21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
hasbeen

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:05 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:01 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:59 pm Jalen is not big/strong enough to be a 5 imo...that's a losing strategy for us. Especially defensively. It's also not the position he wants to play and if he has any pro aspirations i am guessing he'd like to get a chance to play a more natural position as a wing/stretch 4.
But that’s the thing!

Mitch isn’t big or strong enough to play the 5 either.

And Cam is TBD.

With Jalen at the 5, there’s at least the potential to exploit a mismatch
They're both significantly bigger and stronger than Jalen.
Jalen is longer than both and gives us much more on offense from the 5 than either of them. Also, this isn't 1994 -- we don't have to trot out the biggest players anymore just because.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Then why did Jalen get minutes at the 5 last year despite Mitch being available?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Jalen ain't Giannis guys. We give up a ton on defense and with rebounding with him at the 5.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What Jalen lacks in size at the 5, is potentially offset by the fact he can operate from the outside in
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm Then why did Jalen get minutes at the 5 last year despite Mitch being available?
Because we didn't have a PG and had to try gimmicky shit because we were getting beat a lot and Dave was sucking?
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm Jalen ain't Giannis guys. We give up a ton on defense and with rebounding with him at the 5.
No one said he was. You're the one on God's internet calling for Cam fucking Martin to get significant PT. Jalen is a better player than him at every single position, including at the 5 defensively.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't buy that Cam is stronger than Jalen.

Really, not even Mitch for that matter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Jalen’s our best rebounder - somehow by a margin.

Prob better, not worse, on the boreds than Mitch, even at the 5
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sorry, Illy is right.
Jalen got worked even harder than Mitch when having to guard actual bigs.
And I know small ball is the rage but most teams we'll go against will still have a big guy that Jalen will not be able to defend on the block.

I'd give Mitch, if he was a video game character, a score of 61 for interior defense.
You couldn't give Jalen more than a 45.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But how many teams have a big who can check Jalen on the perimeter?

That’s something you don’t get with Mitch

And on a lose ball after a missed shit, who you have more confidence in securing the bored?
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:12 pm Sorry, Illy is right.
And I know small ball is the rage but most teams we'll go against will still have a big guy that Jalen will not be able to defend on the block.

I'd give Mitch, if he was a video game character, a score of 61 for interior defense.
Yeah, what you and Illy can't comprehend is that Jalen could get a 30 interior defense rating and Mitch a 61 and it's still a no brainer. The offensive rating for Jalen, especially if a big is guarding him, would likely be in the 90s whereas Mitch's would be in the low teens. That's a tradeoff I'd make and I imagine it's a tradeoff most people who live on this planet and watch modern day basketball would take.

- lobser
Deleted User 863

If Jalen were Markieff Morris then he'd be an ideal small ball 5.

Small ball does not mean playing a 3 at the 5. Unless you're the Houston Rockets and that didn't even work out very well for them.

Jalen can be a great stretch 4 in college. He can't be a good 5. And i can't imagine he wants to spend 10 of his 33mpg at the 5. It's a losing strategy and last year proved it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not like either are ideal, and again, we are talking about Dave's spell, the last part of the rotation.

Mitch probably has Jalen on standing reach? Better weakside shot blocker. A lot more experienced guarding bigs. But leaves his man too much and not a good rebounder.

Jalen better rebounder, would be just as strong if he learns technique. A lot of bigs can score right over him, though. Plus, it's going to wear him down.

I definitely lean on just playing Mitch.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But then you loose any semblance of post scoring which, if there is some threat of post scoring, opens up on the perimeter.

Mitch, vs your unranked teams, has shown he can threaten some ( enough for a backup ) in the post.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm But then you loose any semblance of post scoring which, if there is some threat of post scoring, opens up on the perimeter.

Mitch, vs your unranked teams, has shown he can threaten some ( enough for a backup ) in the post.
No.

- lobser
Deleted User 863

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah, what you and Illy can't comprehend is that Jalen could get a 30 interior defense rating and Mitch a 61 and it's still a no brainer. The offensive rating for Jalen, especially if a big is guarding him, would likely be in the 90s whereas Mitch's would be in the low teens. That's a tradeoff I'd make and I imagine it's a tradeoff most people who live on this planet and watch modern day basketball would take.
Jalen at the 5 means 5 guys standing around the perimeter. No interior presence. No easy baskets. No rebounding.....and that's just on offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm But then you loose any semblance of post scoring which, if there is some threat of post scoring, opens up on the perimeter.

No.
Yes.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I can't wait for next March or April when we're getting absolutely torched by a stretch 5 in the closing minutes. I'll just assume Illy, pdub, and Crimson will be posting "but interior defense..." and I'll have a brain injury.

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm
hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Jalen at the 5 means 5 guys standing around the perimeter. No interior presence. No easy baskets. No rebounding.....and that's just on offense.
No, that isn't what it means. It would be a lot of dribble drive and kick since Mitch's lifeless body isn't clogging the paint.

Also, you've been calling for Cam Martin to play center after Dave. What do you think the offense looks like when he plays? He does not play on the low block. This information is available to you on the internet. It'll be five perimeter guys whether it's Cam or Jalen, and at least Jalen is a threat to take it off the bounce.

I miss 90s basketball too but it's gone forever.
Last edited by hasbeen on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- lobser
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:14 pm But how many teams have a big who can check Jalen on the perimeter?

That’s something you don’t get with Mitch

And on a lose ball after a missed shit, who you have more confidence in securing the bored?
You act like we are going to play iso ball thru Jalen and get him on an island with the other teams lone big every possession to take 1 on 1 off the dribble....i don't think that's realistic. I also don't think that plays to our teams stengths. Or Jalens strengths.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.