Coffee talk.
shindig

Re: Lower back pain

Post by shindig »

CnB beat me to it, he's on a roll...lol
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:09 am CnB beat me to it.

It can also help to roll your back up and down on one of those yoga rollers. Or massage it with one of those hooks.

we’ve got both. the roller is great for alignment, if you do it right
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:52 am
shindig wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:55 am Anybody get lower back pain, sometimes not even knowing what is causing it? I jog on my treadmill 3-4 times a week, but usually only run 2.0-2.5 miles at a time. I also sit at a desk a lot (like a lot of us probably), so I bought a memory foam lumbar support for my chair. I've had a few people tell me to walk toe to heel to help alleviate the pressure on your sciatic nerve, but that just doesn't seem natural to me. I generally jog/walk heel to toe.

Maybe I need arch supports? I don't know. I've been focusing on sitting at my desk more upright instead of slouching, but that is also a bad habit to stop.

Any other advice. It's not chronic, but annoying sometimes. I have my heating pad on high right now and that seems to help. Or maybe I'm just getting old and this is how it is...lol.
i used to get hip and lower back pain. i’m at a desk or lab bench 95% of my work day, and have been for the past 5+ years

a new, nice mattress took care of it. sealy tempurpedic
I sleep on my side or stomach, can never fall asleep on my back, unless I'm watching a movie on the sofa...lol. I bought a nectar mattress a few years ago and it's pretty firm, much better than my old mattress. Good pillows are also hard to find. They always seem too soft or too firm and then I end up with a kink in my neck.
Last edited by shindig on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I first learned yoga from this book I got at the public library.

But yea, there’s all sorts of resources out there
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:09 am CnB beat me to it.

It can also help to roll your back up and down on one of those yoga rollers. Or massage it with one of those hooks.

we’ve got both. the roller is great for alignment, if you do it right
Yea. And in a pinch, I’ve rolled my back on a fly rod tube before. Nice little detensioner in the backcountry after a long day fishing.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:16 am yoga tho....nope get out.
If you find the right class or video, it is an excellent workout and great way to gain strength and flexibility. Many have stuff that is for more experienced users. I like ones where they always have an easy version, a medium version and a hard version.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:46 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:44 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:36 am I did yoga one time. I was in college and did it as a part of a health class. At that point, I was an athlete for like 12 years. I was never as sore as I was the first couple of days after that yoga class. My goodness.

I also struggle with some back pain, it's attributed to an accident I had when I was a teenager that threw my hips out of whack a bit. Every once in a while they go a bit crooked and the chiropractor helps with that.

But I do want to try yoga again. I do think it would be beneficial for my overall health. According to multiple health websites that know their stuff, one of yoga's most important benefits is that it helps with back pain. Also helps with arthritis symptoms and heart health.
The yoga that most people do at home, myself included, is pretty much glorified stretching. New poses you didn't learn playing team sports in 90's/00's will stretch and extend areas you didn't know existed. Significantly helps your movement, exercise-included pain/soreness, and prevents injury. We've learned a lot over the years, which is why the majority of athletes do it now, and you won't find a home workout program that won't have it in its schedule.

And that's not getting into all the other physical and mental health benefits a crunchy hippie instructor will tell you about. And, yeah, it can be a workout in and of itself.
I was DRIPPING in sweat with that and like I said, I was sore. And I was a 19 year old college football player at a small college. It was brutal.
Guessing that you, like me, assumed it was about strength. You see the girl next to you/on a video standing on her head and you're like, I've got this, and then overuse all the muscles that you use for sports for an hour.
Deleted User 89

shindig wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:56 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:52 am
shindig wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:55 am Anybody get lower back pain, sometimes not even knowing what is causing it? I jog on my treadmill 3-4 times a week, but usually only run 2.0-2.5 miles at a time. I also sit at a desk a lot (like a lot of us probably), so I bought a memory foam lumbar support for my chair. I've had a few people tell me to walk toe to heel to help alleviate the pressure on your sciatic nerve, but that just doesn't seem natural to me. I generally jog/walk heel to toe.

