Chiefs 2021

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: Chiefs 2021

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:44 pmThey were motivated to inflict pain. And the Chiefs are locked in at the Marriott.
Strange from my seat because the Chiefs have an experienced, professional staff. No way would you have guessed that they wouldn't be able to handle having a target on their backs. And, that's not really a new thing, anyway. Chiefs have been kicking ass for quite some time now--they've certainly dealt with that in their division.

I'm not suggesting that this is definitely a thing, but look at the timeline--all of the bad football started right after Britt.
Maybe Reid is sad that Donald Trump isn't President. All of the bad football started after Inauguration Day. I am not suggesting it's a thing but look at the timeline....

Sometimes things just happen around the same time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:40 am
Sparko wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:44 pmThey were motivated to inflict pain. And the Chiefs are locked in at the Marriott.
Strange from my seat because the Chiefs have an experienced, professional staff. No way would you have guessed that they wouldn't be able to handle having a target on their backs. And, that's not really a new thing, anyway. Chiefs have been kicking ass for quite some time now--they've certainly dealt with that in their division.

I'm not suggesting that this is definitely a thing, but look at the timeline--all of the bad football started right after Britt.
Maybe Reid is sad that Donald Trump isn't President. All of the bad football started after Inauguration Day. I am not suggesting it's a thing but look at the timeline....

There are much more public voices that have put this out there. My thoughts are more in line with your second sentence: I don't think you can say they are related. Although, the timeline is what it is.

However, your first sentence is absolute nonsense. It's his family and part of his coaching staff. It's way more absurd to say it had absolutely no effect on all aspects of Reid's life.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:45 am

There are much more public voices that have put this out there. My thoughts are more in line with your second sentence: I don't think you can say they are related. Although, the timeline is what it is.

However, your first sentence is absolute nonsense. It's his family and part of his coaching staff. It's way more absurd to say it had absolutely no effect on all aspects of Reid's life.
It was meant to be ridiculous because it feels ridiculous. He's a man who has dealt with a mess of a family situation with his sons for more than a decade. Maybe he is just getting old and weary.

Or maybe this is like when KU has a bad basketball season and everyone wonders if Bill Self is thinking about jumping to the NBA, stubborn, weary of the ncaa issues or distracted but then players start making shots or he gets better players and magically no one asks what's wrong with Bill Self any more.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:54 am

It was meant to be ridiculous because it feels ridiculous. He's a man who has dealt with a mess of a family situation with his sons for more than a decade. Maybe he is just getting old and weary.

Or maybe this is like when KU has a bad basketball season and everyone wonders if Bill Self is thinking about jumping to the NBA, stubborn, weary of the ncaa issues or distracted but then players start making shots or he gets better players and magically no one asks what's wrong with Bill Self any more.
I don't think it is unreasonable or ridiculous. If your child nearly killed some kid and was arrested and facing lengthy jail time for it, you don't see how that could affect your focus at work? Then add on if s/he was one of your trusted colleagues that you relied on at work?

This has been mentioned by journalists and fans for months now.

But yes, my comment was a throwaway one, the main point was that Reid hasn't coached that well this season.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

To me the issues started with the first tampa bay game last year.
The touchdowns came too easy. Too much celebration, too much taunting.

The second half of that game did not go well and continued in the SB.
Broham
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A perfect storm of a schedule that wreaked hacoc on mediocre preparation and nagging injuries. I think the Chiefs left some folks off the roster who are better than some starters. Ignored some nagging issues-rushers, secondary, Watkins replacement, age. And I agree that the Britt situation seems to have caused Andy to focus more on his family. Less on prep. The assistant coaches are not head coaches for a reason. Pretty clearly now.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am

I don't think it is unreasonable or ridiculous. If your child nearly killed some kid and was arrested and facing lengthy jail time for it, you don't see how that could affect your focus at work? Then add on if s/he was one of your trusted colleagues that you relied on at work?

But yes, my comment was a throwaway one, the main point was that Reid hasn't coached that well this season.
Get rid of the two CEH fumbles and three tipped ball INTs and KC is probably the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC and we aren't having this conversation.

