DUNE

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: DUNE

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Overlander wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm One thing that I appreciate about Alamo is the spacing.
Wife and I were 20' from the next closest spectator.
Oddly, they did exactly the opposite with the KC space. Packed stadium seating into theaters that once had smaller capacities but leather recliners.

Again, I used to be a huge fan of Alamo because of their no nonsense rules, but the bad things that happened to the KC theater coincided right in time with their overall bad national press, money troubles, and then COVID.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 pm If I have the option of lounging on my couch and watching a movie 'for free' ( aka it comes with HBO Max ), making my own drinks for cheap and having the ability to press pause OR driving 10 minutes to a movie theater that charges 8 bucks for popcorn during a pandemic with a bunch of people who could possibly ruin the movie for me just for deeper blacks, i'm going with the first option.
^^^^^

we’ve been threatening to go see a matinee if something just to have a “date” but avoid the crowds as much as possible

we still prefer the couch (but may bite the bullet and go see The Last Duel this weekend...maybe)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I want to see that, Halloween Kills, Antlers and No Time to Die.
But I can definitely wait.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:21 pm
zsn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:42 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 pm Ok, so for a complete outsider (I know it has to do with spices)...yay or nay? And kids, yay or nay?
I recommend reading the book first, or maybe after watching Part One. It’s a landmark opus and worth reading for reading sake - if you can get through the first 15-20 pages, which is quite cryptic. After that the writing really picks up and truly great.

As for kids, I’d say yay for above 12. Under that it’s a little too serious, both book and this movie version.

I agree with some of the earlier comments. B+/A- territory. Also some scenes were a bit too dark (lighting) to see what was happening, when viewed on TV with regular ambient lighting, as mentioned before
Not sure I'll have time for that kind of reading prior to the second one coming out.
Reader’s Digest abridged? Cliff? Classics Illustrated? Don’t know if Dune is old enough to have a CI book. At least worth checking out the Wikipedia page 😄
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Just saw it in theater, first time in theater since pandemic started.

Fucking awesome! Kept to the book for the most part and gave everything the time it needed, sooooo glad they didn't try to shove it all into one movie. And they deviated from the book intelligently at times.

Theater was worth it, wish I had done IMAX.

Just. So. Good. Dune was my favorite book at one time. This does it justice.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 am B plus.
I dont like the main actor.
Was visually impressive. Fun action.
There's a little Hayden Christensen in him. But not as bad, good enough.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:35 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:21 pm Ok, so for a complete outsider (I know it has to do with spices)...yay or nay? And kids, yay or nay?
i’m not one familiar with the Dune universe, and found myself spending more time than i would’ve liked trying to remember how everything was supposed to fit together
I can't imagine trying to follow it without having read the book.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I think the wife and I are going to see it again this weekend
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:52 pm
i’m not one familiar with the Dune universe, and found myself spending more time than i would’ve liked trying to remember how everything was supposed to fit together
It's a lot I think.
But who knows.
Peter Jackson brought a lot of em in.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:52 pm
agreed

i’m gonna watch it again, for sure.

i had no issues with LOTR, despite not having read the books. not sure why that’s the case...
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Finally watched this. Enjoyed it, thought it was well done but the storyline itself was kind of ‘meh’