21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by pdub »

Why would you want a stretch 5 to torch us in March or April?
Don't you want KU to win?
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 pm Why would you want a stretch 5 to torch us in March or April?
Don't you want KU to win?
It's not really a want, it's more an acknowledgment of the last like 20 years of KU basketball.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:21 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm
hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah, what you and Illy can't comprehend is that Jalen could get a 30 interior defense rating and Mitch a 61 and it's still a no brainer. The offensive rating for Jalen, especially if a big is guarding him, would likely be in the 90s whereas Mitch's would be in the low teens. That's a tradeoff I'd make and I imagine it's a tradeoff most people who live on this planet and watch modern day basketball would take.
Jalen at the 5 means 5 guys standing around the perimeter. No interior presence. No easy baskets. No rebounding.....and that's just on offense.
No, that isn't what it means. It would be a lot of dribble drive and kick since Mitch's lifeless body isn't clogging the paint.

Also, you've been calling for Cam Martin to play center after Dave. What do you think the offense looks like when he plays? He does not play on the low block. This information is available to you on the internet. It'll be five perimeter guys whether it's Cam or Jalen, and at least Jalen is a threat to take it off the bounce.

I miss 90s basketball too but it's gone forever.
Cam appears to be a good passer. He will absolutely play on the block offensively when he's at the 5 when Dave is out. Even if he isn't a main scoring option, the ball moving side to side and inside to out is how space and driving lanes are created. He isn't just going to stand outside and shoot 3s (unless we are playing him with DMac).
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:20 pm I can't wait for next March or April when we're getting absolutely torched by a stretch 5 in the closing minutes. I'll just assume Illy, pdub, and Crimson will be posting "but interior defense..." and I'll have a brain injury.
Nah, I've been on the small ball thing for quite awhile. Nova '18 did it for me on having to play a single big. And last year was pretty damn frustrating when Bill too often refused to put Jalen at the 5.

We'll need Jalen at the 5 in spots. We're going to also need Mitch to spell Dave throughout the year. I just think that Dave won't have nearly as poor of a first half as he had last season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

5 guys standing around the perimeter could be a good thing though if at least two of them can do things off the bounce.

Contrast that with 4 guys around the perimeter trying to force feed the post - even when it’s Mitch.

And I know it’s the last part of the rotation, but again, backup big is prob the most important backup. It’s not like Dave is good for 40 minutes a night like we’ve done with point guards. He’s not even to 30 a night. And even then, he’s as prone to inconsistency as any big we’ve had.

In that reserve role I still can’t help but wish we had something lined up better than “just try not to get torched”
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:24 pm
hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:21 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Jalen at the 5 means 5 guys standing around the perimeter. No interior presence. No easy baskets. No rebounding.....and that's just on offense.
No, that isn't what it means. It would be a lot of dribble drive and kick since Mitch's lifeless body isn't clogging the paint.

Also, you've been calling for Cam Martin to play center after Dave. What do you think the offense looks like when he plays? He does not play on the low block. This information is available to you on the internet. It'll be five perimeter guys whether it's Cam or Jalen, and at least Jalen is a threat to take it off the bounce.

I miss 90s basketball too but it's gone forever.
Cam appears to be a good passer. He will absolutely play on the block offensively when he's at the 5 when Dave is out. Even if he isn't a main scoring option, the ball moving side to side and inside to out is how space and driving lanes are created.
Inside to out works when the defense worries you will score inside. There is not a high-level team on the planet worried about what a 6'9" shooter is going to do on the low block.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You mean the 20 years where we have the most NCAA tournament wins of any program?
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:26 pm You mean the 20 years where we have the most NCAA tournament wins of any program?
Yes, including many crucial moments where a big steps outside and has career nights against us. Do you watch the games or do you just post online?

- lobser
Deleted User 863

Guess we will see...

The wait is almost over!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Lol this is fun. Glad we’re talking hoops. Late night’s tomorrow woo!

And much of this may be moot, considering I think we’re due for a system overhaul of sorts. We might even have guard play again! But I def think Self aspires to more than force feeding a double teamed post while we slow it down and keep game scores in the 50s
Deleted User 863

Jalen Wilson is a small forward guys.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I will bet 50 kcrim bucks that Mitch or Cam will see more minutes per game at the 5 than Jalen.
Regarding 18, Spellman, the forward who started for Nova, has 35 pounds on Jalen.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:28 pm Jalen Wilson is a small forward guys.
He's not a college small forward guy.

- lobser
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:30 pm I will bet 50 kcrim bucks that Mitch or Cam will see more minutes per game at the 5.
Are you going to track it every game? I'll make that bet. It'll make the early season grind more fun to follow.

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:25 pmAnd I know it’s the last part of the rotation, but again, backup big is prob the most important backup.
I mean, the statement is subjective, but this team doesn't need much at all out of its backup big. Of course, we will always take gravy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
But maybe some data set out there will have it.
Or gutter can step up to the plate.
Deleted User 863

We aren't winning a national title if Jalen Wilson has to play minutes at the 5 with this roster. Last year we were in disarray.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:33 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:25 pmAnd I know it’s the last part of the rotation, but again, backup big is prob the most important backup.
I mean, the statement is subjective, but this team doesn't need much at all out of its backup big. Of course, we will always take gravy.
Just some defense and rebounding. Set screens. Move the ball. Our best players are guards and wings + Dave.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:27 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:26 pm You mean the 20 years where we have the most NCAA tournament wins of any program?
Yes, including many crucial moments where a big steps outside and has career nights against us. Do you watch the games or do you just post online?
A KJ Adams would be great for this.

Clemence looks ahead of many of our past freshmen, but not sure that's going to be enough for this squad.

We also said no to that Sydney Curry guy that looked like he was pretty athletic.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It still begs the question:

If Mitch is a viable backup, then why did Jalen spend any minutes at the 5 at all?

Cuz this time last year, anyone suggesting Jalen spend a single possession at the center would be dismissed as well