21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
sdoyel

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by sdoyel »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:58 pm I think I probably dislike Mitch as a player more than anyone on this board. He has looked good this season, but will get absolutely cooked by elite teams. I don't think Jalen is the answer at 5, either. It has to be Dave and the fact that we're entering conference play with him contributing basically nothing is a bad sign for March and April.
Mitch literally executed the same plays today that Dave could not. But I hear ya, I do.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We did not look bad with Wilson at the 5 today, we actually won those minutes and spaced the floor better. But, we're also not going to see a bunch of teams that play 5 guards like George Mason did for stretches.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I love the way dajuan plays but im still seeing him as the least talented of our rotation players. Not having Remy doing the play making for him today kind of shows he's mainly a take care of/move the ball play great defense guy. Which we knew. Nothing wrong with that. It compliments our stars and im gonna love having him around the next few years.

But dajuan playing 30+minutes a game limits this teams ceiling this year. Trim those minutes back to more like 15/20 and run jcl and yesefu more. Let em get comfortable. They are way more skilled and explosive than dajuan ever will be
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mitch is really good for what he is. But we need more from Dave. Itll be both of em playing the 5 most the time
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Anyone who think we should cut DH minutes in half for Yesufu or JCL hasn't been watching our games very closely.

JCL had a good game last night and made shots....but on the most important set play we ran near the end of the first half he totally fucked up and threw the ball out of bounds. In close games/tournament time, those mistakes can be the difference between winning a losing.

I think JCL has a role on this team. But it'll be limited.

Yesufu doesn't have a role on this team unless something changes with our roster health wise. He's just not ready. Hopefully he's more ready next year. He was Remy insurance this year, similar to JCL being Och insurance.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Self has/will cut it down to 8

Our usual 5 plus Wilson/Lightfoot/Lands

I suspect that Pettiford will see a handful of minutes as #9 shortly.

Conference play is here. Self isn’t gonna fuck around.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

Pettiford has likely fallen behind Yesufu at this point you'd have to think.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:58 pm I think I probably dislike Mitch as a player more than anyone on this board. He has looked good this season, but will get absolutely cooked by elite teams. I don't think Jalen is the answer at 5, either. It has to be Dave and the fact that we're entering conference play with him contributing basically nothing is a bad sign for March and April.
Disagree about absolutely cooked. mitch is gonna struggle against a bigger 5. the modern center is someone mccormacks size but with some shooting and mobility. but there arent a lot of those at the college level, they go pro pretty quick. mitch has turned himself into a really reliable big, he just aint quite big enough
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:16 am Anyone who think we should cut DH minutes in half for Yesufu or JCL hasn't been watching our games very closely.

JCL had a good game last night and made shots....but on the most important set play we ran near the end of the first half he totally fucked up and threw the ball out of bounds. In close games/tournament time, those mistakes can be the difference between winning a losing.

Yesufu doesn't have a role on this team unless something changes with our roster health wise. He's just not ready. Hopefully he's more ready next year. He was Remy insurance this year, similar to JCL being Och insurance.
we are a better team right now with Dajuan playing 30 minutes a game. yeah. but will we be a better team in march with dajuan playing 30 minutes? dont see it. yesefu is just a lot more talented. hes already proven it at this level. his problem is learning to fit in the offense and regaining his confidence. and dajuan is a lot better defender. I like Dajuan, a lot, I wanna see him play quite a bit and he will the rest of his career here. I just wanna see Yesefu and JCL get a few more minutes to keep building their rhythm and confidence with this team, both are very explosive players that can help this team a lot this year. we saw it against george mason from JCL, might not win that one without him.

self even said word for word he needs to get them both more minutes. its tough with a roster this deep
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:54 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:16 am Anyone who think we should cut DH minutes in half for Yesufu or JCL hasn't been watching our games very closely.

we are a better team right now with Dajuan playing 30 minutes a game. yeah. but will we be a better team in march with dajuan playing 30 minutes? dont see it. yesefu is just a lot more talented. hes already proven it at this level. his problem is learning to fit in the offense and regaining his confidence. and dajuan is a lot better defender. I like Dajuan, a lot, I wanna see him play quite a bit and he will the rest of his career here. I just wanna see Yesefu and JCL get a few more minutes to keep building their rhythm and confidence with this team, both are very explosive players that can help this team a lot this year. we saw it against george mason from JCL, might not win that one without him.

self even said word for word he needs to get them both more minutes. its tough with a roster this deep
I think Yesufu's short term potential has been overestimated due to scoring numbers from Drake from the 2nd half of last season. He didn't even start putting up those numbers until his usage skyrocketed due to injuries in their backcourt to players ahead of him on the depth chart.

