2022 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: 2022 CBB Season

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:28 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:57 am

Yeah, I wasn't really thrilled with the schedule to begin with. Very soft non conference schedule.
I understand you have to schedule these things way ahead, and there are rules about how often you can be in any particular tournament, etc., but I just don't know what about this stupid Orlando field made us think this tournament was a good idea.
We're clearly on the same page here. As you mentioned in your other post, I'm more interested in watching good games instead of beating up on the little sisters of the poor. Ideally we play 5-7 Top 40 schools in the non conference with 2-3 of those being Top 15 schools.

Some of these non conference tournaments are complete garbage. I wish KU would just cycle through Maui, NIT, Atlantis and something in Las Vegas. Basically great travel destinations for fans with quality teams.

Also wish the Champions Classic was a 2 game event (i.e. bracket)
The 5-7 Top 40 teams in your 12 non-con games is insanely unrealistic unless you are totally fine with watching Bill Self refuse to play talented freshmen, forcing them to transfer to where they can play more.

I agree it would be "more fun to watch" but I think it would have negative consequences to the program as a whole.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:57 am

Yeah, I wasn't really thrilled with the schedule to begin with. Very soft non conference schedule.
I understand you have to schedule these things way ahead, and there are rules about how often you can be in any particular tournament, etc., but I just don't know what about this stupid Orlando field made us think this tournament was a good idea.
We're clearly on the same page here. As you mentioned in your other post, I'm more interested in watching good games instead of beating up on the little sisters of the poor. Ideally we play 5-7 Top 40 schools in the non conference with 2-3 of those being Top 15 schools.

Some of these non conference tournaments are complete garbage. I wish KU would just cycle through Maui, NIT, Atlantis and something in Las Vegas. Basically great travel destinations for fans with quality teams.

There's no good reason Champions Classic shouldn't be a two-game event; shit, for all I care, make it a round robin.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 am

The 5-7 Top 40 teams in your 12 non-con games is insanely unrealistic unless you are totally fine with watching Bill Self refuse to play talented freshmen, forcing them to transfer to where they can play more.

I agree it would be "more fun to watch" but I think it would have negative consequences to the program as a whole.
Disagree, and we've come close to these kind of schedules recently

Removing the Covid season, using kempom final rankings

2019-2020
4 - Dayton
5 - Duke
13 - BYU
18 - Villanova
35 - Colorado
43 - Stanford
68 - Tennessee

2018-2019
3 - Michigan St
8 - Kentucky
10 - Tennessee
30 - Villanova
33 - Marquette
57 - Arizona St
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:54 am
There's no good reason Champions Classic shouldn't be a two-game event; shit, for all I care, make it a round robin.
100 percent on board with this
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 am

Disagree, and we've come close to these kind of schedules recently

Removing the Covid season, using kempom final rankings

2019-2020
4 - Dayton
5 - Duke
13 - BYU
18 - Villanova
35 - Colorado
43 - Stanford
68 - Tennessee

2018-2019
3 - Michigan St
8 - Kentucky
10 - Tennessee
30 - Villanova
33 - Marquette
57 - Arizona St
All the result of the same formula:

Champions Classic
Big 12/SEC
Big 12/Big East Challenge
Thanksgiving Tourney
A home and away series
Home date fillers

Then it's just a matter of what those teams do through the season before you know if the teams end up ranked in your desired ranges.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:04 pm
Thanksgiving Tourney
Two home and away series

Then it's just a matter of what those teams do through the season before you know if the teams end up ranked in your desired ranges.
These are the two that need the most tweaking. Would like to see the home and away series increased to 3 or 4.

With 13 non conference games, I don't think it's unreasonable to want half of them to be quality opponents.

But, clearly we like different things. I have no interest in these trash games.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:09 pm
Thanksgiving Tourney
Two home and away series

These are the two that need the most tweaking. Would like to see the home and away series increased to 3 or 4.

With 13 non conference games, I don't think it's unreasonable to want half of them to be quality opponents.

It doesn't matter what you or I like. Self doesn't send me a questionnaire asking my preferences so what I prefer is irrelevant. It matters only what Self feels is the best way to develop the roster that he has each season. My guess is that with an entirely new roster he chose to lighten it up a bit and I'd also guess that it can be a challenge to find a bunch of really good teams who want to take an almost automatic L in AFH against a coach who also wins a huge majority of his ranked road games.

And the Thanksgiving tourneys just run on a rotation. Maui, Atlantis, this Orlando tourney etc... Kansas seems to do the Maui Invitational every 4 years so we'd be back there in 2023. Self doesn't appear to have enjoyed the Atlantis tourney as he hasn't returned since their one appearance in 2013. I remember watching that team play and remember the shitty lights while playing in a ballroom of a hotel. Last year's Gonzaga game was thrown together about 3 weeks before it was played due to the whole covid situation.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:13 pm
Thanksgiving Tourney
Two home and away series

It doesn't matter what you or I like. Self doesn't send me a questionnaire asking my preferences so what I prefer is irrelevant.
Jesus Christ, you're a special kind of dumb this morning.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 pm

It doesn't matter what you or I like. Self doesn't send me a questionnaire asking my preferences so what I prefer is irrelevant.
Sorry, I just prefer the real world.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:24 pm
Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 pm

Sorry, I just prefer the real world.
Just keep doubling down on dumb.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Keep dreaming about KU booking 3-4 home and away series per year.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Duke. Your new #1.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:55 pm Duke. Your new #1.
I mean gonzaga had already destroyed texas and UCLA, who were ranked 5th and 2nd at the time. and duke beat them so duke probably will shoot up to 1. Ku losing a joke of a game helps too.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I was hoping we didn't have to hear about Coach K in every ESPN broadcast all season but now it's really going to be that.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Banchero is a beast. Both Duke and Gonzaga are very tough matchups for us.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:07 am Banchero is a beast. Both Duke and Gonzaga are very tough matchups for us.
I think we match up much better with dook.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Meanwhile Iowa State, who won 2 games all last year, beat #25 Xavier and #9 Memphis this week. I am assuming their fans now believe they own the Big 12 and will be making a Final Four run.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The better the B12 is, the better itll feel winning it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Kansas' season opening opponent, Tarleton State, was down by just 1 point st halftime at Gonzaga and only lost by 9, 64-55. Gonzaga, Michigan, Wichita State and Stanford all failed to score more than 65 vs. Tarleton State so KU's 88 against them is pretty impressive comparatively.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Thanksgiving Tourney
Two home and away series

It doesn't matter what you or I like. Self doesn't send me a questionnaire asking my preferences so what I prefer is irrelevant. It matters only what Self feels is the best way to develop the roster that he has each season. My guess is that with an entirely new roster he chose to lighten it up a bit and I'd also guess that it can be a challenge to find a bunch of really good teams who want to take an almost automatic L in AFH against a coach who also wins a huge majority of his ranked road games.
There's also more to the schedule than "which small school can we pay to come get blown out?" Stony Brook is picked to win their conference by a lot of people. Stephen F Austin is picked 1 or 2 in the WAC depending which preseason ranking you want to look at. Harvard is a favorite to win the Ivy. UTEP is the only opponent that isn't considered a team that could make the NCAA.

Self has said in the past he likes to schedule NCAA Tournament like games. That doesn't have to mean Top 25 matchups every time you take the court. It doesn't seem sexy in November, but when you look at the bracket in March and Stony Brook is a 13 seed you can see they probably still got some benefits from that 30 point win. It's not like they are scheduling Mississippi Valley State or Chicago State and winning 115-47.