Remy's Knee Thread:

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Remy's Knee Thread:

Post by pdub »

I'd say that's been the story of Dave too.
He's had a lot of shots not go his way that are right there.

While Dejuan isn't someone to really guard, he has been attacking more this season.
His FG% - helped by people sagging off him - is .466, which isn't bad on paper.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

His FG% is also helped be the fact he hardly shoots.

All these bright shiny new guards and Self plays Dajuan 35 minutes anyway.

I wonder if we’ll ever have another PG ever commit ever again.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Unless Juan pulls a Jeff Hawkins zero way Self is benching him. We’ve seen this before that once you are a Self ‘guy’ for better or worse he is going to ride with you.
Juan, is a good player. Plays his role but he has limitations. If Remy can get healthy and he gets back to how he was playing before his injury I don’t see how you can play Juan over him.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think Self likes 'tude towards him.
Tude on the court can be acceptable, not off it.
I think Remy's got some of that 'tude.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

The idea Self is infatuated with Harris is weird. Harris has been out best pg this season so he's playing the most minutes. It's that simple.

Other pgs guards have more potential. All of them do, actually. But Harris has been giving us the best chances to win games.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:13 am The idea Self is infatuated with Harris is weird. Harris has been out best pg this season so he's playing the most minutes. It's that simple.

Other pgs guards have more potential. All of them do, actually. But Harris has been giving us the best chances to win games.
Agree 100%

As fans we all pick favorites and cheer for them. I think it influences the analysis of many posters.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:13 am The idea Self is infatuated with Harris is weird. Harris has been out best pg this season so he's playing the most minutes. It's that simple.

What you posted after the first sentence is all true.

But your first sentence—Self just has a pattern.

Granted, everyone has to consider the injuries and their effect on backcourt rotation.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KANSAS basketball is my favorite. BIG 12 is my favorite. winning on the road is my favorite.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 am I wonder if we’ll ever have another PG ever commit ever again.
JFC

step away from the ledge.

It's not like Self is playing DH over future NBA players. Yesufu is currently an average college player at best.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 am

What you posted after the first sentence is all true.

But your first sentence—Self just has a pattern.

Granted, everyone has to consider the injuries and their effect on backcourt rotation.
His pattern might just be playing the players who give the team the best chance to win and who make the teammates around them better. Sum of the parts.

The pattern I see is fans falling in love with the idea of certain players and then being too stubborn to admit that without watching practices, knowing scouting reports, knowing which plays are being called and each players assignment within that play, etc., that it's impossible to just watch games and think it's possible you know better than Bill Self.

Even when some of those players don't even get in meaningful game minutes. We've got guys pouding the Yesufu drum because of a 2-3 month stretch at Drake. That's insane. This isn't Drake.
Deleted User 863

You want to criticize Self for something like fouling under 10secs up 3, go for it. I am with you.

But thinking Self plays players who make us worse just because he "likes" them is idiotic imo. He didn't get all these wins playing bad players over better players.

Some people have trouble admitting they were wrong about a player. Yesufu is a prime example this year. Last year it was TGF...but it's usually the same few people freaking out about who is in the rotation and who isn't.

Someone claimed TGF was an NBA player last year. Insanity.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 amHis pattern might just be playing the players who give the team the best chance to win . . .
You're right about this--the rest of your post is just boring please-keep-us-in-check-illy stuff.

Bill does do this, but sometimes it is to his own detriment. I am definitely not advocating playing Yesufu over Harris at this point. But we have seen Bill play his favorites early on and then watch those players get crushed in the tournament while he has built no trust in more talented guys. It is his team, that's on him.

We all make fun of Calipari for bitching about his young teams early in the season, but his less experienced/most talented players are almost always ready to play come tourney time. There's something to learn there, and Bill has been better about it the past few seasons.

For this team in particular, though, it takes only a small amount of BBIQ to see that we badly need Remy. He's been hurt, so not much you can do there. But reps need to increase to get him where he needs to be.

Also, it is pretty clear that Dajuan struggles when he gets worn down. His second half was bad last night and he looked tired. A good defender getting roasted by Goldwire, et al. He got worn down against ISU, too. Doesn't make sense to risk that happening when you do have talent on the bench you can develop. This isn't 2018 where we literally had no one else at backup PG.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It was Self who claimed that, about tgif
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:48 am
Wasn't that NBA scouts saying that? Insanity. And I don't think it was as much NBA player as it was NBA potential.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

we’ve at least closed out games this year better than last.

But last year, one of that team’s biggest issues was not having a guy who can just go get a bucket.

This year, it’s all the same guys, except we replaced Marcus with Dajuan.

The guys we brought in to get buckets are riding pine.

And yeah, it’s a matter of whether we might wanna risk some early struggles for the sake of having more talented guys ready to go when it matters.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bill putting the ball in Och's hands last night and pulling Dave out of the paint to not clog it up in that last possession was quite refreshing.

With a healthy Remy we have 5 guys that I feel pretty comfortable getting to the paint at the end of game situation and making something good happen. That's 5 more than last season!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, we have the benefit of another year of experience, and the guys did seem to turn a corner.

This team is basically 3 really good wings, plus plus an effective pg with low ceiling and questionable stamina, and cross our fingers and rub our rabbit’s foot with the big man rotation.
Last edited by ousdahl on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:04 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:48 am
Wasn't that NBA scouts saying that? Insanity. And I don't think it was as much NBA player as it was NBA potential.
Some people think everyone who jumps high has NBA potential.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You have a better chance at the league being an exceptional athlete and developing an nba skillset, than you do being a skilled player trying to develop nba-caliber athleticism.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:08 am we’ve at least closed out games this year better than last.

But last year, one of that team’s biggest issues was not having a guy who can just go get a bucket.

This year, it’s all the same guys, except we replaced Marcus with Dajuan.

The guys we brought in to get buckets are riding pine.

And yeah, it’s a matter of whether we might wanna risk some early struggles for the sake of having more talented guys ready to go when it matters.
You can't be fucking serious with this.

Och CB and JW can all get their own bucket.

And DH actually has a fucking game winner getting his own bucket.

But you've convinced yourself the guy needing 20shots a game at Drake to put up his big numbers is the answer. Again, this ain't Drake. We don't play Evansville twice a year. Look at the teams he put him numbers up against. They weren't good until USC and even then his team got beat and he took a shit load of shots.