I think Yesufu could become very good next year and/or the year after. I also think it's possible Yesufu gets recruited over and/or transfers for a bigger role on a worse team. I don't think Yesufu is going to become more than a 5mpg player for us this year.

Harris is better at everything other than scoring. He makes the others around him better than Yesufu does. His experience alongside Och CB Dave and Wilson for the last few years are things that aren't achievable for Yesufu this season. He's just not even close to ready.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Harris was supposed to get the ball back and drive if JCL was covered. Spaced out several times yesterday. Maybe was not feeling well. He played poorly in stretches.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:48 pm
Disagree about absolutely cooked. mitch is gonna struggle against a bigger 5. the modern center is someone mccormacks size but with some shooting and mobility. but there arent a lot of those at the college level, they go pro pretty quick. mitch has turned himself into a really reliable big, he just aint quite big enough
Mitch is one of the worst big man defenders I can remember outside of helping out from the weak side to block some shots. He gets roasted all the time when he is on the floor.
Deleted User 863

LOL

worst you can remember? Or worst rotation player defender you can remember? I can remember plenty of bigs who were worse defenders, although some never played much.

Mitch is averaging less than 14min per game fwiw.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not ready to play Mitch more at the expense of getting Dave back to where we know he can be.

But, I'm hopeful that Self's comments signal some kind of awakening that he knows we can't run our offense through Dave.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:02 am I'm not ready to play Mitch more at the expense of getting Dave back to where we know he can be.

But, I'm hopeful that Self's comments signal some kind of awakening that he knows we can't run our offense through Dave.
I mean Dave is only playing 18mpg. He can't play much less or much worse.

I think Self's comments were some media motivation. As were his comments about Yesufu getting more minutes. But for different reasons. One to motivate to play better, the other to motivate to stay positive and that his time will come (just probably not this year).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I just think it means Dave's gonna sit sooner when he plays poorly.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:06 am I just think it means Dave's gonna sit sooner when he plays poorly.
That's for sure. I'm just sick of having to play mind games with him, especially now that he's a senior and multi-year starter.

I'd feel better about it if Mitch were some great defensive player or defensive rebounder, but he's not. Dave's such a below average defensive rebounder for his size, but Mitch is, statistically, even worse! And with Dave's post defense being so much better, we're clearly better with Dave on that side of the ball.

Offensively, though, we look pretty good with Mitch because we're not force feeding him down there early in the shot clock. Mitch gets easy baskets set up by everyone collapsing on our guards. Need to do the same with Dave.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, rethink Dave as the rich man's Landen, rather than the poor man's Dirk.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:05 amAs were his comments about Yesufu getting more minutes. But for different reasons. One to motivate to play better, the other to motivate to stay positive and that his time will come (just probably not this year).
Last game showed why we should ideally have Pettiford or Yesufu ready to play later on in the 2022 season. One ball handler for Self gets him in trouble, with the exception of Devonte' in 2018, which was not a COVID year. Maybe that would be Pettiford being the more natural PG, but he has the injury. Harris showed a disappointing lack of game awareness by picking up a cheap 2nd foul early in the first half against George Mason.

This has always been a Self Achilles' heel.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 am yea, rethink Dave as the rich man's Landen, rather than the poor man's Dirk.
I must have missed all these fade away deep jumpers he's taking to be compared to Dirk.

He definitely likes to fade on his hooks and inside attempts. But not enough to warrant being called Dirk.

And he's not a rich man's Landen either imo. Landen did certain things better, but was also asked to do far less. He (Dave) is just a weird and frustrating player. Bad hands. Gets sped up. Not a great rebounder. Nice kid. Good attitude. No reason to hate him because he's who we've got this year. There isn't a magical answer on the bench.