Strikes

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Strikes

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Why do people have an issue with dividends if it's a publicly traded company? Especially one with a stock price under $50.

I would understand more if it was a privately owned company with only a handful of owners.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the concept of dividends. And stock markets. And heck, capitalism.

What is the appropriate portion to reward those with money to burn all along who made a one-time investment; versus those risking health and lives to actually do the work?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But maybe it’s moot.

Strike’s over!

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“significant wage increases, added workplace protections, a secure retirement, and quality healthcare”

Exact terms not released yet. And not exactly sure what the terms in dispute were either

but I think it was something along the lines of, after seeing record sales and seeing the ceo get a 45% raise while working from the comfort and safety of his home office, workers on the front lines were pissed about being expected to accept a raise of $.50 an hour over the next two years
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:43 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:10 am Sorry for the interruption but I feel the desire to express myself and say that no one on here should believe anything they are reading on this thread is factual - without doing their own research and/or discussing it with people who truly are knowledgable.
I say that being someone who knows for a fact that there are things about the company I work for that are "public information" on the internet and yet are blatantly false.

Carry on.......
That's illegal and probably not common.

Or, it's immaterial stuff, which would basically negate your overall point.
I'm not a legal (nor compliance) expert so I don't know to what extent some/much/many that is out there is "illegal".
My guess is it's more common that we think in regards to misinformation that others publicly state about companies they don't work for.
"Immaterial" is exactly one of the major things that needs to be defined when we are discussing legality and what is being made public that isn't true.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:29 am I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the concept of dividends. And stock markets. And heck, capitalism.

What is the appropriate portion to reward those with money to burn all along who made a one-time investment; versus those risking health and lives to actually do the work?
Stock market raises capital so a business can invest more. Investing includes hiring and spending, things that employ people.

Dividends share profits, it's the purpose of a stock, which, once again, is what creates investment, which creates jobs.

Investing risks money that you've already earned. Working does not.

Kroger has paid hundreds of millions to employees because of the pandemic, far more than they gave the CEO. They gave extra hourly bonuses to all frontline workers, and extra bonuses to share Covid profits with all employees, and $100 for each employee for getting vaccinated.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:23 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:29 am I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the concept of dividends. And stock markets. And heck, capitalism.

Dividends share profits, it's the purpose of a stock, which, once again, is what creates investment, which creates jobs.
Exactly.

For example I get dividend income from the Apple stock i own, obviously it's not much because I don't own hundreds of shares, but it's not just the ultra rich who can buy stocks/earn dividend income.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, grocery workers could buy stocks too, sure.

That supposes they have the discretionary income to save and invest as capital.

But I wonder how many grocery workers worry about affording stock, versus how many grocery workers worry about affording groceries.

Also, “far more than they gave the CEO” lulz
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:36 am Yeah, grocery workers could buy stocks too, sure.

That supposes they have the discretionary income to save and invest as capital.

But I wonder how many grocery workers worry about affording stock, versus how many grocery workers worry about affording groceries.

Also, “far more than they gave the CEO” lulz
Entry level jobs are not intended to be enough to raise a family and they're not intended to be a person's ceiling.

Also, the pandemic resulted in very good, yet unpredictable 2020 and 2021. As a result corporate employees (such as the CEO and me) got a chunk of that. Hundreds of millions of dollars were also given to all the in-store workers on top of their usual pay. What is your problem with that?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

lol, Mjl works for Kroger?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Is that a problem?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Did Kroger get a PP1&2 loan?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

defixione wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:38 pm Did Kroger get a PP1&2 loan?
Nope
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:28 pmIs that a problem?
If I am not mistaken, I believe you have stated that you work for Kroger in some regard/degree on here in the past. Correct or incorrect?
Regardless, I'm not sure why anyone would find humor in it - or at least feel the need to post a "lol" in regards to it. No matter if your job/role/responsibility was cleaning the toilets for minimum wage in a ghetto store, you're the CEO, or ANYTHING in-between.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

mjl funny math and meltdown coming in 3, 2, 1 ................
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The only stat there I can confirm or deny is the two months hazard pay, which is just blatantly, blatantly false. It was in place pretty much all of 2020. I don't recall if it continued into 2021. But what was paid out for hazard pay far, far exceeds the 20 mil the CEO made.

Yeah, you could stop paying the guy who runs a company that does over $100 billion in revenue annually. Take the savings and you could give every employee a one time check of $40. Would that make you happy?

Or will you be happy when the grocery prices get jacked up to pay for higher salaries, thus making affording food and rent more difficult to afford for all Americans?

No, no, that won't be enough for you, we also need to execute the evil executives! Of course nobody will want to run the company and the 500,000 employees will be out of a job, as will many down the supply chain. And there will be fewer grocers to handle that kind of scale so grocery prices will go up. And taking the salaries of all the executives and distributing them to employees would be a barely noticeable amount. But what's important is that you stuck it to "The Man".
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

This was a little confusing to me - "Workers are demanding fair wages, better healthcare options and more tools for on-the-job safety".
Ok, that makes perfect sense but........

On Tuesday, King Soopers/City Market proposed what it called its “last best and final offer,” including $170 million in new wages plus one-time ratification bonuses.

The retailer said the average associate would receive a nearly 22% pay increase over the duration of the three-year contract. That includes $16 hourly starting rates for new hires in all marketing areas, including courtesy clerks; $3.10-per-hour wage increases for top-rate associates over the life of the contract; up to $4.50 hourly increases for associates in wage scales in the first year of the contract (based on progression and classification); and one-time ratification bonuses of $4,000 for associates with 10 or more years of service and $2,000 for those with less than 10 years of service. Wage increases for expired contracts would be effective Jan. 16 if the offer is voted on and ratified by Jan. 22.

In addition, King Soopers/City Market said it has upped its previous health care benefits proposal by $6 million to nearly $19 million over three years, on top of $72 million per year that the company already contributes to health coverage. The retailer also said it will continue to contribute $29.3 million annually to the pension plan.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... s-colorado

So.....
They (Kroger) are making "concessions" and trying to at least somewhat accommodate the "demands". Yes? No?
My seemingly snide and yet sincere statement that I say too often is, I don't know a single person who has even been forced to work for (in this case Kroger) nor has been forced to stay working at (in this case) Kroger.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:30 am The only stat there I can confirm or deny is the two months hazard pay, which is just blatantly, blatantly false. It was in place pretty much all of 2020. I don't recall if it continued into 2021. But what was paid out for hazard pay far, far exceeds the 20 mil the CEO made.

Yeah, you could stop paying the guy who runs a company that does over $100 billion in revenue annually. Take the savings and you could give every employee a one time check of $40. Would that make you happy?

Or will you be happy when the grocery prices get jacked up to pay for higher salaries, thus making affording food and rent more difficult to afford for all Americans?

No, no, that won't be enough for you, we also need to execute the evil executives! Of course nobody will want to run the company and the 500,000 employees will be out of a job, as will many down the supply chain. And there will be fewer grocers to handle that kind of scale so grocery prices will go up. And taking the salaries of all the executives and distributing them to employees would be a barely noticeable amount. But what's important is that you stuck it to "The Man".
Remember when you told us giving the lowest paid workers a raise would bankrupt the company? How did that go?