Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:21 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:43 am
TDub wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:30 am why? he should have plenty of money.

either he just loves playing.....or he's terrible with his money.

I mean, I guess I'd play as long as I was able....but, I dunno, with the amount id money hea made in his career I might find it more pleasant to dissappear onto my Ranch or Villa somewhere.
With COVID outbreak, I am wondering if his agent thinks he can get on an NBA team for some games this season. Chicago would take him. That guy has always loved to play hoops.
Feels like this could happen at any moment.

Joe Johnson, Isaiah Thomas, and CJ Miles have all been signed in the last week.
Rio graduated high school in 2005 and will be sharing minutes with Marcus Garrett.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Fuckin rad!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Marcus and (prime) Mario would be so much fun to watch on defense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:56 pm Marcus and (prime) Mario would be so much fun to watch on defense.
If you could mash their strengths today together, you have a borderline starter. Good length, youth, A+ on the ball D, good perimeter shooter, and veteran leadership.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I miss these days.....

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:32 pm
Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:56 pm Marcus and (prime) Mario would be so much fun to watch on defense.
If you could mash their strengths today together, you have a borderline starter. Good length, youth, A+ on the ball D, good perimeter shooter, and veteran leadership.
I get the “borderline” moniker, but also think Mario is severely undersold considering he was an ACTUAL starter for years, including 4 straight finals runs that yielded 2 rings.

And wasn’t Mario’s defensive specialty less on-ball pressure and more jumping the passing lanes?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I think the on the ball D is in reference to Marcus, not Mario.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, Mario's 35 today. He's ripe to get roasted everywhere on D.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So will a lot of others on short deals while the regulars sit out.

Is there a number of guys who are on 10 day contracts and stuff while covid does its thing?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 pm I think the on the ball D is in reference to Marcus, not Mario.
Good point.

I guess my reference is to the fact Mario is/was an elite defensive player himself.

Dude holds steals records at KU and Miami.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

JoJo is a treasure.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So, Jo is a HoF lock if he picks up an MVP, yes?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:03 pm
Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 pm I think the on the ball D is in reference to Marcus, not Mario.
Good point.

I guess my reference is to the fact Mario is/was an elite defensive player himself.

As you already mentioned though, I think those records are more due to his ability to read and jump passing lanes than being an elite defensive player. He was never really matched up with an opposing team's best player and asked to lock them down. That was usually reserved for Rush or Russ, no?

That still made him a very good defender. Look how many people have no clue what to do when not guarding the ball. Just like not all shot blockers are the same, not all "great" defensive players are the same. Marcus was like the guard version of Withey, getting his steals from the man he was guarding. While Mario was more like Dok and got most of his steals from the help side/jumping lanes.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

wheres Frank? whens his shot at getting called up in this covid climate
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Frank should already be in the NBA given the talent-shortage without COVID. Only room for friends on some teams I think.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Frank's on the Lakers G League team and has been playing OK, not as well as he has in past seasons.

G League has been postponing games lately, so you never know, he could be in protocol himself. Several of his teammates have been picked up, including Mac McClung.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:33 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:03 pm
Good point.

As you already mentioned though, I think those records are more due to his ability to read and jump passing lanes than being an elite defensive player. He was never really matched up with an opposing team's best player and asked to lock them down. That was usually reserved for Rush or Russ, no?

That still made him a very good defender. Look how many people have no clue what to do when not guarding the ball. Just like not all shot blockers are the same, not all "great" defensive players are the same. Marcus was like the guard version of Withey, getting his steals from the man he was guarding. While Mario was more like Dok and got most of his steals from the help side/jumping lanes.
Yeah, you’re spot on here. Mario knew how to take advantage of players panicking because of Russ and Rush’s elite on the ball D. Mario was also good on the ball, but the other two were elite. Great combo to have.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:16 am Great article on Wiggins.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/329 ... ew-wiggins
Was just reading that. Loved the blip about his time at Kansas:

"At Kansas, where he was featured on a Sports Illustrated cover alongside an image of fellow former Jayhawks star Wilt Chamberlain, Wiggins broke Danny Manning's freshman scoring record, was the conference freshman of the year and made all-conference first team and All-American teams. Kansas coach Bill Self called Wiggins the best athlete he had ever coached.

Wiggins delivered an eye-popping 41 points, 8 rebounds, 5 blocks and 4 steals in the Jayhawks' final regular-season game at West Virginia; but he took only six shots -- scoring just four points -- in a second-round NCAA tournament upset loss against Stanford, his final collegiate game. Self said Wiggins needed more pushing than he had anticipated, that he tried to make Wiggins angry but couldn't. During Wiggins' lone season at Kansas, Self instituted a practice rule that only Wiggins could shoot, because he felt his star freshman deferred too often."
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

That's kind of the book on Wiggins, "If only he had a nasty side"

Although if he plays another 10 seasons (he's still only 26), he's going to end up Top 25 scoring in NBA history.