAA tournament last year. I could see him beating out Braun for minutes at crunch time or maybe as the starter. I'd pick Braun right now being a damn good player himself and having more experience in the system. But Yesefu is a perfect combo guard player. tough, strong, quick, can shoot, penetrate, create for others, pick and roll, finish inside. He reminded me a ton of Kyle Lowry. Our best offense is likely with him and Remy playing together

Dajuan - Crazy to think he is going to have to fight for all the minutes he earns. He's technically just a freshman though. I love his game. potential to be a really good defender. unselfish. true point guard. Keep working on your jumpshot, make the most of your minutes, I pray this kid sticks around and finishes his career at KU. Remy will be gone and there will be a lot of playing time next year.

Kyle cuff - crazy athletic. good prospect. reminds me of Elijah Johnson... and like EJ probably not going to play as a freshman.

Bobby Pettiford jr - also looks like a good long term prospect. I think he commited before Yesefu, Remy, and Coleman-Lands did (and maybe before cuff reclassified). doesnt seem like there is any minutes for him this year. Seems like he might be one of those guys that gets lost in the shuffle and transfers. if he sticks it out he could eventually be a good guard here. good practice body and competition for now
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:37 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:28 pm Who’s ready for senior night?!

Remy
Och
Mitch
Cam
Dave

I know our 2008 roster was huge, but I think this is Bill's biggest team here. 18 players on the roster including 7 seniors.

We need a JV team to get guys like Cuffe some game action.
Yeah cuffe is crazy athletic. He reminds me of EJ. not really a point guard but a guard with ball skills, OK shot (needs refined) but wants to dunk everything and can jump over the moon. Hopefully he sticks around a few years. Did somebody say he is hurt right now?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:59 am It's that some think he shouldn't start or will be passed up by guys probably not as good as him.

It happens every off season. The infatuation with the unknown.

Imo, Braun and Yesufu really aren't battling each other for minutes. At least not directly. One is a wing and one is a small guard. Both will play a lot, assuming Yesufu beats out Dajuan (which is who he is actually battling for minutes).
I think they are, in a way. But that has as much to do with play style and match ups as it has to do with who is the better player of the 2. Braun is a bigger player whos more of a wing. Yesufu is a better playmaker and combo guard. both are honestly pretty tough strong guards. Not sure if either of them feels the need to be the starter, but both will be happy with their minutes
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Our big man rotation I cant make sense of. at least the bench rotation. weird but promising peices.

McCormack - obviously going to play as much as possible. Fouls and fatigue will be the only thing limiting his minutes. I think he's ready for a really big year for us

Jalen - Lets can him a big.. bigass guard. He's a lock to play the 4 and play a lot. modern 4 who can do it all. I think we see a big jump from him and he's poised for a big year too

Mitch - eh lol.. old reliable in a way. Knows whats expected of him, gonna bust his ass. Can he play the 4 next to Mccormack very many minutes. He's gotten stronger every year but just doesn't feel like he's big enough to be a high level center

Cam Martin - who fucking knows. adjusting to Div 1 will be interesting. He can shoot and is very skilled. Looks like a strong tough dude. Is he? can he defend and rebound the way self expects? Hard to say

Clemence - Talented freshman. long and can shoot. The questions are how is his defense, rebounding, toughness. With his shooting does he fit in at the 4? can he guard on the perimeter? freshman bigs usually take time. Good upside tho gives a lot of versality over the next few seasons

KJ Adams - I really like this prospect. To me he seems like jamari 2.0 except with some actually ball skills. athletic versatile forward who seems like the perfect modern big. mobile enough to defend multiple positions. should be able to rebound. he comes in with decent ball handling and some shooting ability for a big. I'm not sure if he is ready yet or excels at anything, but has potential in a lot of areas. good work ethic/motor too. also a freshan, who the hell knows

Mitch, Cam, Zach, and KJ are all fighting for those minutes. fun practices ahead. hard to pick who is the favorites to play off the bench from this group. Each of them bring different things to the table
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Unless it’s mop up or some feel good senior night bullshit, I expect more Jalen than Mitch at the 5.

Which is mostly a comment on Cam’s jumper and/or ink.