Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: ancestry

Post by pdub »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

In all seriousness, if anyone on this board ever wants some genealogy research done, I would be happy to do it, obviously at no charge. We have a full ancestry.com pay account and are always looking for new projects to research. We also have a nice Family Tree Maker program that can generate some cool reports and family trees if you want. You can message me with details if you are interested.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:42 am In all seriousness, if anyone on this board ever wants some genealogy research done, I would be happy to do it, obviously at no charge. We have a full ancestry.com pay account and are always looking for new projects to research. We also have a nice Family Tree Maker program that can generate some cool reports and family trees if you want. You can message me with details if you are interested.
my pops paid for 3 or 4 months on Ancestry.com. it gave him a good starting point, but once he learned how to navigate the library and track down historical census records, he found that he was discovering things that he eventually was alerted to by Ancestry.com with those little leaves.

he has since cancelled his subscription and is now solely using the library and general internet searches.

one of the difficulties that we have both found us in the spelling of names in census records. it adds a bit of an unknown, but you can usually corroborate inferences by looking at dates (birthdates, ages, etc.). but, such inconsistencies still make me feel like those details need to be taken with a grain of salt.

and 99, one of the most fascinating parts of my history stems from “orphans” in Tenn., one of which was apparently 3/4 native (unknown tribe), but the orphanage burned down and with it all the relevant records. my pops is still sleuthing down that road, but i’m not very confident that he’ll turn up much, unfortunately
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It's fascinating to me just how unimportant dates and states were back in the 1800s. Few people were consistent with their DOB, what state they or their parents were born in, even with the name they provided. And the spelling of some names is insanely varied sometimes. We've had lots of fun untangling census records and trying to decipher what was written down. They weren't designed for ancestral research but are now used as such so it can be quite the puzzle.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:48 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:42 am In all seriousness, if anyone on this board ever wants some genealogy research done, I would be happy to do it, obviously at no charge. We have a full ancestry.com pay account and are always looking for new projects to research. We also have a nice Family Tree Maker program that can generate some cool reports and family trees if you want. You can message me with details if you are interested.
my pops paid for 3 or 4 months on Ancestry.com. it gave him a good starting point, but once he learned how to navigate the library and track down historical census records, he found that he was discovering things that he eventually was alerted to by Ancestry.com with those little leaves.

he has since cancelled his subscription and is now solely using the library and general internet searches.

one of the difficulties that we have both found us in the spelling of names in census records. it adds a bit of an unknown, but you can usually corroborate inferences by looking at dates (birthdates, ages, etc.). but, such inconsistencies still make me feel like those details need to be taken with a grain of salt.

and 99, one of the most fascinating parts of my history stems from “orphans” in Tenn., one of which was apparently 3/4 native (unknown tribe), but the orphanage burned down and with it all the relevant records. my pops is still sleuthing down that road, but i’m not very confident that he’ll turn up much, unfortunately
Tennessee is a huge challenge because of the number of buildings and court houses that were burned during the Civil War. Some counties have a lot, others right next door may be a black hole of info.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

How does it work for people who were adopted?
I'm curious about my birth parents and family but am more interested in my family that adopted me.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:14 pm How does it work for people who were adopted?
I'm curious about my birth parents and family but am more interested in my family that adopted me.
Just get me names of someone who was alive in the 1940 census, birth parents or adopted parents, and we're good to go. Message me and I can take a look. I need a new project to distract me from football.
Deleted User 89

lmk what results you get from searching “Gutter’s grandma” on Ancestry.com
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:07 pm lmk what results you get from searching “Gutter’s grandma” on Ancestry.com
I had a coworker who took a week off when his Mom died. I found her obit and built a little family tree file for him and ended up tracking down almost everyone four generations back and several people back to the Revolution. Found some realy interesting info that he had always wondered about but didn't get around to asking his parents about. I built him a nice report, one for his Mom's side and one for his father who had passed away the previous year. He enjoyed it immensely. It was fun.
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:27 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:07 pm lmk what results you get from searching “Gutter’s grandma” on Ancestry.com
I had a coworker who took a week off when his Mom died. I found her obit and built a little family tree file for him and ended up tracking down almost everyone four generations back and several people back to the Revolution. Found some realy interesting info that he had always wondered about but didn't get around to asking his parents about. I built him a nice report, one for his Mom's side and one for his father who had passed away the previous year. He enjoyed it immensely. It was fun.
i think it’s a blast, personally

i particularly find it fascinating when ancestors pop up that held similar occupations, or at least apparently had a similar aptitude to myself

then there’s the obvious intrigue of people like a Scottish ancestor who beheaded his brother for messing around with his wife

my pops has a 2” 3-ring binder with everything he’s uncovered. at some point i’d like to put most of it into some sort of navigable multimedia file...something like prezi, where nodes/leaves/branches can be zoomed in on (or just selected) to reveal details
Deleted User 89

another in my line

Anne Scott, 1st Duchess of Buccleuch https://g.co/kgs/6jS6SZ
HotspringJhawk

Post by HotspringJhawk »

Crazy how the research can sink time.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:09 pm another in my line

Anne Scott, 1st Duchess of Buccleuch https://g.co/kgs/6jS6SZ
The pure volume of rebellions, silly titles, illegitimate heirs, and other craziness back in those days is hilarious.

"On 20 April 1663, the twelve-year-old Anne married the fourteen-year-old James Crofts, 1st Duke of Monmouth, the oldest illegitimate son of Charles II (eldest surviving son of Charles I), by his mistress, Lucy Walter."

"Her husband, the Duke of Monmouth and Buccleuch, was attained and executed for high treason on 15 July 1685 following the failure of Monmouth's Rebellion, in which he had attempted to seize the English throne and overthrow James II (the younger brother of his father, who became King of England, Scotland, and Ireland in February 1685 following the death of Charles II)."

So the guy she married when she was 12 and he was 14, who was an illegitimate son of the King of England, tried to overthrow the next English King, who was his uncle, but failed and was executed so she had to remarry some other high ranking politician (yet another Cornwallis). Dizzying but hilarious.
Deleted User 89

right?

where’s illy with a “can’t make this shit up”?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:14 am right?

where’s illy with a “can’t make this shit up”?
👋