Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

Clemence projects more as a 5, right?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:49 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:37 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:04 am So CB is not starting when Jalen is back right?

I think the team is so much better with Dajuan Harris on the floor. He's not going come off the floor. He does the little things so well. Played 35 minutes last night. Good for 2nd highest on the team. He gets steals, he can handle the ball and give Remy a little break if needed and he can get to the rim.
If any issue last night, it was handling size and rebounding. Jalen helps there, but isn't a panacea--could be a team weakness.

CB playing out of position, so the offensive woes don't concern me at all. And, he still pulled down 8 boards--you always know you're getting effort out of him.

Dave also doesn't concern me. I would have liked for him to start better, but last year was way more concerning. We know now that Dave isn't really Dave unless there's a slow start.

Dajuan's not going to play 36, and will see less minutes during crunch time, but clearly is part of the rotation. Mitch/Clemence/Adams aren't going to play 18.

I think last night confirmed what most of us thought the main rotation would be. I love the freshmen, but Bill's just not going to end up playing 10+.

DMac
Jalen
Och
CB
Remy

Harris
Mitch
JCL
Clemence or Adams

Pettiford or Yes
That team is too slow to make a final 4. It's just last year's team with better offense and worse defense. Two little guards created a lot of pressure on both ends last night.
That's our personnel above. We'll play plenty with two guards.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am Yeah, if we're gonna go small, go small.

I'm not sure why we are assuming Wilson gets a starting spot. We might be playing our starting lineup right now, and what remains to be seen is whether it's Wilson or CBL that come off the bench for Och and CB. It seems like Pettiford is gonna be the Guard who spells Harris and Remy. And I think Clemence is going to establish himself as the first big (hopefully soon over mitch).
Wouldn't mind seeing Jalen at the 5 with a really small lineup for stretches.

Jalen/CB/Och/Remy/Harris

edit: not sure Bama's personnel, but my gosh would it be fun to watch that lineup go up and down the court with them the way Oats plays.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It was really nice seeing the other team with turn-over issues in game one. I love the two PG concept on defense most of all. Speed. Flying into the passing lanes.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

To be fair, Michigan State has had turnover issues for the last handful of years...I think Bilas even said as much during the game.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:10 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am Yeah, if we're gonna go small, go small.

I'm not sure why we are assuming Wilson gets a starting spot. We might be playing our starting lineup right now, and what remains to be seen is whether it's Wilson or CBL that come off the bench for Och and CB. It seems like Pettiford is gonna be the Guard who spells Harris and Remy. And I think Clemence is going to establish himself as the first big (hopefully soon over mitch).

Jalen/CB/Och/Remy/Harris

edit: not sure Bama's personnel, but my gosh would it be fun to watch that lineup go up and down the court with them the way Oats plays.
I hope I have gone on record enough here voting for Oats to be the next head coach of KU post-Self.

Back to lineups, I'd like to see Braun moved to the bench once Wilson comes back. Martin, Harris, Och, Wilson and DMac will win us a lot of games as DMac gets his act back together. He sucks against length but less than our options. Clemence got 3 fouls in 4 minutes and is vastly inferior to DMac on defense. I have no idea if Adams knows how to play offense at all. And Mitch is the Dan Sorenson of the team, instantly targeted by opposing offenses as soon as they see his ass out there.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 pm It was really nice seeing the other team with turn-over issues in game one. I love the two PG concept on defense most of all. Speed. Flying into the passing lanes.
I saw we had something like 9 turnovers on 77 possessions. That is a fantastic rate and was a welcome relief from recent KU teams.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:20 pm To be fair, Michigan State has had turnover issues for the last handful of years...I think Bilas even said as much during the game.
That may be true, but KU has had some early season issues as well. Gonzaga last year was a debacle. Good to see them save possessions.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:29 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Jalen/CB/Och/Remy/Harris

I hope I have gone on record enough here voting for Oats to be the next head coach of KU post-Self.
Loved Oats ever since I saw him in the tourney with Buffalo--I thought Uconn should have made a push for him. Like the way he plays, but would still lean Beard given his grasp of defense and openness to analytics.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:33 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 pm It was really nice seeing the other team with turn-over issues in game one. I love the two PG concept on defense most of all. Speed. Flying into the passing lanes.
I saw we had something like 9 turnovers on 77 possessions. That is a fantastic rate and was a welcome relief from recent KU teams.
That says a lot about having Harris in the lineup.

The rebounding, not so much. We're going to have several good, effective lineups with this group.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KJ really made a rebounding impression in limited minutes. I like the rebound pieces when Braun plays all-out.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:00 pm i really like Clemence
He lowkey gives off young nick Collison vibes. 6'10 white guy with length and touch
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

They're both white and tall.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 pm They're both white and tall.
What a lazy comparison.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So were Jeff withey Cole Aldrich etc etc. Clemence reminds me nothing of them. He does have a little nick Collison to his game. Seems like a high skill high IQ guy
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

randylahey wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:47 pm
So were Jeff withey Cole Aldrich etc etc. Clemence reminds me nothing of them. He does have a little nick Collison to his game. Seems like a high skill high IQ guy
Just fuckin' with ya, man.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:45 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:33 pm
That says a lot about having Harris in the lineup.

The rebounding, not so much. We're going to have several good, effective lineups with this group.
That's why I'd rather see Braun to the bench when Wilson returns. While Braun is an excellent rebounder for a guard, Wilson will help a lot in the boards. Then we have Braun to come in and spell any of the three guards and be a + rebounder.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

One question I do have.... how many more 7 footers with a 7'4" wingspan will DMac have to go against this year. He is bad against size and MSU's Bingham is probably one of the biggest, longest dudes he will face all season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Moussa Cisse x 2 ( at least ).
Dain Dainja x 2 ( at least ).
Lawson Lovering.
Chet Holmgren in the Final Four.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:50 pm One question I do have.... how many more 7 footers with a 7'4" wingspan will DMac have to go against this year. He is bad against size and MSU's Bingham is probably one of the biggest, longest dudes he will face all season.
I really hope he learns how to score on those skinny lanky dudes. Use your body. 4th year here and he is still trying to shoot over them sometimes instead of dishing out some punishment