The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:37 am I dont think it is a racial issue more of a philosophy issue on how to deal with animals attacking your livelihood.

Now whether that livelihood is responsible is another issue...and has been debated on this bored.
it’s not a race issue, but a cultural one
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s the disregard for the natural world, combined with the view that loosing even one head of livestock is economic disaster.

But as for me, I’ll be even more selfish yet, and wonder if they’ll ever come fuck with me when I’m fishing and camping up there.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s just a different philosophy and view of humans and the natural world

europeans have a long history of exploitation of the land and living off of the natural world, rather than living with it

that relatively recently has been changing in parts of the EU with highly successful rewilding campaigns of all sorts of animals, restoring much of the natural functions of those ecosystems as was seen after the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

US-specific, but the term Manifest Destiny comes to mind
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

God said I could do it bro!
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

If our population continues to grow eventually we are going to run out of space for most wild animals to exist. No easy solution to that problem.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tax benefits for those with 2 or fewer children.
Tax penalties for those with 3 or more.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the great state of Michigan has an endless supply of open space and beautiful clean crisp water. you can send your bunnies and gophers and pretty birds and chipmunks and squirrels and beavers and turkeys and chickens and foxes and such my way. we got plenty of room for them to roam.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

right?

…The Iowa Policy Project released a report in 2018 on the intense impact the growing number of CAFOs have had on waterways in the United States. They found evidence proving excess nutrients from CAFOs, like the ones found in the Pine River, can kill any life present for miles around a body of water. If ingested by humans, high levels of nitrate can cause birth defects, cancer, liver damage and a wide range of allergic reactions.

The Pine River is at the heart of this pollution debate. The river runs through five mid-Michigan counties, including Gratiot County, where Alma College is located and where Borrello’s team does most of its monitoring. Gratiot County is home to 27 CAFOs—the third highest of any county in Michigan—according to data from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE)…

https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2020/09/m ... pollution/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

Take it to the sensible politics thread.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

federal judge just ruled that the USFWS prematurely removed gray wolves from the ESA, restoring protections for the species across the lower 48
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

couldn’t decide if this should go here or the travel thread…

https://bbc.com/future/article/20211117 ... chitecture

Japhy, what say you?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pretty amazing…our first national park turns 150 next week

“Can we hope to preserve, in the midst of modern America, any such remnant of our continent’s primordial landscape, any such sample of true wildness—a gloriously inhospitable place, full of predators and prey, in which nature is still allowed to be red in tooth and claw? Can that sort of place be reconciled with human demands and human convenience? Time alone, and our choices, will tell. But if the answer is yes, the answer is Yellowstone.”

this is one of the few occasions where i regret having dogs, otherwise we’d already have a trip planned
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

too bad only an estimated 1% of ranchers are subscribing to such methods

https://blog.nwf.org/2022/03/how-regene ... ve-salmon/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

those wildlife bridges are all along Highway 9 here in CO too. That road pretty much follows the Blue River, and there's a LOT of fauna in that basin. I don't drive that stretch often, but least anecdotally, when I do there seems to be fewer dead deer along the road than there used to be.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So some of you, a year ago or so, aerated your lawns.

I haven't done this to my lawn yet since I've bought my house.
Spring I pick up all the dog shit and fallen limbs, rake, apply some weed control, then seed/fertilize.

Have any of you noticed aerating making a significant difference?
How do I get my lawn looking good so I get you all off of it?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I don't think it's necessary for most yards (importance may vary by soil type and other factors). Other things more important. Very good and necessary for golf courses though.