COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by PhDhawk »

Lots of pathogens do this. Streptococcus and campylobacter for example. It occurs NATURALLY through coevolution. One strategy to evade the host immune system is for the pathogen to look like the host so the immune system won't attack it. In some cases this leads to production of antibodies or t cell receptors that are produced in high numbers that bind tightly to the pathogen, but also bind to self, because the pathogen "looks like" the host.

Those antibodies, should be destroyed before circulating, but there's a sweet spot, where an antibody binds just weakly enough to not be destroyed but strong enough to cause issues when there is clonal expansion of B cells.

I'm not aware of anyone who can create these epitopes de novo, and obviously it would be easy to detect if they used common epitopes from pathogens known to do this.

But by all means, let's uneducated blame conspiracy theories with absolutely no evidence.

In this article, they're talking about viral proteins that suppress the innate immune eresponse. If a mutation occurs that improves immune suppression there would be selection for strains with that mutation since they would be better at evading the immune system.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ProudBoy

Post by ProudBoy »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:03 pm …uneducated blame…absolutely no evidence.
Rinse, repeat.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Remember when Biden screamed at the cameras that he will "shut Covid down!" ?
Deleted User 863

And those were questions. Questions are okay. They aren't opinions.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:15 pm Remember when Biden screamed at the cameras that he will "shut Covid down!" ?
I remember when your guy said it didn't exist.
Broham
Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:33 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:15 pm Remember when Biden screamed at the cameras that he will "shut Covid down!" ?
I remember when your guy said it didn't exist.
I don't.

The only 1 of those 2 idiots i voted for was Biden. Unfortunately he's "my guy" until 2024.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm more interested in what my current president is doing.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:37 pm i'm more interested in what my current president is doing.
Much like the right used the "well Hillary would have been worse" line when difficult questions were asked, now the left uses the "but what about trump" line.

To be expected I suppose.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

when things aren't going your way it is human nature to play the blame game.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:50 pm when things aren't going your way it is human nature to play the blame game.
We see it weekly in the sports world.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:37 pm i'm more interested in what my current president is doing.
Your 401k is doing great, so he's the bestest president ever.
Broham
Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:07 pm
401ks doing well is absolutely a good thing for those of us with 401ks.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man.

So beav’s birthday is tomorrow. He’s making a big fuss about how we gotta go out for drinks. And not just any old drinks. But drinks FoR HiS BiRtHDaY!!!

As if to express concern about the texas-sized Petri dish that is the bars in town right now, is to disrespect the birthday boy.

I’m tempted to wish him the happiest of birthdays, then politely decline the invite to go out for drinks, on the usual old grounds that all his friends are just chicks who already have boyfriends.

Like for real birthday boy, if we gotta go out, then fuck the friend zone, let’s go wingman up some party girls!
Deleted User 863

Bullshit.

You just said you were out in Boulder last week without a mask (the only 1s without masks by the way). Now suddenly you're too scared to leave your house?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hey man. That was 2 weeks to the day, and a wake up call. And an eventful 2 weeks, with holiday travel and cases spiking since.

You completely mistook the point of that.

Which, of course, was obviously that there might be party girls in Boulder!
Deleted User 863

Ya (yeah* 😉)okay. I am sure you've gotten your booster already too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:31 pm
🤣🤣🤣
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:07 pm
Great? Fucking awesome! 401K up 18% this year, stock portfolio up 40% and dividends were more than twice salary. Joe Biden is my retirement GOD!

Thank you Uncle Joe.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.