21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by Sparko »

Wilson does not handle the ball well enough to be trusted with the offense with no natural PG on the floor. Harris does PG 101 well. Not guarding a point guard leaves drive opportunities. What is great about Harris is that he doesn't have to be sophomore BIFM. He can shoot; he is tight as a drum shooting this year, but he was hitting threes last year and contributing. He is focusing on the role Bill gave him this year. Ball handler, facilitator, like RussRob. Bill brought him back into the game early with four fouls to stop the bleeding last night. Wilson will be a journeyman type of guy this year looking for a role. He needs to hit free throws and value possessions to gain some trust.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 am Yeah, Dajuan’s good at passing and defense.

If there’s something that might make it OK for Dajuan to play, it’s that even tho he can’t shoot, if he gets the ball he can at least get into space and move it in a hurry.

But still, Dajuan out there makes it that much easier for opponents to guard (or double) everybody else.

And just generally, elite teams tend to not have things like 2ppg starters
You think offense has been a problem this season? Or that our offense has been worse with Harris on the floor?

Do you watch the games?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:49 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:01 am Yeah, Dajuan’s good at passing and defense.

If there’s something that might make it OK for Dajuan to play, it’s that even tho he can’t shoot, if he gets the ball he can at least get into space and move it in a hurry.

But still, Dajuan out there makes it that much easier for opponents to guard (or double) everybody else.

And just generally, elite teams tend to not have things like 2ppg starters
You think offense has been a problem this season? Or that our offense has been worse with Harris on the floor?

Do you watch the games?
Yeah. The fast start and shutting down the Second Half run all saw Harris in a lead role last night. And not even close with others.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:48 am Wilson does not handle the ball well enough to be trusted with the offense with no natural PG on the floor.
Remy can be a natural point guard for us. The ability to score doesn't mean he can't be the primary ball handler on the floor once he gets more comfortable within our offense.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:06 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:48 am Wilson does not handle the ball well enough to be trusted with the offense with no natural PG on the floor.
Remy can be a natural point guard for us. The ability to score doesn't mean he can't be the primary ball handler on the floor once he gets more comfortable within our offense.
I don't think he really is PG material. He has some skills, but had really had some bad fouls and turnovers. I think Self has decoded that, hence always subbing in another guard.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:17 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:06 pm
I don't think he really is PG material. He has some skills, but had really had some bad fouls and turnovers. I think Self has decoded that, hence always subbing in another guard.
He's going to be forced to be trusted as our pg. You absolutely can't have Harris on the floor on offense in close games with under 2min on the clock. Harris will get his 25min Self has basically announced he will be getting, but Remy will be our closer.

And honestly, we don't run an offense that needs a CP3 style pass first guard. Our last 3 great AA point guards have been score first (mason graham and dotson).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Remy's been fine. But, we know he can be better, which is exciting. Needs more reps with the new teammates.

Once he finds his gear, look out. (and Jalen too). Like 2018, I won't be worried about not having a top 5 defense because we should easily push into the 80's and even 90's.

This team is and will be devastating in transition.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If it weren't for the stretch where St. John's couldn't miss a single guarded 3, that game is a 30+ point win. Granted it's his style, but Mike Anderson tried to run with us. 98% of teams are going to lose to us if that's how they want to play us.

St. John's is a bubble team, too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Illy's probably right that the assumed decrease in Harris minutes will mostly go to Jalen.

But, I do think there's too much negative Bill Self history tied to not developing one ballhandler off the bench.

Rotations are crazy right now. Maybe that bench ballhandler really is just Dajuan and Jalen snaps out of it.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Is now a good time to insert twocoach’s “it doesn’t matter what you think, it only matters what self thinks” rant?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Player A: 20 minutes, 2 points, 4 assists, 1-2 fg

Player B: 16 minutes, 5 points, 9 rebounds, 2-8 fg

One hasn’t been shooting well but should snap out of it. The other doesn’t shoot much either way.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Is there an option C?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 pmOne hasn’t been shooting well but should snap out of it.
I'm not sure that that is a definite. I have never been sold on Jalen's shooting.

But, I sure hope so.

We have to get him going, though, but right now he's not doing anything for the half court offense. If he plays like this, he's pretty much unplayable in the half court except for at the 5.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah I know what you mean. Jalen scoring again feels almost like some unknown.

But dude can score. He was 3rd leading scorer at 11.8ppg, and a cursory looks suggests he had more 20+ point games than anyone else last year?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:45 pm Is there an option C?
Get Joe or JCL or some other reserve up to speed?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 am Know what? I’ll gladly eat that crow.

Except it’s actually spelled crauw.

Now some of you guys need to stop obsessing over me, please and thanks.
You also might need to eat some McCrowmack too.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what’s the preferred recipe, anyways?

Can we take it to the bbq thread?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

McCrowmack sounds like some special release McDonald’s sammich.

It’s all processed meat but molded into a little crow shape.

Make it a combo with fries and a Hi-C orange, for a limited time only!

(Offer not valid in AK or HI)
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

No one needs to eat crow on McCormack regardless of what was said.

He’s bad* and we’re playing a real shitty game of Russian roulette with him.

*context matters here
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think these things are true.

The offense is better with two primary ball handlers. Harris has been that guy, but he has to do SOMETHING more productive or we become too easy to guard.

Wilson has the skillset to actually be the second ball handler and still allow the offense to run smoothly, but he's mostly played like shit.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.