Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:45 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:36 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:38 am Wiggs went 8-10 from 3 last night. That has to be a career best.
That'll scour. The Warriors value that more than almost anything else.
I wonder what he would become if he had spent his first several years with Steph and Draymond rather than the dumpster fire in the Minnesota tundra.
I say that about every Jayhawk that ends up getting drafted by one the of NBA dumpster fire organizations. I wish Graham would get himself to a good team.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:36 pm
That'll scour. The Warriors value that more than almost anything else.
I wonder what he would become if he had spent his first several years with Steph and Draymond rather than the dumpster fire in the Minnesota tundra.
I say that about every Jayhawk that ends up getting drafted by one the of NBA dumpster fire organizations. I wish Graham would get himself to a good team.
He's struggling this season. Not sure what it is to be honest. Even without Ingram for a stretch and no Zion yet his numbers aren't what i was expecting.

They should be decent with Ingram Zion and JoVal once (if) they all get healthy.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

There always seems to be some sort of excuse for why New Orleans isn't as good as it should be. I'd just rather he go somewhere that has elite teammates.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think I’m over the Duke bullshit enough to be cool with Zion, especially cuz he is (was?) an exciting guy to watch, and especially especially now that he’s teamed up with Devonte.

But man, at this point it’s hard to be remotely optimistic about his career projection, when his waistline projection is so much more robust.
Deleted User 863

Zion may be the next Greg Oden or Brandon Roy. All different injuries/curicumstances but careers cut short because of injuries after showing so much promise.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Were Oden or Roy’s injury histories tied to their diet and conditioning?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:29 pm Were Oden or Roy’s injury histories tied to their diet and conditioning?
Like i said, different injuries/circumstances.

Although with Zion it's the whole chicken and egg thing. He's always been big, but having to be inactive for so long has done a number on him it appears.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Well, I wonder how much of it is a discipline thing.

Everyone’s always known Zion’s always been big. But he also has access to some of the best trainers and dietitians in the world.

Is he listening to them?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:00 pm Yea.

Foot fractures are tough for big guys.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 pm

He's struggling this season. Not sure what it is to be honest. Even without Ingram for a stretch and no Zion yet his numbers aren't what i was expecting.

They should be decent with Ingram Zion and JoVal once (if) they all get healthy.
Read an insider article with the Pels staff and they are fine with Devonte's play but have said that it has really hurt him having to carry so much load on offense with all the injuries. i.e. he can't be a point guard right now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:07 pm

Well, there were big questions about Zion's commitment to keeping the weight off way before he injured his foot--that goes back to HS days.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Especially big and fat ones. New Orleans has some yummy food options.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:13 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Read an insider article with the Pels staff and they are fine with Devonte's play but have said that it has really hurt him having to carry so much load on offense with all the injuries. i.e. he can't be a point guard right now.
Ya it's weird. Started every game he's played and averaged 31mpg, so he's not far off from last year in CHA, but stats/mins still slightly down across the board from his breakout season 2 years ago in CHA.

I keep waiting for him to string 3 or 4 big games together.

Not sure if you guys play DFS but he's priced very attractively the last week or so for a guy with his upside with scoring and assists.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Especially big and fat ones. New Orleans has some yummy food options.
One of the surest ways to see NBA players out while on a road game is to go to a few chain staples like Ruth's Chris, Eddie V's, Benihana, and Cheesecake Factory. Granted, it's much better than fast food and NBA players need a lot of calories to live, but that's a lot of food when you're not playing.

I'd be surprised if Zion hasn't been on a steak tour and going to town.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Well, there were big questions about Zion's commitment to keeping the weight off way before he injured his foot--that goes back to HS days.
Yea.

If we go back to chicken an egg, maybe he would have been less vulnerable to a foot fracture if he wasn’t so big in the first place.

But to point to a foot fracture as a response to a question about conditioning, seems kinda telling as well.

That musta been Sherron’s problem too. Maybe he stubbed a toe or something.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:23 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Yea.

If we go back to chicken an egg, maybe he would have been less vulnerable to a foot fracture if he wasn’t so big in the first place.

But to point to a foot fracture as a response to a question about conditioning, seems kinda telling as well.

That musta been Sherron’s problem too. Maybe he stubbed a toe or something.
Sherron and Zion had a lifetime of everything sports-related come easy to them. Sherron would show up every fall overweight knowing he'd be in game ready shape by tip and his talent just carried him no matter what weight he was at.

Professional ball and aging puts a stop to that really quick.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Exactly.

But even for exceptional athletic outliers like Sherron and Zion, you’d think they’d have enough trainers and such in their ears that they’d factor in strict diet and conditioning as a matter of career development.

But, alas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I still haven’t fully forgiven Sherron.

That summer 2009 narrative should have been flush with headlines like “Collins poised for PoY campaign.”

But instead, it was “Collins returns to campus in the 240 pound range”
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Maybe he doesn't want to only eat salads for every meal. Can't blame him there. I wouldn't either.

Maybe Zion didn't play basketball to be the best ever...maybe he just did it to become rich? Those are things GMs have to sniff out in pre draft interviews because they're stuck with him now probably.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:31 pm Maybe he doesn't want to only eat salads for every meal. Can't blame him there. I wouldn't either.

I bet you would if doing so meant potential career earnings in the hundreds of millions or more.