Online Degrees

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Online Degrees

Post by TDub »

Anyone ever done one of the online only degree programs? Associates or whatever....I dont even know whats offered really. Alternatively, even looking just to take online classes in various subjects if possible...but figured if I did that I might as well get some sort of certification for the efforts. Specifically considering a forestry/land management, because....yknow...In all my free time....why not?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Re: Online Degrees

Post by Deleted User 89 »

my impression is that there is a much greater offering of online courses now than there used to be (thanks, covid)

not sure if that’s good or bad...i’ve seen complaints that pre-recorded lectures are just being recycled at some 4-year universities, for the same tuition dollars

the wife is about to go back to school, and is likely going to do some sort of hybrid thing, taking as many courses as possible online at the local community college, and then going in-person when required for things like science labs at the state university

there are just some things that, even if offered virtually, i’d think would be much more useful in-person...like forestry type courses (species identifications and things)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:17 pm Anyone ever done one of the online only degree programs? Associates or whatever....I dont even know whats offered really. Alternatively, even looking just to take online classes in various subjects if possible...but figured if I did that I might as well get some sort of certification for the efforts. Specifically considering a forestry/land management, because....yknow...In all my free time....why not?
If you DON'T care about the certification or whatever, I think there are some pretty prestigious places that essentially let you audit classes online. Do the readings, see the slides, etc.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've taken online courses but not for degrees.

Some hit, some miss.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If I needed the certification, I'd be very hesitant to pay for it--aka, find free stuff or get it paid for by someone else.

I do think we're within a few years of having govt. subsidized CC, so that might be a consideration.

Otherwise, yeah, there's a ton of free courses available through prestigious east coast schools.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

LinkedIn pro bought Lynda which has a ton of courses.

Again, hit or miss, but the value is substantial.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

One of my former bosses got his Masters online at Morehead St (Yeah, yeah, I know). He seemed to like it.
Broham