Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:24 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:07 pm
JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:22 pm

It's not a shortage of people who need jobs. It is a shortage of people who have a work ethic and take pride in doing a good job. It is pretty simple: Do your job well. Be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there. If you don't like your current job, get a better one. Until then, do your job well. Not sure why that is so confusing.
This sure comes off as hollow, paternalistic bullshit.
Sorry to hurt your feelings. Hate to break it to you, but paying a waiter $25 an hour isn’t going to instill a work ethic.
I’m just a customer. I would like there to be waiters. If that costs me a couple more bucks, I’m good.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Being poor is the only way to develop a work ethic! The dumb shit old privileged white guys believe is embarrassing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

$25 could be a more competitive wage. That could make the pool of applicants more competitive in turn. They could be more experienced, better qualified, and maybe even have work ethic too.

Heck, for $25 an hour, maybe even they could staff the sushi joint!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But still no benefits tho.

they got sick or hurt and wanna go to the doctor?

who do these workers think they are, the CEO?!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:06 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:36 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:48 pm

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-econo ... 9-pandemic

It looks like the Boomers have finally started retiring in higher numbers during covid as well. 2.4M of us retired earlier than planned. That opened up a lot of good jobs for younger people to move up, and then another layer under them.

Don't expect 65 year olds to come out of retirement to fill jobs flipping burgers.
yea, but when the entry level workers all think they should be jumping into CEO spots...

or that they're going to make millions on Instagram. ...
Only an old dork like you sees low wage workers saying, "Hey it would be cool to make more than $8 an hour" and thinks that means they think they should be a CEO. Companies got away with paying workers shit for generations. It was never tenable and this movement should've started long ago. If for no other reason than it makes the right people mad on the information superhighway.

im just goin off of what Qusdahl says
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

also (not sure why this is in the covid thread...)

when Taco Bell is paying $18/hr and paying employees daily (wth?)...its gonna make it real tough for small, privately owned companies to survive, which, I'm pretty sure is the opposite direction we should be headed/most people want to be headed.

I dont think killing small business is going to make the work options better...it just strengthens the corporations you're supposedly fighting against.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s on the covid thread cuz covid affects everything now. And also psych didn’t get sushi.

And that’s a valid concern, about corporations beating out the mom and pops. Any ideas how to offset that?

Cuz, it’s already happening. Bear in mind, a bidness gots plenty of expenses besides payroll.

But while the cost of things like raw materials and utilities and rent going up are more so accepted as the cost of doing bidness, the cost of labor going up is met with so many more levels of opposition.

Now should we take it to the strikes thread or is anyone gonna bring psych his Kalifornia roll?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

We could take all of the government handouts that farmers and ranchers receive and give that money to small businesses.

JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

japhy wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:48 pm

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-econo ... 9-pandemic

It looks like the Boomers have finally started retiring in higher numbers during covid as well. 2.4M of us retired earlier than planned. That opened up a lot of good jobs for younger people to move up, and then another layer under them.

Don't expect 65 year olds to come out of retirement to fill jobs flipping burgers.
yea, but when the entry level workers all think they should be jumping into CEO spots...

Only an old dork like you sees low wage workers saying, "Hey it would be cool to make more than $8 an hour" and thinks that means they think they should be a CEO. Companies got away with paying workers shit for generations. It was never tenable and this movement should've started long ago. If for no other reason than it makes the right people mad on the information superhighway.
I’m guessing you’re older than I, so you may want to reconsider your statement.
“Joe Biden became mentally impaired. But Kamala? She was born that way.” - President Donald J. Trump
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:06 pm

I know who you are and you were old 15 years ago, bitch.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:01 pm We could take all of the government handouts that farmers and ranchers receive and give that money to small businesses.

This the only reason why morons like Chuck Grassley are still viable. These guys are essentially the Military Industrial Complex with better PR. Except they are also so sanctimonious about “personal responsibility”
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:55 pm
JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:06 pm

I know who you are and you were old 15 years ago, bitch.
Chronologically, you’re older; maturity-wise, obviously not. Yay?
“Joe Biden became mentally impaired. But Kamala? She was born that way.” - President Donald J. Trump
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the social medias is very good at bringing out the worst in people.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:00 am the social medias is very good at bringing out the worst in people.
This statement summarizes 2021 quite well.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:07 pm
JKLivin wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:22 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:50 am Is there any, uh, “free market” argument for the staffing shortage?

Which is to say, maybe it’s a wage shortage?

Do we really think workers would really turn it down if jobs really paid a competitive wage?

How many of you would be willing to serve sushi to psych during a pandemic for $2.13 an hour?
It's not a shortage of people who need jobs. It is a shortage of people who have a work ethic and take pride in doing a good job. It is pretty simple: Do your job well. Be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there. If you don't like your current job, get a better one. Until then, do your job well. Not sure why that is so confusing.
This sure comes off as hollow, paternalistic bullshit.
Psych’s calling card
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:00 am the social medias is very good at bringing out the worst in people.
Yes, like calling people fat lazy pieces of shit.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just boosted the signal on my government control chip.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:53 pm Just boosted the signal on my government control chip.
Still sucks the day I was planning on getting my chip booster, I tested positive.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:58 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:53 pm Just boosted the signal on my government control chip.
Still sucks the day I was planning on getting my chip booster, I tested positive.
I’m probably a *little* early given that I had Covid over thanksgiving, but we’re going to Maui in a couple weeks and they just changed the definition of “fully vaccinated”, so.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I predict they do not ask you to do a PSA pimping the vaccines.

“I could not get my booster because I have the fungus.”