Och senior year

Kansas Basketball.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Och senior year

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:16 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:12 am Yea, I have a degree and all I got from it was this piece of paper
I meant more along the lines of i bet there are at least a few shitty hateful racist people with degrees from KU and imo they aren't true Jayhawks because they don't embody the spirit of what it means to be a Jayhawk.
Funny.

No, dressing up to be a Jayhawk doesn’t make you a “Jayhawk”, it makes you a Jayhawk fan. And that’s ok.

My wife has her degree from UNT, it doesn’t make me an “Eagle”.

IMO, to say that you are a Jayhawk, or claim any school as yours, you should have to attended classes on campus.

So, you should cease and desist referring to yourself as a Jayhawk, nor are you in any position to dictate what it means to be a Jayhawk.

Please, though, continue to support and cheer my Jayhawks, we appreciate your support.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think there's a distinction in there though. I dont know illys details...but if youre a born and raised Kansan, embedded in Jayhawk Fandom...you are at least as much a Jayhawk as a kid who moves from out of state to attend for 2-3-4 years and then moves out of state when theyre done with classes/summers/graduation.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is actually a good argument.

I think you can be a Jayhawk without attending KU.
I know several die hards that decided to go somewhere else because the schools were better in the field they wanted to pursue.

Then imagine kids who couldn't afford or get into KU but love the program.

You're an elite Jayhawk if you a. Can name 50 KUbb players b. Attended KU c. Have been to 10 plus games d. Have 100 posts on kcrim.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

A semi humorous part of this debate is that if we were to use the Merriam Webster dictionary definition of what a Jayhawk is, ("a fictitious bird with a large beak used as an emblem in Kansas") NONE of us are a Jayhawk.

I have a buddy who went to Michigan. He's not a huge sports fan and he HATES Michigan athletics.
Is he still a Wolverine? I would say yes but he says no. He says, he's a Michigan alum but in no way does he consider himself to be a Wolverine. Who am I to argue with him and disagree?
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You know who is a Jayhawk through and through.

Ochai Agbaji.

Legend.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You know what I cant wait for?
His moments this B12 season to deliver in the clutch.
My god yes.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think it is okay if we all define who is a jayhawk a little differently. And i certainly would never tell a KU grad like Plano that he's "wrong" for not considering me a jayhawk. But I also don't feel like i need plano (or whoever) to validate my feelings about KU. My dad is at least as much Jayhawk as Plano, and if he considers me a Jayhawk then that's good enough for me I suppose.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:17 pm This is actually a good argument.

I think you can be a Jayhawk without attending KU.
I know several die hards that decided to go somewhere else because the schools were better in the field they wanted to pursue.

Then imagine kids who couldn't afford or get into KU but love the program.

You're an elite Jayhawk if you a. Can name 50 KUbb players b. Attended KU c. Have been to 10 plus games d. Have 100 posts on kcrim.

And, e. Don't spend your free time trolling KU fans like a fucking twat.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ranking the top 25 players in men's college basketball for the 2021-22 season, version 2.0

1. Davis, Wisconsin
2. Cockburn, Illinois
3. Tshiebwe, Kentucky

4. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas Jayhawks
For a player who was originally slated to redshirt as a freshman in 2018-19, Agbaji has certainly come a long way. In fact, there's a case to be made that the 6-foot-5 senior is the most efficient featured scorer to wear a Kansas uniform since Wooden Award winner Frank Mason III. Agbaji is posting career highs for accuracy from both sides of the arc and at the line while carrying a heavier load in the KU offense than ever before. He also happens to be the oldest player currently projected as a 2022 first-round pick by ESPN's Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz. When you're performing at a level stratospheric enough to be drafted as a 22-year-old, you deserve a spot very high in these top 25 rankings.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... version-20
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I shudder to think about what this team would look like if he hadn't become a Dude.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa. No senior Och?

Ugh. Gross.

Basically last year, except a more productive CB, a regressed frontcourt, and Dajuan getting lots of credit for the kind of production that last year’s fans would have burned Marcus Garrett at the stake for.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'd take a guess that with no senior Och we would see a lot more of the 20 PPG Remy a lot of fans thought was going to happen.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think what fish was trying to say is what would this team be if Och was exactly like he was last season. And the answer to that is not great. At least not with half a Remy. CB is a lot stronger, better, but he hasn't been nearly as aggressive in conference play.

If there were no Senior Och period, I'm not sure Remy is here. He made his announcement pretty quickly after Och said he's coming back, iirc.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:42 pm I think what fish was trying to say is what would this team be if Och was exactly like he was last season. And the answer to that is not great. At least not with half a Remy. CB is a lot stronger, better, but he hasn't been nearly as aggressive in conference play.

If there were no Senior Och period, I'm not sure Remy is here. He made his announcement pretty quickly after Och said he's coming back, iirc.
Right; what if he were just (ducks) senior Travis?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Watch it bro.

For real tho interesting.

I kinda forgot Travis averaged almost 12ppg his senior year.

Dude could score, but I remember him more as the archetypal dude who could impact a game without scoring a point.

And while senior Travis had the intangibles to his game, senior Och as a pure scorer is def worth more.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Second team.

Ochai Agbaji, Kansas
6-5, 215, Sr., G
Key stats: 19.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 spg, .521 FG, .473 3-PT
Defining game: 29 points, 9-of-17 shooting in 87-74 victory over Michigan State
Overview: The MSU game was in the opening-night Champions Classic, and it set a tone for how Agbaji’s final season as a collegian would go. It wasn’t just that he rang up a career high that night. It was more that he so obviously embraced the need for him to play as KU’s first option, to operate as a player who could take on the responsibility of challenging opposing defenses to stop him and thus make it easier for his teammates to operate. Agbaji has produced 10 double-figure scoring games in 17 starts and is making nearly half of more than six 3-point attempts per game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I put Ochai over Akinjo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I usually agree with DeCourcey, but that doesn't make much sense.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:43 pm I put Ochai over Akinjo.
Agreed:

Akinjo key stats: 13.9 ppg, 5.7 apg, 2.1 spg, .434 FG
Agbaji key stats: 19.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 spg, .521 FG, .473 3-PT

Akinjo vs. good teams Mich St., ISU, TT: 16ppg, 40.00% fg%, 28.57% 3pt fg%, 2rpg, 4.3apg, 2spg
Agbaji vs. good teams Mich St., ISU, TT: 25ppg, 54.54 fg%, 56.52% 3pt fg%, 4.33rpg, 1apg, 1.3spg