21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

In a bored filled with hot takes, that’s as spicy as any of them.

I hope you’re right.

ETA re: Braun.

Re: JCL, yeah maybe basketball isn’t the only reason he came to KU, but for now any other reason is ancillary
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

JCL absolutely came here because of basketball.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:46 am I did not watch a single minute of Drake basketball, but I think it's very understandable why everyone except ousdahl has CB ahead of Yesufu in the rotation.
I do too, CB has more experience in Self's system.

The thing I take issue with is Illy saying CB is definitively a better basketball player, and that I disagree with, especially the certainty.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am
Mjl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:50 am
Hopefully Self has.

I've only watched him play at Drake where he needed 10 shots a game to average 12pts per game.

Being good at Drake doesn't always translate to being good at Kansas. And for the record i think he will be good at KU. I just don't think at this point it is even remotely realistic to say he's better than Braun. Especially if (according to Self) he can't even beat out Harris (who he is actually battling for minutes).
You're talking about the quote where he also was saying Harris is ahead of Remy?

And did you actually ever watch him at Drake? Most of your comments would indicate you didn't.
I watched 1 game of him at Drake....the USC game. Probably the only game any of the rest of watched too. Sorry, i don't exactly seek out Drake basketball games to watch because they suck and there are likely numerous better games (and other stuff) to watch on any given game night for them.

And yes, the same quote where he said Harris is ahead of Remy....whether Harris is truly ahead of Remy or not remains to be seen, but all indications are that Harris is absolutely ahead of Yesufu.
Ok, so you barely watched him but know with certainty that he sucks.

Drake sucked? They were ranked and undefeated before two of their three best players got injured.

And you admit at least that you're basing the Harris-Yesufu thing on a meaningless comment, you just seem to, rather than acknowledge that, take from it only exactly what you want. Typical of you. It's just about trying to win an argument, no matter how intentionally misleading you need to be.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Yesufu is better at basketball at this level than CB is right now, then we got a hell of a player.

I think what is likely is that there is probably the potential there. But, that lack of size worries me without him becoming a great jump shooter off the bounce. And, of course, we just don't quite know what we have with him until we see it here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Braun is a known commodity.

And def a good player, no matter what illy and Qusdahl think.

If Yes is really good enough to take minutes from him, that’s just gravy.

But it’s also likely Yes earns minutes alongside Braun too. They don’t play the exact same postioin
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 am If Yesufu is better at basketball at this level than CB is right now, then we got a hell of a player.

I think what is likely is that there is probably the potential there. But, that lack of size worries me without him becoming a great jump shooter off the bounce. And, of course, we just don't quite know what we have with him until we see it here.
No arguments from me on that
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am Braun is a known commodity.

But it’s also likely Yes earns minutes alongside Braun too. They don’t play the exact same postioin
or the exact same position
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, exactly!

At the end of the day, they’re both Jawhawks.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am Braun is a known commodity.

They aren't the same position, but personally I'd prefer to see two small quick guys out there together at all times. Like I said before, any two of Yesufu/Martin/Harris out there with any two of Ochai/Wilson/Braun/JCL.

But that would mean both Braun and JCL coming off the bench.

My guess is that is what we're going to be doing by midway through conference season if not sooner, but I wouldn't be shocked if that's not the case either.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

I’d imagine the starters are pretty much the same as last year, with Remy at pg instead of Garrett, to start the season.

Then, once winter break and conference play rolls around, between that January lull we’re prone to and other guys emerging, we might see some lineup or rotation tweaks around then.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Really don't understand the concern about the size of our 2 guard. If they're creative around the rim it doesn't matter. Braun is big and not creative around the rim. I'd much prefer the former.

No clue if Yes is creative around the rim, just saying if he is then that's far, far more important than him being a few inches taller.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We'll have more than a dozen different combinations of players on the court together through the first month as the coaching staff looks to see who works well together in certain scenarios. It will be fun to see how it plays out and who ends up being the guy that is the best at each unique need.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:43 pm Really don't understand the concern about the size of our 2 guard. If they're creative around the rim it doesn't matter. Braun is big and not creative around the rim. I'd much prefer the former.

No clue if Yes is creative around the rim, just saying if he is then that's far, far more important than him being a few inches taller.
can be. Can't teach size on Defense tho as far as being in the way, disrupting passing lanes and challenging shots
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We did pretty well with Frank and Vonte.
They both made it on 1st team B12 defense in 16.
Frank's smaller than Yes. Remy is slightly smaller than Vonte.

That year we finished 3rd overall in AdjD.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

true
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and last year we had the biggest lineup 1-5 we’ve ever fielded, and weren’t exactly a defensive juggernaut
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m trying to think of how often we’ve gotten burned cuz we weren’t defensively big enough at a position

with front court? Sure, Mitch got punked over and over just in last tournament

And maybe like putting Face Ass on that big VCU guy at the wing

But at the guard spots? How often is a college roster gonna have some guard who’s so big and also so talented that our 6’ guys consistently get beat?

Tho I suppose another factor is switching on D, but again, never seemed like a huge issue with Frank and Devonte
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:11 pm and last year we had the biggest lineup 1-5 we’ve ever fielded, and weren’t exactly a defensive juggernaut
Wha? Last year's team was elite defensively starting second semester.

It's what got us back on track until COVID set in.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also don't buy that Frank is smaller than Yesufu. Yesufu looks 5'10." Frank was right around there and weighed more. Devonte' much bigger than both those guys and Remy.