2022 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
shindig

Re: 2022 CBB Season

Post by shindig »

Rupp Rafter meltdown… lol. FIRE Calipari! Misery gets thumped by KU and UK loses as well. Great day of CB.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Love the thread title: "Will Kansas prison rape us"

The answer seems to be, "Yes ".
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Purdue just went to ot with nc state.

Now with 5 minutes left (2) Baylor is up 47-27 on (6) nova wtf
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Final score 57-36 how is this a top 6 matchup
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and Iowa st wins....47-37.....??
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Nova with 36 as a final. Holy smokes
Broham
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Nova is insanely overrated IMO.

Baylor will be #1 and have a back loaded conference schedule. They are going to pad some wins over the next month.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:43 pm Nova is insanely overrated IMO.

Baylor will be #1 and have a back loaded conference schedule. They are going to pad some wins over the next month.
Let 'em.

I think we're much closer to being the best team in the country than the seventh best, and we're doing it with at least three guys who are underperforming. Lots more ceiling here.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

TDub wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:11 pm and Iowa st wins....47-37.....??
Against yet another SWAC team. Another reason Kenpom isn't fooled by their undefeated start, lol.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:46 am

Let 'em.

I think we're much closer to being the best team in the country than the seventh best, and we're doing it with at least three guys who are underperforming. Lots more ceiling here.
I am so unsure right now what Jalen's ceiling is for this particular team.

He might be just a change of pace and rebound guy off the bench.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48 am

Let 'em.

I am very far from a basketball knower, but I'd think he's at least a matchup guy to exploit an opposing big who can't switch.

Not unlike a certain recent team, Bill's just going to have to swallow that this is a team that must play in the 80s and 90s to reach its ceiling.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:56 am

Let 'em.

I am very far from a basketball knower, but I'd think he's at least a matchup guy to exploit an opposing big who can't switch.

Not unlike a certain recent team, Bill's just going to have to swallow that this is a team that must play in the 80s and 90s to reach its ceiling.
Absolutely. One of the best transition teams Bill has ever had here. And Jalen does help with that.

In the halfcourt right now, he's playing like an undersized 5-man. I think the warning signs were there last season and I couldn't help but wonder if we had already seen close to Jalen's ceiling when he was playing before there was film on him. Not too many teams are playing a guy that can't switch at the 4--they're just keeping Jalen in front of them and he's not a great jumpshooter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think Jalen's ceiling is just a better more consistent version of what we already know about him.

Good rebounder, above average handles for a forward, streaky shooter/scorer who can get hot on you.

It seems more and more like he might be a 6th man after all this year, and I think that's gotta be messing with him a little bit. Last year as a starter he was 3rd leading scorer, top rebounder, 2nd in assists. And now he's trying to figure out how to be productive as a reserve with fewer minutes. That's gotta mess with an athlete's head a little, right? Dude's gotta figure out his role.

What I can't help but wonder, is if he would have begun the season as a starter if not for the DUI.

see kids? don't drink and drive!

but if you do, just bring K's grandson to take the fall for you, then it's NBD.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I don't think he's at his ceiling. His problems right now are
1. Shooting
2. Offensive awareness. He's great at pushing the pace, but he's looking to drive every time he touches the ball. He's missing open guys and is stopping the ball from moving sides the way Self likes.

Those are both fixable. Not necessarily this season though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:17 amI don't think he's at his ceiling.
Not now, no.

I meant more of what we saw of him in noncon last year when he had his high scoring games and did look like a legit wing at this level that could also rebound.

Right now he's just a wing that can't shoot who plays at the 4 because he's a good rebounder.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, he seems out of sync in the half court.

not sure what shots to take, or what plays to make.

but yeah that is fixable. though yeah I dunno how much Self is gonna work on fixing it for a guy who's now a reserve.

at the same time tho, this halfway feels like a season we could see some shakeup to the 21-22 lineup thread like after winter break or something.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

didn’t he go get feedback from nba folks?

he sure doesn’t look it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:01 am

Absolutely. One of the best transition teams Bill has ever had here. And Jalen does help with that.

In the halfcourt right now, he's playing like an undersized 5-man. I think the warning signs were there last season and I couldn't help but wonder if we had already seen close to Jalen's ceiling when he was playing before there was film on him. Not too many teams are playing a guy that can't switch at the 4--they're just keeping Jalen in front of them and he's not a great jumpshooter.
I think the big thing that's hurting Jalen's role (but obviously helping our team) is that he was sort of the only known commodity (hi, Remy) who had shown a willingness and ability to create a scoring opportunity on his own. So, even if he was only a B- or B at it, it was a trait we didn't otherwise have (so it would fall to him).

But, my god, now that both Och and Braun are doing this at higher levels, Jalen's sort of without a role.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I definitely don't think the rotation is set. We're not even half through December on the calendar.

I am remembering back to late January 2018 when Newman and Vick were coming off the bench b/c they just weren't getting it.

Like has been said, I just hope Bill fights his urge to make better defensive lineups at the expense of scoring a lot of points at a faster pace than he usually plays.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:28 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:01 am

I think the big thing that's hurting Jalen's role (but obviously helping our team) is that he was sort of the only known commodity (hi, Remy) who had shown a willingness and ability to create a scoring opportunity on his own. So, even if he was only a B- or B at it, it was a trait we didn't otherwise have (so it would fall to him).
It's hard to remember someone hitting the freshman wall so hard like that. The B- was so exposed and we were just a collection of guys last season.

Jalen needs to take that offseason step that some of our other guys obviously took.