DUNE

Coffee talk.
Overlander
Contributor

DUNE

Post by Overlander »

As good as I hoped.

Can't wait for part 2.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
pdub
Site Admin

Re: DUNE

Post by pdub »

B plus.
I dont like the main actor.
Was visually impressive. Fun action.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Definitely a "big screen" movie. Too dark and expansive for a TV
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i was wholly disappointed

visually it was good, but that’s about it, imo
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Overlander wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:03 am As good as I hoped.

Can't wait for part 2.
Is it splitting the first book into two movies? Or is part two the second book?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

First book, 2 movies.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ok, so for a complete outsider (I know it has to do with spices)...yay or nay? And kids, yay or nay?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It has a decent amount of lore that you'll just have to accept.
If you don't like the LOTR movies, or watched and disliked Battlestar Gallactica, this is probably a nay.

It's so very sci fi. Like the original sci fi.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 pm Ok, so for a complete outsider (I know it has to do with spices)...yay or nay? And kids, yay or nay?
i’m not one familiar with the Dune universe, and found myself spending more time than i would’ve liked trying to remember how everything was supposed to fit together
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 pm Ok, so for a complete outsider (I know it has to do with spices)...yay or nay? And kids, yay or nay?
I recommend reading the book first, or maybe after watching Part One. It’s a landmark opus and worth reading for reading sake - if you can get through the first 15-20 pages, which is quite cryptic. After that the writing really picks up and truly great.

As for kids, I’d say yay for above 12. Under that it’s a little too serious, both book and this movie version.

I agree with some of the earlier comments. B+/A- territory. Also some scenes were a bit too dark (lighting) to see what was happening, when viewed on TV with regular ambient lighting, as mentioned before
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Once again, my opinion is that this movie needs to be seen at the theatre.
I recommend Alamo Drafthouse
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:11 pm Once again, my opinion is that this movie needs to be seen at the theatre.
I recommend Alamo Drafthouse
RIP
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Ours just reopened.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:42 pm
I recommend reading the book first, or maybe after watching Part One. It’s a landmark opus and worth reading for reading sake - if you can get through the first 15-20 pages, which is quite cryptic. After that the writing really picks up and truly great.

As for kids, I’d say yay for above 12. Under that it’s a little too serious, both book and this movie version.

I agree with some of the earlier comments. B+/A- territory. Also some scenes were a bit too dark (lighting) to see what was happening, when viewed on TV with regular ambient lighting, as mentioned before
Not sure I'll have time for that kind of reading prior to the second one coming out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:20 pm Ours just reopened.
The downtown KC one is no more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I have the option of lounging on my couch and watching a movie 'for free' ( aka it comes with HBO Max ), making my own drinks for cheap and having the ability to press pause OR driving 10 minutes to a movie theater that charges 8 bucks for popcorn during a pandemic with a bunch of people who could possibly ruin the movie for me just for deeper blacks, i'm going with the first option.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Alamo Drafthouse as a company had really been struggling. In fact I think they filed Chapter 11.

I liked Drafthouse's product in KC (although, not as much when it was AMC), but it turned out to mostly just be lipstick on a pig.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm Alamo Drafthouse as a company had really been struggling. In fact I think they filed Chapter 11.

I liked Drafthouse's product in KC (although, not as much when it was AMC), but it turned out to mostly just be lipstick on a pig.
That was the best of both worlds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

One thing that I appreciate about Alamo is the spacing.
Wife and I were 20' from the next closest spectator.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:30 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm Alamo Drafthouse as a company had really been struggling. In fact I think they filed Chapter 11.

That was the best of both worlds.
Drafthouse was cool, hip, and had some great rules on audience noise. My big issue, though, is that it turned the downtown theater a little more casual when AMC had branded it as a luxury theater. For the area, I prefer the latter with higher ticket prices.