COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
MICHHAWK

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by MICHHAWK »

maybe if you laid off the dope a little bit you might have the motivation.
Last edited by MICHHAWK on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Man, what a fucking disaster. Offering people a bonus to work two holidays?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wow you guys! Just wow.

Every resort worker know and accepts they’ll be working holidays. But that’s not what this is about. Its a bonus that’s never been offered before, until now. As in, it’s less a bonus to work holidays, and more a bonus to STFU about your silly covid infection.

But suuurely you guys know that, and are once again personally attacking me only in jest, and not cuz you’re strangely obsessed with me. Right? Right! No doubt!

Right?

Sigh.

Lemme just leave this here for you:

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:20 am I don't really know what to make of the revised CDC recommendations. It seems like they're acknowledging the tradeoffs from continuing longer term isolation, but I'd rather they didn't. I want them to provide the best recommendations based on the science and then let elected officials and people make decisions weighing the different tradeoffs.

What's also concerning to me is they don't appear to know how many of the cases today are Omicron vs Delta. It seemed encouraging when they thought Omicron accounted for like 78% of current cases because there's strong evidence it's a more mild version, but they revised downward big time and it appears Delta is still king.
Exactly. Walensky seems to think her role goes well beyond what it actually is. It leaves us without a source that is only looking at science.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:35 am On a practical level, we’re just slowly normalizing working while sick again.

The ski resorts, already desperate for staff, offered a bonus if workers work at least 80 hours for the 2 week Christmas-new years rush.

And much of the mindset seems to have shifted from “I have symptoms I should not work and go get tested” to “what’s a dry cough and difficulty breathing anyway, gotta get that bonus!”
Or perhaps they're trying to counteract the "Hey, I can claim I have COVID and not have to work during the holidays" mindset that seems to be pretty pervasive these days. Saw it a lot while traveling the past two weeks.

Case in point: the wife and I went to our favorite sushi place last night and encountered a hand-written sign on notebook paper taped to the front of the wait desk reading "Due to staff shortage, the wait to be seated will be 45 minutes to an hour or more." The place was a ghost town, and the guy at the front did everything he could to discourage us from coming in, including saying "It might be more like an hour and a half before we can seat you (in all of the empty seats). Would you like to go do something else and we can text you if we have a table?"

We took the hint and went somewhere that people want to make money.
“Joe Biden became mentally impaired. But Kamala? She was born that way.” - President Donald J. Trump
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m not sure that example necessarily illustrates what you think it does but ok
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

It shows the lens in which you see life.

For JK, he sees a restaurant with limited staff and thinks all the workers are staying at home faking covid. That's just crazy shit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:41 pm It shows the lens in which you see life.

For JK, he sees a restaurant with limited staff and thinks all the workers are staying at home faking covid. That's just crazy shit.
“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:45 pm
Cascadia wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:41 pm It shows the lens in which you see life.

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”
That's a brilliant quote
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

He's every bit as nuts as he was years ago when he openly bragged about getting his ass kicked at karate and even posted pictures of his black eye. What a little worm.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dont think that applies to this site.
Or people on the internet in general.
But generally, yes, I'd agree.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:49 pm

That's a brilliant quote
I'm positive that you're intimately familiar with the truth of the quote.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Agree with TDub there.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we must be willing to adapt. but only if the adaptation fits the narrative.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:30 pm I’m not sure that example necessarily illustrates what you think it does but ok
Exactly. I kind of wish they HAD seated him, and he could come here bitching that he sat there for an hour and the non existent servers never took his order.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:09 pm Agree with TDub there.
+1000
“Joe Biden became mentally impaired. But Kamala? She was born that way.” - President Donald J. Trump
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Around here, it’s completely plausible. Not that many people are actually sick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Rouuuund here,
They're faking that they're sick,
Round here,
Its not crazy shit
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is there any, uh, “free market” argument for the staffing shortage?

Which is to say, maybe it’s a wage shortage?

Do we really think workers would really turn it down if jobs really paid a competitive wage?

How many of you would be willing to serve sushi to psych during a pandemic for $2.13 an hour?
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

Is fugu on the menu?