Chiefs 2021

Kansas Football.
hartjack8
Contributor

Re: Chiefs 2021

Post by hartjack8 »

Wow you guys crazy. Chiefs written off so easy. Chill. Granted turnovers an issue with already more than all of last year but do not think that will continue at this rate. OL which was a complete redo with basically five new starters needs to improve and should over time. The number one issue is defense playing a ton of two deep which is why you see Hill's numbers. This is a Reid/Bienemy issue where you take what the defense gives you and you run which just isn't Reid's mo. Even with all that the O is not bad.

The D on the other hand will never carry the team but can manage to not cost any games. This D is built on the D line production which leaves the other seven. D line has not so far produced at the rate of the last few years but they not far off.

So the Chiefs are 3-4 and the leaders in the AFC are 5-2. The 5-2 teams all happen to be teams we lost to. Tampa Bay last year was 7-5 and then they did not lose again. Really we just need to get in the playoffs and I think we will.

Oh and we kinda need Hill because without him those safeties start creeping in. LOL
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yeah, people have kinda gone crazy calling for Reid to be fired and all sorts of elite players to be sold off. The Chiefs are just two games behind the best record in the conference and there are still 10 games remaining. No one is running away with anything. Everyone still has to play games, avoid injuries, worry about teams figuring out what they are doing, survive turnover clusters, etc...

The Chiefs do have serious issues but there is still time to fix them. Whether they can and do or not remains to be seen. I am hopeful but not optimistic.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I'm am certainly one of the more vocal advocates that change needs to be enacted but I'm not calling for Reid's head yet. Bad season will happen even with the greatest plans in place. There is a lot of football left to play and really with a QB like 15 you will always have a chance. Do I believe that is the case this year, no. IMO, they have to many weakness and holes to plug to make a Super Bowl run work.

As far as the offseason goes I still stand behind the ideals anyone on the defense that has an expiring contract you do not renew. On the offensive side unless it is 15 no one is untouchable.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mathieu is likely gone. Can't afford him if he's going to ask for what I think he will.
Clark is gone. And good.
Hitchens is gone.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Those are the obvious moves.

The big one is do you need one or two tackles? The other need is edge rusher. If you want as 'sure fire' of a starter at either of those positions you have to be in the top 13. If you don't tank you need capital to move up. The Chiefs won't have either. (at least I hope not the losing part)
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A frustrating thing is that the Chiefs have lost some good players without compensation due to some suspect roster moves. THey lost Cobb, who certainly was better than Hitchens, by leaving him off the roster. The even lost Keyes to Buffalo that way. When you consider who made the lineup, including a slow safety and a fullback, it is an own-goal situation. But again, it seems like the NFL allows teams like Tennessee to stockpile players without fear of the cap. The team we saw Sunday should have been impossible to assemble given their supposed injuries.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think Tennessee is that great. Especially their defense this year. Where's gquinn at?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I'm not sure if Cobb or Bo-Pete Keyes are really moving the needle for the Chiefs. I wish they would have went with the youth with Ward instead of re-tread Okafor at DE. I thought he had a pretty good showing in preseason.

I mean that defense looked pretty good against Buffalo and the Chiefs. Hard to find two better offenses in this league.

Who really knows this year. Outside of Buffalo, LA and Tampa Bay do we really know much about anyone else?
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Tennessee covered everyone and rushed the QB better than any defense we have seen this year. How? dunno. Kelce and Hill are not healthy but they seemed to know the routes better than the KC receivers.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:33 pm Tennessee covered everyone and rushed the QB better than any defense we have seen this year. How? dunno. Kelce and Hill are not healthy but they seemed to know the routes better than the KC receivers.
Film. Mahomes said this week that every defense has ran the same stuff at them. Tennessee's defense had been super leaky. That's when you start wondering how the HOF head coach is doing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Titans are a middle of the pack defense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Definitely not good enough that they should be pitching shutouts to Mahomes and Co.

The defense has been the Chiefs biggest problem, for sure. But, the Bucs gave the rest of the league a blueprint to beat this Chiefs personnel--don't blitz and keep your edge rushers fresh so they can go balls to the wall on every down. Chiefs have an amazing offensive coaching staff, so they'll turn that around--this is the first time with Mahomes they've encountered any true bumps in the road.

It's not some scheduling conspiracy or allowing certain teams to go over the cap to take down the Chiefs, sorry.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
But it is a pretty tough schedule.
That's what you get when you make the Super Bowl two years in a row.

And it definitely doesn't get any easier.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Saw this today. Sit down for this one Spark!

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

It was a brutal schedule to begin with much less teams like the Bengals have been a huge surprise and then the rest of the division has also got so much better.

This regression was bound to happen. It was going to be nearly impossible to maintain the level success the Chiefs have had for the last three years.

When you miss out in multiple drafts, over pay for FA's and try and break in an entirely new offensive line seasons like this will happen.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And it could have been the NFC West instead of NFC East.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:27 pm When you miss out in multiple drafts, over pay for FA's and try and break in an entirely new offensive line seasons like this will happen.
Yes sir.
No Frank Clark.
viewtopic.php?p=49039#p49039

DK.
viewtopic.php?p=49606#p49606

Diggs. Or Swift.
viewtopic.php?p=111764#p111764
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Did not mean to imply there was much more than film study by Tennessee. I do think the cap figures are fictional. The schedule has been the monster that ate KC already. It was like having to meet all your old girlfriends at the same martial arts party with their angry boyfriends. They were motivated to inflict pain. And the Chiefs are locked in at the Marriott.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:44 pmThey were motivated to inflict pain. And the Chiefs are locked in at the Marriott.
Strange from my seat because the Chiefs have an experienced, professional staff. No way would you have guessed that they wouldn't be able to handle having a target on their backs. And, that's not really a new thing, anyway. Chiefs have been kicking ass for quite some time now--they've certainly dealt with that in their division.

I'm not suggesting that this is definitely a thing, but look at the timeline--all of the bad football started right after Britt.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I'm not suggesting this is definitely a thing but I'm suggesting this is definitely a thing."