Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Devon a good example of why the new rules are good and need to continue to get better. Doesn't seem like he got great info.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:10 am Devon a good example of why the new rules are good and need to continue to get better. Doesn't seem like he got great info.
And it doesn't seem like he's improving at a significant enough rate that is beneficial to his long term career hopes.

Sometimes it makes sense to go. Sometimes it makes sense to stay. But with either route, actually improving as a basketball player is the most important thing to consider.

Some guys can do that in the NBA (high drive, responsible self starters). Others need more of the parental type oversight you get in college. I don't know which category Dotson falls into, but it's hard to envision him in a much different role 5yrs down the road at this point.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

To make the league Devon needed either a jumper, and/or some bonafide PG skills, but hasn’t really displayed either.

There’s a good question whether he woulda been more likely to develop it in college (better exposure but lesser overall competition and limits to things like practice cuz he’d also have to do things like go to class), or the undrafted semi pro route (can focus entirely on hoops playing against other aspiring pros focusing entirely on hoops but little media or fan attention)

Not to mention, one foot out the door his entire time here, had already declared once, and was facing the unknowns of a pandemic.

Either way, trying to think of another career choice or profession - any at all! - for which so many would call a kid an idiot for pursuing the path in which earnings are already approaching 7 figures by age 22.

And I wonder if NIL woulda been enough to keep him around. We could just as easily have fans shitting all over Devon for appearing in a Salty Iguana ad and wishing he woulda just went pro already.
Deleted User 863

I don't think money was the main deciding factor, although money is always a factor. I don't think he had pressure to provide for his family like some of our other guys have had.

It may have been impatience. It may have been bad feedback. Or maybe he was just ready to try to make the leap. Regardless, i don't think he'd have been significantly worse off long term had he stayed.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:45 am To make the league Devon needed either a jumper, and/or some bonafide PG skills, but hasn’t really displayed either.

There’s a good question whether he woulda been more likely to develop it in college (better exposure but lesser overall competition and limits to things like practice cuz he’d also have to do things like go to class), or the undrafted semi pro route (can focus entirely on hoops playing against other aspiring pros focusing entirely on hoops but little media or fan attention)

Not to mention, one foot out the door his entire time here, had already declared once, and was facing the unknowns of a pandemic.

Either way, trying to think of another career choice or profession - any at all! - for which so many would call a kid an idiot for pursuing the path in which earnings are already approaching 7 figures by age 22.

And I wonder if NIL woulda been enough to keep him around. We could just as easily have fans shitting all over Devon for appearing in a Salty Iguana ad and wishing he woulda just went pro already.
Damn dude, who pissed in your cheerios?

I don't think even the people opposed to NIL begrudge the student athletes who use the opportunity to make money.

I'm not sure he had one foot out the door. I think he did what he though was best for him, but I thought he bought in completely when here.

I didn't see him play much in the NBA, and the sample size is tiny, but while he clearly didn't become a perimeter sharp shooter, his assist numbers are pretty good (again, in a small sample size).
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:45 am To make the league Devon needed either a jumper, and/or some bonafide PG skills, but hasn’t really displayed either.

Exposure doesn't get you a jumper.

Practice does.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:08 pm

Damn dude, who pissed in your cheerios?

I don't think even the people opposed to NIL begrudge the student athletes who use the opportunity to make money.

I'm not sure he had one foot out the door. I think he did what he though was best for him, but I thought he bought in completely when here.

I didn't see him play much in the NBA, and the sample size is tiny, but while he clearly didn't become a perimeter sharp shooter, his assist numbers are pretty good (again, in a small sample size).
He was fully invested when here but it was clear that he was leaving no matter what after his sophomore season.

I have never seen him play a game in the NBA as I don't watch many NBA games closely when the college season is going so I cannot speak to how good is is or what he needs to develop. He represented Kansas well and was a key player on an excellent and entertaining team so I wish him success in his journey. I hope he is able to work his way back on to an NBA team at some point.
Deleted User 863

Ya. Exposure isn't really all that important in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the NBA (other than potential endorsements early on), at least not relative to college. If you're good enough the NBA guys are paid well to find/identify you.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Devon needs to get stronger and develop a jumper--he can do that in the G League and with professional development. Speed and defense are good enough, but subpar PG skills.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Embiid dropped 50 pts tonight
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Once again, he's in the MVP convo.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Embiid's problem with the MVP award is Jokic. They play the same position and Jokic's numbers are significantly better. Unless Philadelphia is 10+ games better than Denver, I don't know how you justify voting for Embiid.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:26 am Once again, he's in the MVP convo.
He's going to snag an MVP sooner or later you'd think.

Sure would help if his fucking franchise would trade away Simmons instead of ruining the chances at a title this season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I understand how someone could vote for Jokic over Embiid for MVP. But the fact that Joel can’t get 1st team NBA because they’re both centers is dumb as fuck.

I just want Joel to get one. Shaq and Hakeem each had only one.
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 am Embiid's problem with the MVP award is Jokic. They play the same position and Jokic's numbers are significantly better. Unless Philadelphia is 10+ games better than Denver, I don't know how you justify voting for Embiid.
Without looking I would assume Embiids defensive numbers are significantly better...but yes, playing in a league with Jokic Giannis Steph Ja etc etc etc makes it hard to get MVPs. This year is a close race it feels like.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 am I understand how someone could vote for Jokic over Embiid for MVP. But the fact that Joel can’t get 1st team NBA because they’re both centers is dumb as fuck.

I agree with this. I think 1st Team NBA should be position-less. Or, at the very least it should be 2 guards, 2 forwards and one open position.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 am I understand how someone could vote for Jokic over Embiid for MVP. But the fact that Joel can’t get 1st team NBA because they’re both centers is dumb as fuck.

I agree with this. I think 1st Team NBA should be position-less. Or, at the very least it should be 2 guards, 2 forwards and one open position.
The league, teams, coaches, and players pride themselves on playing positionless basketball.

Then it does this.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/1/ ... ant-injury

1. Stephen Curry, +180
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, +425
3. Nikola Jokic, +700
4. Kevin Durant, +900
5. Ja Morant, +1500
6. Joel Embiid, +1600
7. DeMar DeRozan, +3000
8. LeBron James, +4000
9. Luka Doncic, +5000
10. Chris Paul, +6000
Deleted User 863

I like Ja's chances better than KD now that KD is hurt.