21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by pdub »

Remy will start.
I think there will be games where Braun doesn't.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 am Is there any merit to the thought of making Och more of a “3” a la junior Selden?
Isn't that sort of what he is?

Our 2 and 3 and 4 (with Jalen) are essentially interchangeable on offense. Defense is where they're somewhat different.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:25 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:09 am Easy year to predict the starting 5 imo.
Yeah. I'm not falling for Self's nonsense on Harris starting if the season started today.
The article from the Athletic had Bill's quote on it and he said that Harris would start today because he's been here and familiar with the system and because he's not injured (which Remy has a very minor one).

Remy starts every game.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:11 am Remy will start.
I think it's possible CB could be bumped, but only if it's due to Jalen sliding to the 3 and us playing 2 bigs....and i am just not sure any of our young bigs will be good enough to influence that happening.

I do not think Harris or Yesufu will be able to bump CB. The Rebounding Defense and Shooting of CB is too much for the littles to overcome.

Are Remy and Yesufu good at defense?
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 am
The Rebounding Defense and Shooting of CB is too much for the littles to overcome.

Wait, is Braun good at defense?
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I can't imagine us not seeing a good amount of Remy and Yesufu together, unless Yesufu just isn't very good. Getting back to playing sets with two ballhandlers seemed like the entire offseason goal.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:39 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:35 am
The Rebounding Defense and Shooting of CB is too much for the littles to overcome.

Wait, is Braun good at defense?
Just average on the perimeter, but was horrid there as a frosh. Good rebounder and height, but he's not a star on the defensive end outside of understanding assignments and help side.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

I think we end up seeing more of 2 of Remy/Yes/Harris on the court at the same time than all of Jalen/Braun/Och.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not sure I'd bet on with that, the latter 3 are going to see a ton of court time regardless of the sets.

The roster is huge, but it's pretty clearly set up to be another tight rotation--a solid 8. The good thing is that the guys left out will be almost all freshmen.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remy
Och
Braun
Wilson
Mac

Yes
Harris
Cam

Left out: JCL, make a wish, the freshies
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mine is not much different at all:

Remy
Braun
Och
Wilson
Big Mac

Yes
Make-A-Wish
Harris or JCL
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve been operating on the optimistic assumption that Cam was brought in specifically as an upgrade to Mitch.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If it happens, great, makes us better.

Tarik Black is an upgrade. Cam is a flyer.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Cam seems like he'll have a game or 2 where he just goes ballistic from deep but otherwise hardly plays.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:40 am Cam seems like he'll have a game or 2 where he just goes ballistic from deep but otherwise hardly plays.
The only weakness this team may have is that it's not likely to be an offensive juggernaut, although Remy should help out dry spells better than Garrett.

Can't wait until Cam hits like 3 or 4 3's against Directional Dakota in November and fans are clamoring for Self to put Cam in during a February game against Baylor/UT.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:39 am I can't imagine us not seeing a good amount of Remy and Yesufu together, unless Yesufu just isn't very good. Getting back to playing sets with two ballhandlers seemed like the entire offseason goal.
Together? Sure. Probably 10min+ per game is a reasonable estimation? I was just talking about starting.

But this is assuming Yesufu beats out Harris....which apparently isn't a guarantee based on Self's comments. You'd have to imagine 1 of those 3 will be left out of the rotation, right?

Maybe that's the real tell from Self's recent comment....that Harris is comfortably ahead of Yesufu?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

I guess Cam is a flyer, and may not contribute more than a few good minutes in a couple games, or at all.

But maybe the fact I’m optimistic about a D2 transfer is more so a testament to my confidence in whether Mitch is a capable of playing legit minutes as a high-major D1 center.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:39 am I can't imagine us not seeing a good amount of Remy and Yesufu together, unless Yesufu just isn't very good. Getting back to playing sets with two ballhandlers seemed like the entire offseason goal.
Together? Sure. Probably 10min+ per game is a reasonable estimation? I was just talking about starting.

But this is assuming Yesufu beats out Harris....which apparently isn't a guarantee based on Self's comments. You'd have to imagine 1 of those 3 will be left out of the rotation, right?

Maybe that's the real tell from Self's recent comment....that Harris is comfortably ahead of Yesufu?
Self's comment all had to do with experience in the system in frickin' September. It's a comment on getting Martin and Yesufu familiarized as well as Martin's injury.

Yesufu put up like 25 points against USC and Harris looks like a mid-major player and athlete.

Now that said, you don't need to leave any of Martin/Yesufu/Harris out of the rotation.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Oh I think Mitch is ass too. I think there's a good chance we see Jalen at 5 for more minutes per game than Cam or Mitch. But I could see situationally where Mitch and Cam have to play -- slow start, Dave foul trouble, etc.

Self has shown more willingness of late to do those funky lineups where you would see Jalen at the 5. In that scenario, it alleviates the log jam we have elsewhere in the lineup, particularly 1-3. Remy, Yes, Braun, OA, and Jalen would be tough for anyone to exploit unless they have an elite big.

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:56 am Yeah.

I guess Cam is a flyer, and may not contribute more than a few good minutes in a couple games, or at all.

But maybe the fact I’m optimistic about a D2 transfer is more so a testament to my confidence in whether Mitch is a capable of playing legit minutes as a high-major D1 center.
I think Mitch was average in his role last season, and that's probably all we need given how small of a role it is.

If I were to want more out of the role, it would actually be better one-on-one defense and fiercer rebounding.

If someone can give us more, great, but it doesn't look like that guy is on the roster.