jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:25 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:16 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 am

Don't worry. Pdub will delete it soon.
What’s the data on contagious period after exposure or infection?

The radio said they found it was most contagious from like 2-5 days after symptoms (or was it exposure?), then got kinda vague like “and after 5 days it isn’t THAT contagious”

So what the science behind the 10 days suddenly now 5? Is there even science behind it, or did the CDC just give in to “the economy” or whatever, and slice that quarantine in half like it’s just another break room donut?
The shorter incubation time is based largely on early data from group gatherings. And it appears the incubation time is shorter both for time until contagious and time until symptomatic. But in both cases you're thought to be most contagious two days prior to developing symptoms. (But both things happen a couple days sooner)

I believe the change in isolation time has more to do with reduced severity than with becoming less contagious more quickly.
It's also a moving target as to where you'll successfully get compliance with the recommendations, whatever they are. I'd imagine there's a sizable group of people who will follow 5-day guidance, but will not follow 10-day guidance.

So, if the research suggests that the risks of letting people out after five days are not significant, then the adoption benefits may well overwhelm the risk.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:25 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:16 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 am

Don't worry. Pdub will delete it soon.
What’s the data on contagious period after exposure or infection?

The radio said they found it was most contagious from like 2-5 days after symptoms (or was it exposure?), then got kinda vague like “and after 5 days it isn’t THAT contagious”

So what the science behind the 10 days suddenly now 5? Is there even science behind it, or did the CDC just give in to “the economy” or whatever, and slice that quarantine in half like it’s just another break room donut?
The shorter incubation time is based largely on early data from group gatherings. And it appears the incubation time is shorter both for time until contagious and time until symptomatic. But in both cases you're thought to be most contagious two days prior to developing symptoms. (But both things happen a couple days sooner)

I believe the change in isolation time has more to do with reduced severity than with becoming less contagious more quickly.
I saw this interesting thread with skepticism on the new guidelines yesterday:

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And this is what I just talked to a colleague about--we both have advanced degrees and are having difficulty understanding the new guideline.

She (and jfish) are right in that there has to be some realization by the govt that people aren't going to isolate for 10 days anymore.

But, those people also don't mask and mandates have been dropped. So, we're just going to spread this variant around like wildfire, too.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

some have/will move forward with life. with or without the blessing of the man or big pharma and their shareholders.

i used my advance degree to come to that conclusion.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

When mich buys a frozen dinner he microwaves it for how damn long he wants to microwave it for. He's not going to be slave to big marie Callender and her cooking instructions.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

"Measure twice cut once." Fuck that. mich ain't gonna be slave to big-tape measure. He's getting on with life. Gonna eyeball that fucker and cut it, no matter how much lumber it wastes.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:46 pm some have/will move forward with life. with or without the blessing of the man or big pharma and their shareholders.

The difference between my colleague and I compared to you is not just our obligation, but also our desire to be concerned with others' life, safety, convenience, health, and well-being.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mich don't abide by stop lights. He goes when he wants and stops when he wants, and suggests you do too. Move on with life. No need to get a blessing from big-stop light.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mich gets dressed on his own. Doesn't need no fancy meteorologist to control his life. He recently lost his toes wearing sandals ice fishing, but he's getting on with life and that's all that matters.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:49 pm When mich buys a frozen dinner he microwaves it for how damn long he wants to microwave it for. He's not going to be slave to big marie Callender and her cooking instructions.
It's like the Alaska state representative that refused to get the vax so she had to take a series of ferries over many days to serve her constituents.

So much winning.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I just wonder what would happen if mich was taken to a nice restaurant and a sommelier suggested a specific wine to pair with his entree.

Shit would hit the fan.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sommelier?
I don't think they have those at Applebees.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

WHAT PART OF “GRENADINE ON THE ROCKS” DID YALL NOT UNDERSTAND
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:07 pm Sommelier?
I don't think they have those at KFC
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:46 pm some have/will move forward with life. with or without the blessing of the man or big pharma and their shareholders.

#goDarwin
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

Silver lining:

https://www.wired.com/story/surprise-th ... terate/amp

(Though, you wouldn’t know it based on this user community.)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

See, it's not political.

It is about stupidity though.

Pre-pandemic cognitive function and COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy: cohort study

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9121001975
Lower cognition was robustly associated with COVID-19 vaccination hesitancy.

Of concern, elsewhere, lower cognition is also related to higher COVID-19 rates.

Erroneous social media reports might have complicated personal decision-making, leading to people with lower cognitive ability being vaccine-hesitant. With individuals with lower cognition also experiencing higher rates of COVID-19 in studies conducted prior to vaccine distribution, these new findings are suggestive of a potential additional disease burden.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A chick I work with said her grandmother-in-law recently passed. Said the booster got her.

Her grandfather-in-law and a couple others are convinced of as much, at least. The coworker isn’t so sure.

She did mention GIL was 79, high blood pressure, diabeetus, asthma or one other preexisting condition too, covid positive, and had been about a month since she got the booster.

So, clearly the booster’s to blame.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

at least the booster worked...
Just Ledoux it