Sometimes players just need to play better.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am

Get rid of the two CEH fumbles and three tipped ball INTs and KC is probably the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC and we aren't having this conversation.

Sometimes players just need to play better.
It's true that these types of things are discussed more when teams are getting demolished. That's why it started, at the latest, after the Super Bowl. And continuing this season after getting completely smoked twice in three weeks.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Officials blew the Chargers game ( phantom hold on 4th and 9, no call on Hill and Kelce's mugging on the hailmary ).
CEH blew the Baltimore game.

Everyone blew the Titans and Buffalo games.

This really should be a 5-2 team - but one with obvious major flaws.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I do think Reid is not having his best season, but I also think KC has had some terrible bad luck this season. Could (and maybe should) be 5-2.

But that would still be 5-2 with an absolute trashing by Tennessee. No excuse for that one.

But all this is just more proof that football makes people dumb. NFL fans lap the field in the "overreact to one game" conversation
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:32 am I do think Reid is not having his best season, but I also think KC has had some terrible bad luck this season. Could (and maybe should) be 5-2.

But that would still be 5-2 with an absolute trashing by Tennessee. No excuse for that one.

But all this is just more proof that football makes people dumb. NFL fans lap the field in the "overreact to one game" conversation
And then add on that there's an extra game and extra playoff team starting this year, and it does feel like getting bent out of shape over a veteran NBA team's record through 20 games.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:36 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:32 am I do think Reid is not having his best season, but I also think KC has had some terrible bad luck this season. Could (and maybe should) be 5-2.

And then add on that there's an extra game and extra playoff team starting this year, and it does feel like getting bent out of shape over a veteran NBA team's record through 20 games.
I am more "things will be fine" than "the Chiefs are dead," but you also can't ignore the dismal ATS record in the second half of last season. Bit of engine knocking.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we can't come out with a game plan that more than handles the Giants sans their star running back on primetime MNF in Arrowhead, then I'll be more "the Chiefs are dead" than "things will be fine".
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would be more optimistic if I had seen some positive changes on the offense. The two deep safety coverage has become an anchor, no doubt about it. The jet sweeps are few and far between. The screen game has been really off for a Reid team.
The defense has had trouble making stops for some time. KC is way more prone to get killer penalties too. Even though KC is about in the middle in total penalties, there have been a lot of drive stoppers on offense and drive accelerants on defense that have changed games. KC was the most penalized team in the league last year by a wide margin. They are getting bad attention that way for sure.
Anyway, too many issues to feel confident.

Addendum: Being prevented from getting quick strikes increases the play count on offense and increases the turn-over/bad luck likelihood. That is big part of the fun too.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Six straight wins has most people forgetting that the Packers opened the season with a 38-3 thrashing by the mediocre Saints.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:33 am If we can't come out with a game plan that more than handles the Giants sans their star running back on primetime MNF in Arrowhead, then I'll be more "the Chiefs are dead" than "things will be fine".
This is one of those games where playing well doesn't prove much but playing poorly does.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Hitch and Tyrann going to Twitter to express their disgust with Chiefs fans. Gracious. This team is completely falling apart.
Holidaysmore - 2005
shindig

Post by shindig »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:56 pm Hitch and Tyrann going to Twitter to express their disgust with Chiefs fans. Gracious. This team is completely falling apart.
Tyrann is a fan favorite but the fans have a right to express their frustration with this team. I mean he's the one on the field showing disgust in missed plays by his teammates.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

shindig wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:28 am
holidaysmore wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:56 pm Hitch and Tyrann going to Twitter to express their disgust with Chiefs fans. Gracious. This team is completely falling apart.
Tyrann is a fan favorite but the fans have a right to express their frustration with this team. I mean he's the one on the field showing disgust in missed plays by his teammates.
There's a difference between complaining in general and going after players. There a lot if fans throwing toddler meltdowns on social media and it's embarrassing.

The Chiefs defensive players need to put down their phones and go watch some film and figure out how they are failing at their job in record breaking fashion. No defense in the long history of the sport has allowed so many yards per play.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The way the Chiefs have lost caused a lot of angst amongst those paying to watch millionaires play without passion.
Last edited by Sparko on Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.