Maybe I need arch supports? I don't know. I've been focusing on sitting at my desk more upright instead of slouching, but that is also a bad habit to stop.

Any other advice. It's not chronic, but annoying sometimes. I have my heating pad on high right now and that seems to help. Or maybe I'm just getting old and this is how it is...lol.
i used to get hip and lower back pain. i’m at a desk or lab bench 95% of my work day, and have been for the past 5+ years

a new, nice mattress took care of it. sealy tempurpedic
I sleep on my side or stomach, can never fall asleep on my back, unless I'm watching a movie on the sofa...lol. I bought a nectar mattress a few years ago and it's pretty firm, much better than my old mattress. Good pillows are also hard to find. They always seem too soft or too firm and then I end up with a kink in my neck.
i’m a side sleeper, but only because of snoring when on my back

we tried a bunch of different “memory foam“ options, including either a Casper or Nectar (can’t remember which)

the sealy was 3x the cost, but is the most comfortable mattress i’ve ever owned (and maybe the nicest i’ve ever slept on)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I strongly believe tension leads to lots of back pain.
Yoga/breathing exercises release tension, promote blood flow.
Figuring out your stresses and dealing with them also will help.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good point.

On that note, I’ll also recommend the sacred and ancient yogi practice of bong rips before each session.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think you all talked me into it. I think I'm going to stream some youtube videos to my TV and do some yoga at home.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:04 am I strongly believe tension leads to lots of back pain.
Good point. I probably do stress about "just stuff" too much and then I get irritable. I think pressures of work, paying bills, paying the mortgage, fixing up my house, cleaning, mowing, etc. all gets to me over time. It seems my weekends are mostly filled with work around the house, which to some is a de-stressor, but for me it sometimes turns into an overwhelming need to always get things done. I'm sure many can relate.
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:17 am Good point.

On that note, I’ll also recommend the sacred and ancient yogi practice of bong rips before each session.
lol. Last time I smoked a bong I pretty much passed out and this was 20 years ago.
Deleted User 89

shindig wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:21 am
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:04 am I strongly believe tension leads to lots of back pain.
Good point. I probably do stress about "just stuff" too much and then I get irritable. I think pressures of work, paying bills, paying the mortgage, fixing up my house, cleaning, mowing, etc. all gets to me over time. It seems my weekends are mostly filled with work around the house, which to some is a de-stressor, but for me it sometimes turns into an overwhelming need to always get things done. I'm sure many can relate.
sucks being an adult, doesn’t it?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 am I think you all talked me into it. I think I'm going to stream some youtube videos to my TV and do some yoga at home.
When I am good about working out 5+/week, many mornings I will just YouTube search: 5 minute morning (hip, leg, etc) stretch or yoga. Dozens of videos pop up. Even that makes the mornings at the desk so much better.

I think a lot of people think there's a commitment of 3-5 hours of yoga classes at a studio a week and it's just too much for most people.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah I do some resistance band exercises now. Will work yoga in with that.

Maybe a couple of times a week for 20 minutes or so.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:24 am
shindig wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:21 am
sucks being an adult, doesn’t it?
Yeah, it can be. I mean, I just want to win the lottery and everything would be so much better, I could hire everything out..lol. But even that can be stressful, like the guy I paid $800 to 8 weeks ago for some tuck pointing on my house and some of it is already breaking down. I should have done it myself because people half ass things all the time. I've called them back and he hasn't returned my call. Uggh....stress.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiropractors are worthless quacks too. The only thing that fixes my back and knees is to get up and get moving and push through it. Over the first hour or so of working it usually eases up and works itself out.....until I sit down. rinse and repeat
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

On average about 2 times a year I pinch a nerve in my lower back, then I have to walk around stiff as a board for 3-4 days... Getting old sucks.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I bought a reverse hyperextension machine and my back pain has mostly gone away.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.